back to article Italian ISS trekkie sips first zero-G cup of espresso in SPAAAACE

The ISS now has a functioning espresso machine and it was Italy's first woman in space, astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti, who got the first shot – although not before donning a Star Trek uniform for the occasion. "Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." Fresh espresso in the new Zero-G cup! To boldly brew... pic. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next is to have Earl Grey tea...

... for the next bald captain...

1. Chris Miller

Re: Next is to have Earl Grey tea...

Don't forget to specify 'Hot' for the benefit of USians who might want to adulterate it with ice.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Blow the Earl Grey... can it do Lapsang Souchong? Inquiring minds want to know!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

Lapsang Souchong?

Yer wot? Tea is tea! Innit! We'll have one of that poncy stuff here!

2. Richard Taylor 2

Forget ice, they don't even know about boiling water

2. Richard Taylor 2
    Facepalm

Delusional

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." Fresh espresso in the new Zero-G cup! To boldly brew...

Much though I love Italian food this is deluded. Yorkshire tea obviously.

3. Mark 85

What's next... lattes? cappuccinos? I still think they need to figure out how to make beer up there.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

And I thought that in space nobody could hear...

...us (Italians) complaining (as usual) about the bad quality of coffee!!!

Icon's a pint, as I live in Blightly now and I alternate the two types of beverage.

1. MrXavia

Re: And I thought that in space nobody could hear...

Finding a good cup of coffee is very very hard, its all about the beans, and no offence intended, but Lavazza is not a name I associate with the best coffee...

1. Sporkinum

Re: And I thought that in space nobody could hear...

The best you can get in space....

5. DocJames

Douglas would have enjoyed this

As long as it does not produce something that tastes almost, but not quite, entirely unlike coffee.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

400 bar?!

Serious question - is that a typo?

I know that this isn't yer typical espresso machine (which seem to work at 15-20 bar) and could possibly understand it using 40 bar at a push, but 400?

And yeah, Lavazza isn't what I'd call good coffee either although I imagine that taking half a pound of Turkish-grind Mocha Djimmah into a microgravity environment isn't going end well.

1. John of Warndon

Re: 400 bar?!

What blasphemy is this? Lavazza is nectar to an Italian. If you can get it, Lavazza Intenso is even better. The Italian coffee bar in Harrods serves Lavazza (and rightly so). Congratulations to Lavazza for helping to pioneer the captain's organic suspension. And no, I do not work for Lavazza.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Red Shirt?

Surely, she could have chosen a better color for her uniform than red...

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: A Red Shirt?

But she does have a second name - safe for the next series then.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Red Shirt?

It looks you didn't go past the original Star Trek... since The Next Generation colors have changed and "red" became the colors of the "command" division (including captains), while "yellow" was "transferred" to the "operations" division which used to wear "red". Science/medical kept the "blue" color.

8. Vinyl-Junkie
    Go

Given the source...

..of the water, I'd have thought that Kopi Luwak would have been the perfect complement when it came to choosing the coffee....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Tea or death!

Mine's the one with the Twinley's subscription card in the pocket, next to the, uh, airlock. I'll be getting along, then, shall I?

10. Zot

Patent a discovery?

I hope the hot water melts your silly little plastic pockets!

And with all that plastic, it appears you can only get a thimble full of liquid to sit in it.

Fanfuckingtastic. I love it when time and money is wasted like that.

And don't forget kids, remember to say "spaaaace" like the Muppets did 40 years ago!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like