back to article What does it take to find the Antikythera Mechanism? Underwater robots, of course!

A few days from now, Christian Lees will be in the Greek islands, sunning himself on the deck of a colossal private yacht. Staff on the yacht will prepare his meals, even do his laundry. But those staff can't program or troubleshoot Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV), which is why Lees will be aboard the yacht during its …

1. Tromos

What does it take to find the Antikythera Mechanism?

Answer: A visit to the national archaeological museum in Athens where this incredible device is on display.

1. Christoph

Re: What does it take to find the Antikythera Mechanism?

We have part of it. We don't have it all, and there might be other similar things there. Even a tiny chance of finding more of that device is very well worth it!

2. Bleu

Re: What does it take to find the Antikythera Mechanism?

You are quite correct, and it is likely an accurate reconstruction.

I did not know of that before, thanks Tromos.

2. x 7

What? Its in Greece? How come we didn't pinch it for the British Museum? That one got away..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't worry at this rate it is not long until it is a collateral to a loan

Don't worry, we can still get it from a bankruptcy fire sale.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: Don't worry at this rate it is not long until it is a collateral to a loan

Check out the shop down the road with the three brass balls.

2. Interceptor
      Coat

Of course it's in Greece; all those gears would seize up otherwise.

3. Richard Taylor 2
      Unhappy

They were not prepared to sell this one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool article

Good to see alongside expat and call out series

4. Bleu

Do you really think

this is more than a vanity project for the diver?

I am a student of history, of course, the story we are continually force-fed, how advanced was Islam, it is obvious that everything came from the Eastern Roman Empire, at first, then a little later, more from India and Persia.

We have no idea how advanced the ancient western world really was, it was clearly very advanced to know that the world was round and circled the Sun, accurately estimate its size, much more.

In the east, all knowledge was to repeatedly being destroyed, much more than by the rise of Christianity in Rome.

Although, it would be a peak experience to read 'Famous Whores of History' by Suetonios, understandable that the monk copyists chose not to copy that one, lasting disappointment for moi.

1. Mark 85

Re: Do you really think

I think it's more about the insatiable human curiosity gene. We're curious creatures. If there was some of this down there, it stands to reason that there might be more. Hell, I like to see the whole thing. It won't change my life or the world but it might give us clue.

<smarmy aside> Hopefully the missing part, when found, won't say: "Made in China".

</smarmy aside>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

And what if it does?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
          Trollface

@theodore

Then, Apple surely would have a patent on AM.

Btw, it doesn't have round corners, does it?

2. Bleu

Sure, it would be lovely to see a reconstruction or simulation of the whole mechanism in its original form. I very much doubt that this diver will find anything to contribute to that.

1. Richard Taylor 2

But of course a diver found the original - so one can hope.

There was an extremely good BBC4 program that looked at the device an posited (along with simulations) a convincing mechanism.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. cortland

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ancient-greek-gears-the-mystery-of-the-first-computer-1.1601361

7. Jonathan Richards 1
    WTF?

Nice work if you can get it

> ...the robots he tends will conduct a magnetic survey of the wreck site.

> If either vessel finds signs of bronze on the sea bed, that's where divers will be directed.

Magnetic bronze, wozzat? Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, neither of which is magnetic, and neither is the alloy, of course. Something doesn't quite add up in this story.

1. Ragarath

Re: Nice work if you can get it

It may not be magnetic in and of itself but, do magnetic fields change when in it's presence?

Edit: I've just read that because bronze is a good electrical conductor a changing magnetic field can create eddy's in the bronze. This would seem a good way, assuming these eddy patterns are unique to bronze, would be a good way to find bronze. Not sure how true this is though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like