back to article Orange squeezed over Jazztel buy: Sell your Spanish FTTH network or else

Europe’s competition chief has OKed Orange’s plans to take over Jazztel in Spain, but only subject to a shitload large number of conditions. Orange has promised to sell off its independent Fibre-To-The-Home (FTTH) network in 13 urban districts in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla and Málaga — representing 800,000 buildings …

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

No effective competition

What she said doesn't make any sense, since there is effectively no competition in this market. Many households have no FTTH available, and almost none have more than one. E.g. Telefónica can charge what they want; it doesn't matter what Vodafone might charge, if the fibre to your house isn't Vodafone; you pay Telefonica's asking price, or you go without.

1. murri

Re: No effective competition

Well, in the gothic district of Barcelona, where I live we have 2 options for FTTH: Jazztel and Movistar. The first offers 200/200 and the other 300/30 - for a similar price. I used to have Movistar (Telefonica) but switched to Jazztel for the upload, and I had to have the fiber into the flat redone, as they plugged me into a different box (yes, there are 2 seperate boxes on the street).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like