nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Closet Queens, Quicksand and Book of Numbers

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

"Joshua Cohen, like many mediocrities seems intent on displaying his intellect, but has no great eye, poor editing skills and is unable to fashion a coherent whole. Book of Numbers reads like a first draft, or a bad case of logorrhoea... an unedited stream of crapulence."

Sweeeet. I wanna be a critic too! Where do I sign up?

JLV
Silver badge

Well, to be fair, there are many a book for which I would have benefited from reading such a scalding review. As in, not reading them. Life is short and one doesn't have to be a builder to observe that a roof is leaky.

Silver badge

Editor? Pah!

Pretty sure Ian Banks writ The Wasp Factory.

Re: Ian Banks writ The Wasp Factory

Indeed he did, although I took that reference as meaning there are also shades of Banks in Kennedy Toole's style (or vice-versa), a comparison I wouldn't completely disagree with (although I'm possibly biased insofar as I loved A Confederacy of Dunces and also loved almost everything I've read by Banks, which runs to dozens). But I agree, it isn't clear.

Aside from that, sounds like a decent read, especially if it reaches some of the heights of either Banks or Kennedy Toole.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing