back to article Relax, it's just Ubuntu 15.04. AARGH! IT'S FULL OF SYSTEMD!!!

Systemd is here. It’s arrived in Vivid Vervet, the latest, just-released distro of Ubuntu – 15.04. Most users will notice very little overall difference in this latest Ubuntu release, but it’s this change that packs the biggest punch. There are a couple of new things that make 15.04 worth the upgrade from previous versions, …

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

systemd? Do not want.

I'm sticking with BSD and Slackware ...

1. DrXym

Re: systemd? Do not want.

Luxury and extravagance. I'm sticking with a VT220 terminal attached to a PDP-11 running V7 Unix.

1. jake Silver badge

One of my greenhouses runs on CP/M. Has for three decades or so. It works, so why change it?

The messaging system at the barn has been running on a Heath H11A since 1979.

Inventing stuff purely to invent stuff is good. Foisting it off on clearly deluded, technology impaired consumers as "this is the newest, bestest, holy cow you have to have it NOW!" is exploitation.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"One of my greenhouses runs on CP/M. Has for three decades or so"

mmm. 30-year old electronics. 1980s vintage electrolytics. Fun.

Still at least they're unlikely to get purple plague (I've only seen that in early-mid 70s manufactured ICs)

1. Linker3000

'sabout now the EPROMs (if any) start dropping the odd bit.

2. jake Silver badge

"30-year old electronics."

No. These days, it's run by an aging[1] headless Slackware laptop running a CP/M emulator. The original control code has mutated slightly, as I've had to replace hardware in the trenches over the years. I have the original hardware, it might still boot, but I'm planning to bring it up gradually in a restoration.

[1] HP hardware, circa 2003. Pre bad-capacitor HP.

2. Jim 59

The messaging system at the barn has been running on a Heath H11A since 1979.

Pics or it didn't happen.

1. jake Silver badge

@ Jim 59 & Linker3000 (was: @ Re: systemd? Do not want.)

"Pics or it didn't happen."

The LSI-11 is running in emulation. Today, the Heath is sitting on a plinth in a place of honor in a corner of the office, and my one major dust-catcher. She's the first "modern" computer I built from the bare copper-covered fiberglass boards, complete with an actual GlassTTY. She still runs on power-up, which happens rarely. I've heard quieter dragsters ...

"'sabout now the EPROMs (if any) start dropping the odd bit."

I have an EPROM burner, and know how to use it.

2. Neil 44

I always thought it was Edition 7 not V7....

1. jake Silver badge

@Niel 44 (was:Re: systemd? Do not want.)

Nope. It was Version 7.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
          Happy

Re: I always thought it was Edition 7 not V7....

Seventh Edition if you're being formal, but V7 to its friends. And a bloody good vintage.

3. 's water music

I have been unhappy with the direction taken by info tech since Linear B. TBH I would have stuck at Linear A but I lost the source media.

1. jake Silver badge

@ 's water music (was: Re: systemd? Do not want.)

You are obviously not a Cretan, and can't read hieroglyphics.

1. Dan Paul

Re: @ 's water music (was: systemd? Do not want.)

You must have meant "Thetan" Jake. It's synonymous with "cretin"

1. jake Silver badge

@Dan Paul (was:Re: @ 's water music (was: systemd? Do not want.))

No, I meant "Cretan". Really.

But I don't disagree with your comment in any other way, other than the fact that I am "jake", not "Jake". "Jake" is an entirely different commentard.

4. Ilsa Loving

Bah. Bloated pile of crap. Now these two rocks I have here....

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Systemd doesn't bother me too much, though I dislike the concept. It's Unity itself which gets up my nose; it's no doubt all very wonderful but it's not a patch on, for example, Cinnamon - or even Mate, though I note that's now an option.

The Amazon connection doesn't strike me as The Way Things Should Be[tm] and seeing adverts for paid software in the software centre was something of a surprise, too...

That said, if the guys from Crouton could see their way to getting an installation for Ubuntu Mate onto a chromebook, I'd give that a go. (Trying to get Mate onto a 12.04 Crouton installation is tricky; I can't see how to start the damn thing!)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mate + Compiz = best DE ever! Blazing fast & beautiful

1. asdf

>Mate + Compiz = best DE ever

Lumina + Compton is assured to be systemd free for years to come (still a bit rough to use but getting better all the time) so that's what I use but Mate being based on gtk2 only should be able to be ported to other better *nix for quite some time to come as well.

