back to article Rand Paul puts Hillary Clinton's hard drive on sale

Hillary Clinton's announcement that she will run for the presidency of the United States has seen Republican candidate Rand Paul offer her hard drive for sale. “You've read about it on the news, now you can get one for yourself,” reads Paul's e-commerce mockup. “100% genuine erased clean email server. Buyer beware, this …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the server was older

I thought it was the one that her part-time husband Bill used when he was the President.

1. Hellcat

Re: the server was older

I've had just enough of your SAS matey!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clinton's insistence the server was not used for classified information hasn't gone down well and became the focus of political attacks.

Focus of political attacks? How about she seriously violated more than a few federal laws? I really like Hillary but this stinks to high heaven.

For those of you not familiar with US politics (I was involved in the inner-politics of the Dems in the 1990's), the US Democratic party is split into two wings: the (late)Kennedy wing and the Clinton wing. Obama got elected through the backing of the Kennedy wing. Most of the attacks you see on Hillary are proxy attacks from the Kennedy wing. MSNBC is part of the Kennedy wing which is why they keep attacking Hillary. The Clintons are conservatives in practice which is why FOXNews goes (relatively) easy on her.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

@AC the real issue... Anyone in IT and Corporate Governance knows she committed a crime.

Sorry, but anyone with any time working for a large enough corporation knows that they own your email servers.

Hillary's use of her personal email account had at least tacit approval from the WH and as a lawyer, Clinton knew she had the legal responsibility to retain any and all emails sent or received by this account. (Including anything personal.)

The reason that they are claiming the requests for the emails and that she face a congressional hearing are 'political' is that the Democrats and the Democratic Party are placing their own self interests ahead of the oaths of office that they took when they were elected.

Lets be clear. Democrats are afraid to stand up for the law.

Hillary admitted to having deleted any and all emails that were 'personal' as well as deleting emails that she printed out and gave to the US Government in hard copy only.

This is obstruction and she should be wearing Orange Jumpsuits and taking lessons from Martha Stewart.

1. Purple-Stater

Re: @AC the real issue... Anyone in IT and Corporate Governance knows she committed a crime.

"Lets be clear. Democrats are afraid to stand up for the law."

You keep saying "democrat" when you should be saying "politician".

Let's be *perfectly* clear; any politician's (or, realistically, any non-politician's) desire to stand up for the law has absolutely nothing to do with what party they belong to. It is the exact same situation when applied to the interests of their party, or their personal interests, in regards to the oaths they take.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: @AC the real issue... Anyone in IT and Corporate Governance knows she committed a crime.

No, I said Democrats because no Politician from the Democratic Party is standing up against Clinton. They are in fact putting their party's interest ahead of this country.

I agree that it should be any politician, but when you only have Republicans standing up and calling for a Congressional Hearing and investigation, while the Democratic party, the WH and DoJ turn a blind eye?

I think its fair to blame the Democrats on this one.

2. Tom 13

Re: You keep saying "democrat" when you should be saying "politician".

Nope, the facts say otherwise. Nixon? Resigned when confronted by members of his own party. Trent Lott, gone. Bill "the rapist Clinton"? Yep, that's right, Dems circled the wagons and denied he even committed perjury. Same thing with a whole raft of Hillary issues starting with Whitewater billing records and cattle futures, but never, ever ending.

2. BillG
        IT Angle

a quick look at the image of Hillary's disk (depicted above) shows the 40-pin IDE/Parallel ATA interface.

Looks like Nephew-ware to me...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this SATAire?

1. Antonymous Coward
      Facepalm

That was PATAhetic!

1. Graham Hawkins

I'DE never stoop that low for a pun...

2. frank ly

I'll make a half aSSD attempt at joining in.

1. Larhten
          Coat

SSHoulD have tried harder....

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Well played, Sir.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought all those resonses were rather SMART.

1. Jango

tried to think of a good response, but all that came to my mind were floppy

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Alright the lot of you

Get back on the bus!

1. Anonymous Coward
              IT Angle

Re: Alright the lot of you

You guys just HDD to bring up all those puns, didn't you?

Shameful!!

3. MrDamage Silver badge

OK, you asked for it....

I would RLLy like to have seen the pic of Hillary in tight jeans and halter, but I fear she would be showing off her MFM top.

Besides, anyone stooping to using sex to sell a political message, would truly be a SCSI individual.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this SATAire?

ATAboy

1. Adam 1

Re: Is this SATAire?

I'm afRAID that I just can't compete with those.

3. x 7

" to run crusty old kit in mission-critical environments."

Well.....she's married to a crusty old git who used to run mission-critical environments.

1. LaeMing
      Coat

I believe...

...it was a certain female intern's dress that was crusty.

1. x 7

Re: I believe...

"...it was a certain female intern's dress that was crusty."

that was only because Bill told her to keep her mouth shut......the poor girl misunderstood

2. Howverydare
        Coat

Re: I believe...

And there was me thinking that El Reg commentards wouldn't be so SCSI.

Bollocks. Someone beat me to SCSI. Teach me for having work to do. I'll go now.

4. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Meh, a joke's a joke. You should check out ObamaCare on an 8" floppy over on eBay.

5. leaway2

I would refer to FAT, but I am too much of a gentleman.

6. wolfetone Silver badge

RE: "The real scandal? Who in their right mind used an IDE drive in 2009?"

Me. And what m8?

7. @RearAdmiralRAID

I'm afRAID these puns are getting worse.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

These puns aren't far off brutal vioLUNce. Still, it speaks volumes about Reg readers that these acronyms are getting an ironic airing. And let's face it, things could be worse. We could be making virtualisation puns. Storage puns are surely the lesser of two vVols.

2. Antonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Oh hell, just when I thought all that NAStiness was over.

3. dorsetknob
      Paris Hilton

dont worry the NSA are Tapeing them DAT is the problem

Paris because she like to tape thing (Maybe Hilly does as well)

Hang on here's a film script idea

Hillery Does Washington Staring Paris

1. x 7

Hilary shagging Denzel Washington?

That would be an interesting film plot. Would he be playing Barry O'bama?

And where would Paris fit?

1. Thecowking

As previously stated, she'd be staring.

Probably at them.

4. fearnothing
      Coat

Wouldn't be so hypocritical if IRQ.

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

"Does the world want a president who is unaware of the passing of IDE and the ascent of SATA?"

Well, the more serious issue is: Does the world want a president who wants to be president, as it is a well-known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are ipso facto those least suited for the job.

The one with the cassette tapes of the Hitchikers Guide radio play in the pocket please

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Gimp

T'An Suthai-Telestre.

9. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

A disk doeth not a server maketh.

Especially not an erased one.

Ehh.. What's this bollocks about running an email server? Never mind..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And here I thought the White House was big on recording everything to TAPE...

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Expletives deleted, of course...

2. Tom 13

Re: recording everything to TAPE...

Not since Nixon.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the backup on floppies?

Single disk... where are the backup on floppies?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Email servers

Does anybody else remember when the job of an email server was simply to store and forward email and it got deleted once it had been delivered?

Email introduced a level of surveillance that did not exist with snail mail. So much so that we now regard it as suspicious when backup records of emails get deleted. One of my supervisors at U was regarded as a bit odd because he kept (and filed) all the hate mail he received - he did say that one day it would be someone's research project into the psychopathology of green ink letter writers - but now we have enormous databases of the ravings of lunatics and nobody seems even slightly surprised.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Email servers

" enormous databases of the ravings of lunatics."

Or political manifestos, as they are commonly known.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Email servers

It depends whether you mean an MTA, MDA or MUA.

Really traditionally (in the days of UUCP mail), the MDA and the MUA were often the same system, quite frequently a multi-user UNIX system, and the mails often remained on the system in peoples own mail folders. It was only the MTA that only kept a transient copy of the mail, and in the very early days, a single server was often MTA, MDA and MUA all rolled together.

The first time I really encountered what would be regarded as a pure MTA was a system called IHLPA at AT&T Indian Hill, Chicago, which seemed to act as a UUCP mail router for pretty much the whole world. If you remember routing UUCP mail, you can't have failed to notice ...xxx!ihlpa!xxx... somewhere in the mail route.

But that was a long time ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Email servers - @Peter Gathercole

You're just boasting about being even older than I am.

But you're missing my point - the mails that remained on the system in user folders were under the control of the users, and could be deleted. Things changed when backups were archived of all the mail going through the system.

This caused me to read the Wikipedia article on UUCP. Happy days...well, more a case of O fortunatos nimium sua si bona norint, agricolas (how happy farmers would be if they knew how fortunate they were), since at the time we had no idea that these were going to be the good times and it would be all downhill into viruses, Trojans, cat pages and Javascript.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Yes, you're right. I was indulging in rose-tinted glasses. Life was much more simple then (as long as you didn't have to configure sendmail rules by hand), and I really miss those days.

Most users at that time would probably be using their modem-attached microcomputers as termials to either their work place or a bulletin board.

User data on the multi-user systems was also backed up normally (users tend to get a bit irate if a system failure wiped out their files, including their mail), so control of their data was never totally in their hands. Even if they deleted the mails, they may exist on backup tapes, and most users had absolutely no idea about how long the backup regime would keep copies of their files.

At one point I was a system owner as defined by the original UK Data Protection act. I was petrified of a request to amend all copies of some incorrect data, because I had no idea how to edit the backup tapes that I kept for significant amounts of time. I was told that there was provision for this in the act, but nobody told me what it was!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Most users at that time would probably be using their modem-attached microcomputers as termials to either their work place"

It is called "the cloud" today...

2. wayward4now

"Things changed when backups were archived of all the mail going through the system."

Things changed when a 10 meg harddrive cost less than $10,000. Until then, anything "old" got deleted. That was the price for the harddrive of a Lisa.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like