Why Should I Stop Pirating Videos in Australia?

This topic was created by Sanctimonious Prick .

1. Sanctimonious Prick
    Alert

Why Should I Stop Pirating Videos in Australia?

I'm not a big-time monthly video/data 'downloader', but I'm a hoarder, and currently have on my NAS many TB of data, most of which are videos; television shows, movies; pirated using P2P protocols/networks over many years.

That all stops right now... seriously. My girlfriend* just subscribed to one of the new online video streaming services, paying <$10p/m, and my neighbour* just got cable TV with a set top box that I'm allowed to program and watch any time he's home and not into anything else for a $5p/m contribution towards his $25p/m subscription.

This is a major shift for me. I can no longer justify pirating videos any more.

I remember going through a similar shift in regards to MP3s. When they became available online at a pretty much acceptable price, and pretty much instantly worldwide; it removed the justification for pirating music.

Seriously, I call on Australia to remove their P2P clients and start using the other paid resources that are available to them. We really want bloody good content. Let's all make sure the content producers get flipping rich, and want to create more, and better content - and let those same content producers see that Australia cares, and pays! Then maybe, hopefully, they'll produce some of their content here... :)

OK. So I'm a bit of a 'freeloader' and a 'wishful thinker.'

What about you? Has your attitude changed in recent times?

*nonentities

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon