back to article City of birth? Why password questions are a terrible idea

Using secret questions to give people access to their passwords is a terrible idea, according to a new paper from Google. A white paper [PDF] called "Secrets, Lies, and Account Recovery: Lessons from the Use of Personal Knowledge Questions at Google" dug into the data of millions of users interactions with a range of password- …

Page:

1. choleric
    Terminator

inquiring minds

Yes but what is Google's favourite food this month?

1. Antonymous Coward
      Terminator

Re: inquiring minds

Fucktard.

That one never changes. Google is a fucktardivore.

Which makes me wonder if there's truth to the old adage you are what you eat... the empirical evidence El Reg just presented doesn't seem to leave much room for doubt... hmmm...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can see from your down votes that Google employees are spamming the comment board again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whenever I lose my Google password, I just call the NSA. After all, Google hands them everything anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

obligatory dilbert

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Spell it phonetically

Combine phonetic spelling, especially in conjunction with any local accent you may have, and it suddenly makes password guessing a whole lot harder, even if you do have the details plastered all over your farcebook page.

eg: City of Birth: Lifpull vs Liverpool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spell it phonetically

Brilliant! Ergo: sanfrnsisco

2. Deltics

Why does the answer even have to relate to the question ?

If you simply adopt the practice of consistently using the same non-relevant answer to a particular question you both improve the ability to recall it (since it is contextual - password recovery - and specific - always the same for a given question)

e.g.

Town where you were born: Fish and chips

Mothers maiden name: Capsicum

Favourite food: Kylie Minogue

Needless to say, these are not the answers I use. :)

1. Craigness

"Why does the answer even have to relate to the question?"

My father's middle name has 200 bits of entropy, constantly changes, and is stored in my password manager.

Why would a company want customers who are likely to forget their password anyway?

1. Yag

...stored in my password manager.

Why would a company want customers who are likely to forget their password anyway?

Love the irony...

1. Craigness

"Love the irony..."

I've never forgotten a password, because I have a password manager. I don't see the irony there. The point is that an easy to guess "security" question makes the password weak, nomatter how long it is, so the answer to the question has to be something which can't be guessed, and your father's name should be different on every site just like your password is. That requires a password manager...and that's the irony! Instead of having 1 high-entropy string to remember, you have 2.

1. Yag

You don't remember your password. It's your password manager that remembers them for you.

No need for justification, it's fine you know...

2. h4rm0ny

>>"My father's middle name has 200 bits of entropy, constantly changes"

Let me guess, your father is Bruce Schneier?

1. breakfast Silver badge
            Thumb Up

His full name is currently Bruce QKNNqX5RPied54StngMi0ZfMNF8l637cwywzQJ1302FdwG3R4NLodqYi1vMy6FS Schneier.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Reminds me of the BOFH episode where Simon reminisced about the time he set the password expiry time to 24 hours and minimum required length to 32 characters, forcing people to use a password generator which produced results looking like "vaguely pronounceable line noise"

Brilliant

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the BOFH episode where Simon reminisced about the time he set the password expiry time to 24 hours and minimum required length to 32 characters, forcing people to use a password generator which produced results looking like "vaguely pronounceable line noise"

You're referring to this passage… from The Striped Irregular Bucket (which predates the BOFH):

I hang up - he'll call back. Meantime I open up a copy of "VMS BASTARD OPERATORS MANUAL FROM HELL" I'm reading the article I sent in about getting rid of those trouble users...

"... Modify the user's password minimum from 6 to 32 letters, give the password a 1 day lifetime, set it so that they HAVE to use the password generate utility when they change their password (so their password will always be something that looks like vaguely pronouncable line-noise), add a secondary password with the same as the above, then redefine their CLI tables so that the only command that works is DELETE, and all other commands point to it."

(Above passage © Simon Travaglia, ~1988~89)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" using the same non-relevant answer to a particular question ....Favourite food: Kylie Minogue"

Non relevant for you perhaps. There's some people round here would be delighted to have a munch.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damned lies

A few years back I cashed in the residue of a UK ISA (remaining balance just £1.50 but local tax laws forced it to be closed). No longer being in Blighty it transpired this would be a serious posterial pain involving sending of certified passport copies to validate signatures, etc, but their helpful man on the phone explained I could skip all that simply by registering for their internet banking access, then login and transfer the investment funds to wherever I liked. So off I toddled and being in a hurry and not overly concerned about the risk that some miscreant steal my half-a-cup-of-coffee's worth I pasted "sasquatch" into all the security question prompts. Clickety-click, done, now to close the account... "Please phone our banking service team for this request"

"Hello Mr Mongo, I can see your account number but first I just have to ask you some security questions...what was your grandfather's occupation?"

"Sasquatch"

"That's fine ... now what was the name of your first school?"

"(nervous giggle) Sasquatch"

"Ahhh...and was your first pet's name?"

"Sasquatch, too. I mean too as in also, not two as in the number...I really didn't expect I'd be telling these to a person, it was just a nice word to say..."

He kindly overlooked my embarrassed tittering, didn't go all jobsworth about this horrific breach of security best practice, nor yet accuse me of lying to one of Her Majesty's civil servants for pecuniary advantage. And (in my defense) no amount of dumpster diving or Facebook scraping would have revealed my family's secret shame that grandpa used to roam the American woods in a monkey suit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Damned lies

You're more sensible than I am. At one time, all of the answers to my security questions were strings of obscenities. I think I'm going to start using strings like: theresabombunderyourchair

2. VinceH
      Joke

"And (in my defense) no amount of dumpster diving or Facebook scraping would have revealed my family's secret shame that grandpa used to roam the American woods in a monkey suit."

Yet you happily revealed that shameful secret in a comment on El Reg!

I think as a punishment, you should don a dinosaur suit and start swimming in Loch Ness.

3. Bob Dole (tm)

I suspect a LOT of people do this. I know I do.

4. Andrew Jones 2

This would explain Google's ridiculously over complicated password recovery system then.

A friend was trying to remember her password and we eventually opted for the account recovery thing.

An email address we can contact you on.

What is the last Password you remember

When did create your account MM/YY

When can you remember last using your account MM/YY

Secret Question & Answer

When did you last use:

Google Mail MM/YY

Hangouts MM/YY

Google+ MM/YY

Wallet MM/YY

OK it only wanted approximate dates - but still - I went through that 6 times - before we finally recovered her account!

1. Qu Dawei

only password recovery

I've found gmail to become almost unusable since it seems to object to me accessing my email account with them from multiple locations. It required the use of some bizarre extra level of security I could just do without, and there was no way of opting out from it. A total pain.

1. Phuq Witt

Re: only password recovery

Plus a zillion on that!

I opened an account with Yandex mail and [as one of the options] chose to import my existing email from a Gmail account. It didn't work and I later got an email from Google along the lines of "We prevented unauthorised access to your account".

Clicking a link in that email took me to a Google Account Security page where a nice map showed me that an attempt had been made to access my account from St. Petersburg, Russia [obviously Yandex's mail importer trying to do it's thing].

Under the map was a box to tick saying something along the lines of "It's OK. That was me". So I ticked this and went back to Yandex to try again...

Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam.

No matter how many times I told Google it was OK to allow the connection attempt from St. Petersburg, they still blocked it —even after I ticked some other option to use less stringent security on my Gmail account.

5. itzman

What is the name of your pet rabbit?

I dont have a pet rabbit.

Actually the things I use tend to be stuff that is buried so far in my altogether too long past that no one else has a cats chance in hell of discovering them

I am probably the only person alive who remembers the name of the family cat in 1954....

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Joke

Re: What is the name of your pet rabbit?

But why the heck would someone name a cat "in 1954"?

1. Naughtyhorse

clearly a top secbod

2. Irongut

At least you had a family cat. I've never owned a pet, don't have a favourite food or colour and my father has no middle name. A lot of the truthful answers to my security questions are 'None'.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about a hacker looking me up on Facebook to find out the other answers. I've never had an account and my name is common enough they would probably find someone else.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

Even worse

I've been asked for my city of birth....

"Ocala"

"Response must be 8 letters or longer"

"Ocala, FL"

"Response cannot contain spaces or punctuation"

My next response didn't contain spaces or punctuation, but it certainly contained my opinion of the bank and the coders.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Even worse

Something along the lines of "LearnToCodeProperlyYouLazyGits"?

2. Craigness

That would help some of the 38% of Koreans. And Londoners, Parisians, Romans, Dubliners, Los Angelinos,......

3. Crazy Operations Guy

What is your favorite color? (Answer must be 8 characters or longer). So that gives only two options (That I can think of): Aqua-marine and Vermilion...

1. choleric

Turquoise?

1. king of foo

Durchfall ?

Because I can't spell it in Englisch... despite being Schottisch.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
            Trollface

@king of foo, I'm sure your Durchfall has some colour and I don't want to hear any more details about that. But I'd tell you the same as recently told the missus: apricot is a fruit and not a feckin' colour!

1. Myself-NZ

What about orange ? Both a fruit and a colour.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
                Boffin

What about orange ? Both a fruit and a colour.

Fun fact: No they aren't. Not really :D

2. Captain Hogwash

Use modifiers e.g. dark black, light black, pale black, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The use of these type of questions is clearly stupid. The answers are either easily guessable or unmemorable. I also don't want to give that kind of information to the majority of sites I use.

The only solution I've come up with is to make stuff up and store it in a password manager.

3. Picky

Aqua-marine contains a hyphen ... ncomputer says no ...

4. tony2heads

color:#80BFFF

5. Kubla Cant

Ultramarine? Viridian? Charcoal? Aureolin?

But seriously, who the hell has a favourite colour past the age of six?

6. Stoneshop

What is your favorite color?

Ultraviolent, infradead, burnthombre, loathsomelilac, gangreen...

Or maybe BlueNoyelAuuuuuuuugh!

7. heyrick Silver badge

Amaranth? Chartreuse? Cerulean?

(red, yellow (or green as a web colour for some reason), greeny-blue)

8. Tromos

Greenish

4. Whit.I.Are

Re: Even Worse

I had the same with my mother's maiden name - which at 4 characters long was too short for the dumbass site I was trying to register for.

1. Stoneshop
        Pint

Re: Even Worse

I had the same with my mother's maiden name

I have an inkling their code would also barf if your mother's father was Johann Gambolputty-de-von-Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crass-cren-bon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelter-wasser-kurstlich-himble-eisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittleraucher-von-Hautkopft von Ulm

(beer, to lubricate your throat in case you have to read it on the telephone)

5. jonathanb Silver badge

The largest cities in most countries I can think of are less than 8 characters long.

6. Irongut

The first line of my address has a slash in it. This could be replaced by a dash and the postie will still understand. What really annoys me is the number of sites that won't allow punctuation of any kind in an address. Especially since you pick what you want to buy, they make you create an account with a bunch of stupid security questions and only as you're completing the order do they tell you that / isn't allowed in an address.

YES IT BLOODY WELL IS!

7. macjules
      FAIL

Florida, fine but a bit of an embuggerance if you come from somewhere like Luxembourg, Andorra, Lichtenstein or Monaco.

Significantly worse if you happen to have been born in Scunthorpe I think.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like