back to article ECJ upholds LG’s €210M LCD panel cartel fine

The European Court of Justice has said the EU Commission was right to fine LG €210 million for its LCD panel cartel involvement. In 2010, the Commish imposed fines totalling €648.925 million on six Korean and Taiwanese producers of liquid crystal display panels because of their participation in a cartel. One of the largest …

1. silent_count

The courts should double the fine every time a guilty company appeals. The idea being to dissuade the practice of using appeals to 'fish' for a favourable result, or continually appealing because it buys time for inflation to eat away at the real value of the fine (ie. keep appealing until €210 mil is about the price of a beer at the pub).

There are good arguments why courts should not do what I'm suggesting but I'm over companies trying to buy the answer they want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'm over companies trying to buy the answer they want"

Dead on! I wonder if that helps explain why prices of basic LED's and Plasmas have fallen dramatically in recent years...

2. x 7

"those sales were made at a preferential price"

due to the link between the companies, in many jurisdictions that claim would be grounds for accusations of tax evasion

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon