back to article Snapdragon 810 chip doesn't overheat, jilted Qualcomm sniffs at LG

Qualcomm is hitting back at the suggestion its Snapdragon 810 system-on-chip overheats, while carefully making sure it doesn't call its customer LG a cheapskate. Critics argue that if the 64-bit ARM-compatible Snapdragon 810 was problem-free, it would have been chosen by LG for the new flagship G4, which was launched this week …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Compared to most phone case materials leather is an insulator

Compared to most phone case materials leather is a good heat insulator. So something that would have fit in the thermal envelope of another phone, may be too hot for this use case.

1. Antonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Compared to most phone case materials leather is an insulator

"Compared to most phone case materials leather is... too hot for this use case."

I like what you did there.

;-B

2. Crazy Operations Guy

I think phones might be getting a bit over-powered

8-core, DDR4 memory, and 64-128 GB of SSD... These things are boasting more resources than my 3-year-old luggable workstation. Seems that phones are going with the model "don't bother optimizing code because the hardware will make up for it" that has been plaguing desktops for the past few years.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Facepalm

Re: I think phones might be getting a bit over-powered

8-cores does not mean power. eMMC is not the same as a workstation SSD. But you are right, throw more hardware at it and coders can get lazy.

1. phil dude
        Coat

I dunno, I quite like the idea of my phone having a LINPACK rating...

P.

1. Antonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

@ P.

Ditto. ...but only if the battery weighs practically nothing and lasts a month per charge.

2. Antonymous Coward
      Go

"...plaguing desktops for the past few years."

Your definition of "few" being thirtyish?

3. PleebSmash
      Holmes

Qualc should be applauding LG for using one of their hex-cores now that octa-core has been the rule.

3. David Webb

so instead LG's Dr Ramchan Woo

Dr Woo? Couldn't resist, sorry.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Dr woo? That'd be my wife then....

4. nigel 15

apparently...

It's not just the 808 SoC that is cheaper. So is servicing it too. The 810 requires more expensive ram too

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like