2. qtcoder

MATE? Fast, yes. Beautiful, no.

2. handle

@Neil Barnes: adverts

"The Amazon connection doesn't strike me as The Way Things Should Be[tm] and seeing adverts for paid software in the software centre was something of a surprise, too..."

While I don't like the intrusive Amazon search, I have no problems with the Software Centre listing or advertising paid-for software (and other things such as magazines). It's both heartening to see how many vendors consider it's worth porting/building for the platform, and if it earns Canonical commission then why not? Someone has to pay for the software development and I'm sure Mark Shuttleworth's is not infinitely wealthy. I see it as a welcome step towards the mainstream.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
          Joke

Re: @Neil Barnes: adverts

"I have no problems with the Software Centre listing or advertising paid-for software"

Soon you'll see ads for Windows 10, blue pills, and dating services elsewhere on the OS.

Is there a way to turn it off, or can I install an "Adblocker+ for Software Centre" (from the same SW Centre of course)?

3. Tomato42
      Stop

do you want a Pentium Pro with them, or those MMX extensions are too newfangled too?

1. joeldillon

The Pentium Pro didn't have MMX, that came with the Pentium II.

1. psyq

Actually, no, MMX came with Pentium refresh (P55C revision, to be precise).

http://www.cpu-museum.de/?m=Intel&f=Pentium-MMX+%28P55C%29

First Pentium II did not bring anything new on that level, it was Pentium III which brought the first version of the SSE instruction set.

4. Fungus Bob
      Mushroom

BSD and Slackware are for children, I'm sticking with Novell DOS 7. Personal Netware is not for wimps!

5. qtcoder

So how is Steam working on your BSD? And how is your Slackware phone doing?

1. jake Silver badge

@qtcoder (was:Re: systemd? Do not want.)

"So how is Steam working on your BSD?"

Evaporated before birth. I use computers as tools, not time-wasting toys.

"And how is your Slackware phone doing?"

For mobile use, I use a 15 year old Nokia 5185. Likewise, the telephone at my elbow as I type is a 1950s Western Electric model 500. All I want a telephone to be is a telephone.

(The Nokia is about to permanently lose service, alas. Not sure where I'll go after that. The WE will last until $TELCO decides to kill pulse dialing ...)

1. BitDr

Re: @qtcoder (was:systemd? Do not want.)

Do they (the telecom) still charge you extra for touch tone? They do around here, if they kill pulse then they would have to give up the extra fee.

2. tlhonmey

Re: @qtcoder (was:systemd? Do not want.)

Check out the "Open Phoenux". Doesn't really meet your "just a telephone" requirements, but you get to run a real OS on it instead of that Android crap. Not sure if it'll run BSD, but it does run Debian or Gentoo.

2. digihans

Steam? Nothing beats a pack of cards.

Slackware phone? You never have to re-charge your rotary-dialer...

Change does not imply improvement

3. asdf

Steam is a hot mess on Linux anyway. Half the games aren't available and the performance still doesn't come close to matching Windows for the vast majority of them. You would probably be able to get nearly as many to run using the windows client under wine on BSD probably with better performance than the linux native. If you plan on doing any serious steam gaming you are still going to have a windows boot partition sadly.

6. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Salix is much better than Slackware - all the BSDs have integrated package management, and its omission in Slackware by default is just too painful. The use of lilo instead of grub is unusual these days, as is the fact it boots without an initrd, but the use of mbootpack enables even complex Xen configurations to boot.

I did have to terminate Networkmanager with extreme prejudice - I'm sure it must be possible to get a bridge working reliably on startup using it, but life is too short. It's also on a system which just runs a lot of VMs and will never run X, or add/remove physical network adapters (virtual is a different matter).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmm - last I checked if you boot slackware with the generic kernel instead of the huge kernel, an initrf is required or it won't boot.

7. Chris Fox

Re: systemd? Do not want. Try Voidlinux

I tried a number of systemd-free distributions on virtual machines and servers (including Gentoo, Funtoo, Slackware, Devuan alpha, Manjaro-openrc, Voidlinux). The smoothest so far has been Voidlinux, a rolling-release binary distribution, with XFCE 4.12 as the default desktop, which also works on a Pi2. Previously this distribution was an early adopter of SystemD, when it was just an init system. But it has switched to runit, which makes SystemD unit files look like a complicated tangled mess. Some things need a little bit of work, e.g. occasionally there may be bugs in some less commonly used packages, and you have to write your own init file if you use Openvpn, but with runit, that is just one line long...

If it really is about "fixing" init, then there are numerous excellent alternatives that aren't invading body-snatchers with half a millions of lines of undocumented and uncommented code, and no specification, maintained by a closed community for whom bug-fixing is seen as a pointless distraction that has to be sacrificed on the alter to the one true goal of never-ending function creep.

[Some Debian SystemD apologists keep saying SystemD is only a default in Debian Jessie, and other init systems can be used, but the debootstrap program has a trivial bug that means it fails to read the non-systemd options. The maintainer refuses to fix this obvious bug because "SystemD is the default". And then there are random programs and packages that are configured to pull in SystemD and related crap rather than treat them as optional dependencies (CUPS and XFCE spring to mind). Hopefully Devuan will fix this, at least for server-based installations, and Voidlinux makes a fine replacement for Wheezy on the desktop.]

8. Colin Tree

Nearly two decades of Debian for me, but now Slackware for the next two ?

2. Duncan Macdonald

No thanks

Having seen some of the garbage from the systemd developers - I will choose a distro without systemd (and if possible without pulseaudio as well).

Systemd seems to have been designed by people trained in the Microsoft tradition of "Embrace, Extend Extinguish".

The one of the biggest problems with systemd is its reliance on binary databases that are far more difficult to analyse and repair than plain text files. Init files can be manipulated by any text editor and can easily be corrected by booting from an alternative device (eg a USB stick) if damaged so badly that even a single user boot fails. If a systemd database is corrupted then to repair it requires either a recent backup or the rescue system needs a compatible version of systemd to allow the damaged database(s) to be recreated.

I wonder if any group will produce a distro based on the most widely used linux system - the linux in Android.

1. rtfazeberdee

Re: No thanks

You obviously have no idea what systemd does or doesn't do. you've read too many negative posts and taken their word for it without checking to see if they are true.

What binary database does systemd rely on? the only binary bit is storage of journal records. all the config files are text in the "ini" file format.

I guess you believe that any corrupted file is magically recreated. if any file is corrupt, its back to backups (if possible)

I suggest you read up about systemd and its capabilities before you spout of complete crap otherwise it makes you look stupid or like a troll.

"What binary database does systemd rely on? the only binary bit is storage of journal records. "

Which, when shit hits fan, you WANT in human-readable format.

systemd attempts to make bootups much faster by parallelising the startup but on my systems it tripped over its own shoelaces quite a bit before I got it to behave and had I had to resort to a live CD, may not have been diagnosable.

1. rtfazeberdee

when the shit hits the fan i.e. the hard disk writes zeroes over all your logs, you cannot read it anyway, no matter what format its in.

if systemd was tripping up, then its down to configuration by you or your distro.

"if systemd was tripping up, then its down to configuration by you or your distro."

As I hadn't done anything to it other than install, it might have been distro (ubuntu) but for whatever reason it had several dependencies mixed up and was starting processes in the wrong order, which resulted in "no networking" and failure to initialise ZFS amongst other issues.

If something is touted as a drop in replacement for SysV/BSDinit/upstart and gets installed as part of an upgrade procedure then it should WORK as a drop-in replacement, not require a bunch of tweaking.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's your best argument; it's you or your distro's fault, not systemd.

Kettle, pot, etc.

2. hplasm
        Gimp

"I suggest you read up about systemd and its capabilities before you spout of complete crap otherwise it makes you look stupid or like a troll."

read it.

Sytemd is still shit.

1. rtfazeberdee

thats your best argument. "Sytemd is still shit." - speaks volumes about your knowledge of it

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Systemd is the svchost.exe of Linux.

2. hplasm
            Gimp

"thats your best argument."

Well, the fact that you need a 'ini-style' set of startup files shows that your linux knowledge is wriiten in large type on the back of your MCSE...

1. snorage

*grabs some popcorn*

3. Jim 59

I don't like systemd because of its Windows-esque design ethos. There are some good things about Windows, but the core design definitely isn't one of them. Meanwhile, Unix/Linux has been so successful because it prizes elegance and simplicity over all other design concerns, enabling it to slice through the complexity which is the enemy of all computer systems.

How's systemd managing the dreaded complexity ? Well, it is now over half a million lines...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have direct emperical contact with systemd. It is a disaster not just waiting to happen but already happening.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like