back to article USA is home to largest number of data perves, study finds

The US is home to the largest number of data perverts, according to research. The research Where's Your Data (pdf) reveals more American Tor dark net lurkers had viewed supposedly 1568 legitimate personal details, and credit card and social security numbers in a spreadsheet than any of the other 22 countries where snoops' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Data perverts ?

Hmmm... Why am I immediately thinking of a certain three-letter organisation ?

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Data perverts ?

Would that be one of the following

NSA - Not Secure Agency ( Mr Snowden is the president)

CIA - Criminal Instigation Agency. ( Caused more crimes than any other universal entitiy)

UKA - United Kingdom of America ( We don't actually look at the data we steal, we immediately send it to big brother)

JCHQ - Jihad Central Head Quarters (ok it's 4 not 3)

1. frank ly

Our three letter agency is JCHQ ..... Our FOUR letter agency ......

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Frank.ly, it's the dilemma of using HQ to represent only a single word... It should only be 3 letters but the 4 letter versions rings better. GCH doesn't sound quite as cool as GCHQ..

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

I still can't wrap my head around their "proprietary tracking mechanism" actually working in all contexts. I'd even go so far as calling this bullshit selection bias as it selects for people stupid enough to play in the internet underground without practicing any sort of "safe hex" protections. While I believe my fellow Americans to be a rather stupid/arrogant lot, assuming that the reported locations of the devices are really where they say they are remains problematic. Just think of all those Game of Thrones watchers whose VPN says they live in the US let alone other reasons for appearing in a completely different locale.

I'm not throwing down a gauntlet here but anyone who has been wandering the deep dark tunnels, chasms, and rivers of the underground internet is going to have some type of serious protective software and/or hardware if they're going to last long at all. I've spent years creating layers here and am about to bring online a couple of new ones (and I ain't talking about what either). And it's not to hide from The Man, just sheer cussedness on my part. I've been on a watch-list since I was 17. {I can just picture my computer and an NSA computer smoking cigarettes and one says to the other: "Was it good for you too?"]

3. Alistair
    Coat

Umm. They found dumbasses?

Excel spreadsheet on TOR.

And... You're going to open a *known* virus vector on your pc after downloading what is very clearly labelled "illegal" material in that format?

And then the dolts on the other end are going to consider this set of results *valid* data?

Stupidity is indeed spreading like wildfire.

1. Mike Flex

Re: Umm. They found dumbasses?

"Excel spreadsheet on TOR.

And... You're going to open a *known* virus vector on your pc after downloading what is very clearly labelled "illegal" material in that format?"

You might choose not to open it in Excel, and certainly not in anything with macro execution enabled.

4. Mark 85

There is a value to this....

I'm just not sure what it is. It reminds of those photos where someone is trying to teach kids (supposedly) that anything they post will go around the world. Misguided perhaps. But then, we in IT know that nothing is sacred and ever totally secure. Yes, this is Marketing and publicity. If it opens one person's eyes it might be a good thing. If it's someone with evil intent, it's probably not.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

2nd only to China

The US is second only to China when it comes data theft/hack buggery.

It must be galling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like