nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Life in plastic, it's fantastic: Playmobil supremo dies at 81

Anonymous Coward

Please pass our condolences to our Playmonaut

Silver badge

Disappointed

Expected to see a reconstruction. Are you sure it really happened?

Silver badge

RIP

There aren't many people who can claim to have brought years of fun and pleasure to millions of kids and big kids.

Silver badge

Playmobil

Or it didn't happen

Silver badge
Happy

And it's still appreciated today...

...and unlike LEGO, it's still pretty much the same as ever, updated, but still the same principles.

My youngest daughter loves her Playmobil Car and Caravan set and plays with it almost daily.

Silver badge

Will Playmonaught be given special leave to attend the funeral?

Paris Hilton

He'll go far, that one.

"exported 2.2 billion figurines to 70 countries"

And to the edge of space.

If only I'd kept it...

My parents bought me one of the Native American figures in the mid 70s, but I never realised that it was one of the first models that they released.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: If only I'd kept it...

I had all three, a couple more and I would of had the Village people.

Anonymous Coward

Big fucking deal

It's not anywhere even close to Lego.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Big fucking deal

Meh - you're not anywhere close to the icon here.

Silver badge

He's probably a sibling of some American Child that choked to death on a McDonald's Happymeal (Playmobil), Toy, back in the '80s...

Forgive me for a serious answer to stupid trolling but:

Lego and Playmobil don't work the same way. Playmobil is about "let's pretend" type playing, where they're used to construct stories. My kids sometimes set out epic-scale 'sets' with detailed stories about what everyone is doing.

Lego is more about the pleasure of inventing, building, doing. So there's still the creativity but it's put into creating 'things', not stories.

Completely complimentary, and adapted to different types of children, or the same children for different types of play. In a past age, I would have said that Playmobil is for girls and Lego for boys, but beside the fact that you can't say that stuff any more, it was only ever an approximation.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Apart from Lego these days is more like build what it says in the instructions and that's pretty much it.

Silver badge

When I was a kid...

One of my best friends dad was a salesman for Playmobil and his garage was literally stuffed to the rafters with the stuff. The scuba diver was always my favourite, thus mirroring my favourite pastime now I am (almost) all grown up.

Happy memories.

RIP Horst.

Silver badge
Pint

our sincere regrets

to his family and close friends. i didn't know you, but i (and my sprog) know your creations and thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing