back to article Cybercrime taskforce collects huge botnet scalp on first go

A sophisticated botnet has been neutered by a consortium starring the Dutch National High Tech Crime Unit and the Joint Cybercrime Action Taskforce. The botnet, known by a number of names, including AAEH and Beebone, was a "polymorphic downloader bot" which installed various forms of malware on victims’ computers. Like an …

1. knarf

Who knew

I wonder if all those infected and then clean where even aware what had happened

2. IglooDude
    Pint

Well done that man!!

3. Andrew Moore
    Black Helicopters

Somewhere in Eastern Europe...

a minion is being made "an example of"...

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Good work all round!

I wonder if there are any clues as to the source of the malware from such things as original domain registrations fort eh C&C domains, IP address logs etc.

It's nice to see something being done an an international scale to tackle this sort of organised crime. It would be nicer to see the culprits identified and stopped.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good work all round!

This is the only kind of crime that ought to have Sharia law applied to the perps. Remind me again what was it they do to thieves? Was it cut off their hands or break all their fingers in a punch press?

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Good work all round!

I wonder if there are any clues as to the source of the malware...

The list of groups associated in taking the botnet down includes representatives from Russia, the EU, the US... Wait! Canada wasn't on the list. It must have been Canadian in origin! OK, a bit if a joke, but it illustrates the sort of problem investigators face in tracking down the culprits. It's very easy to mask where an attack originates, but very difficult to track if the attackers are even halfway competent.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wouldn't be targetin winders would it?

All those lovely pc's with admin perms and apps like colanders.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like