back to article Tests show HTC, Sammy phablets BEND just like iPhone 6 Plus

The bending epidemic that beset Apple's latest iPhone models is not isolated to Cupertinian kit, according to testers. A video posted on YouTube suggests that the Samsung Galaxy S6 could be even more prone to bending and breaking than the iPhone 6 Plus. A stress test found that not only would Sammy's phone bend, it could even …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is all about the case

Samsung phones were sturdier when they were plastic, when they went with metal like Apple they bend like Apple (or worse, given that the screen shatters which it didn't in the iPhone)

1. ian 22

Re: It is all about the case

Not all about the buttocks? Surely those with more curvaceous glutea maxima will cause greater damage to their maxiphones.

2. Kurt 4

Re: It is all about the case

Windows Lumia phones don't bend. Probably would of busted their machine instead.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Making them thinner is getting pointless

Now that we have phones thinner than 3/4 of a centimeter, there is really no longer a point in making them smaller, rather phone manufacturers should be focusing on putting more in the same space, particularly more battery capacity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Physics is a b***h, isn't it?

That's all, really. Even if you make the thing out of lithium-aluminium alloy, if the screen is a certain size and it fits in certain thickness and weight limits, there will be a point at which the thing is going to bend. There is no way round it.

If you really must put a phone in your trouser pocket, buy a small one. If you must have a big one, don't. But please do not ask for a redesign of the universe with (for instance) a larger value of the electric charge on the electron and the proton simply so you can have a big but not bendy phone, because neither Apple nor Samsung are spawning new universes to order. Yet.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Physics is a b***h, isn't it?

Or buy builder pants. Ones with extra pockets mid-thigh so you can put the phone somewhere where it will not bend.

4. phil dude

the glass....

actually the glass shredding sounds like a real problem.

Impossibly small fragments of glass can cause lacerations or worse, in the eyes...

Possibly a good reason to get a Zagg shield (or equiv) to keep it altogether...

P.

5. Roger B

Its all a bit like the calculators...

Has anyone watched the Japanology about calculators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GVkR0SITo

Casio and Sharp had a race to get to the thinnest possible calculator and upon reaching this orgasmic inducing zenith of design realised it was all a bit pointless and the thin calculators were not as good to use, might be something Mr Ive and other mobile phone designs might want to think about.

6. 45RPM Silver badge

In other news…

It has been discovered that a glass will break if you drop it on the ground and that plastic melts if you heat it up too much. Jesus. This shouldn't come as a surprise, let alone be news, to even the thickest of punters. Look after your stuff and you'll have years of good service from it. Abuse it and it will break.

1. Mr.Mischief

Re: In other news…

Finally a sensible response...

2. Roger B

Or, you know they could design the thing so the owner can use it how they always has, stuff it in his pocket, chuck it on the table, leave it switched on for 5 days, the new designs force users to change how they look after it, so the design is taking precedent over function.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

The thing that I don't understand is that given glass (even gorilla glass because I've accidentially done the test!) will break if dropped on to a hard floor from circa 30 inches, is why we are using glass in mobile phones, particularly the developments in plastics....

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

That's because capacitive touch sensors work only on glass, and resistive touch sensors suck elephant dongles for a large variety of reasons.

7. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

"The bending epidemic that beset Apple's latest iPhone models..."

Actually, if you check out the video made by Consumer Reports, you'll find that 'BendGate' was a forced/fake/phony 'epidemic'. The pressure required to actually bend the iPhone 6 Plus, the actual target of 'BendGate', is considerable. It is more than that required to bend a number of OTHER phones. This 'epidemic' would be better described as invented paranoia of highly questionable sincerity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-3fIs2jQs

That Samsung and HTC 'phablets' are 'bendable' is old news.

1. tfewster
      Joke

It's all about the target market

Those good looking hipsters wearing skin-tight clothing to show off their fabulous bodies will naturally have iPhones and so are more likely to bend them, no matter how tough they are.

Whereas the dorks who buy Android phones wear baggy jeans and anoraks, so their phones don't come under pressure. And even if they did, who would listen to them?

(Despite the joke icon, I predict this is going to get downvoted by all camps so hard it'll plummet like a Fukushima core.)

1. Haku

Re: It's all about the target market

I've given my Samsung S2 a tempered glass screen protector and a rugged case (a rubber holder with a plastic outer case), making it very tough, and easier to hold because without the thickness the protection layers give I found it quite awkward to use because it was too thin and slippery to hold propely.

My phone is a tool, not a fashion statement.

2. Breen Whitman

Re: It's all about the target market

The counter to your argument is that iPhone owners tend to be of slender wispy build without the body mass to bend a phone.

I suspect bend gate is engineered by Android guys as only they have the arm strength to bend a phone.

8. Haku

Bendy phones? Bendy phablets?

Isn't this the perfect opportunity for manufacurers to properly impliment those flexible LCD screens they've been demonstrating for years now?

1. Frank N. Stein

Re: Bendy phones? Bendy phablets?

Perhaps, but the whole pointless "thinner and lighter" thing has run it's course and now is at a point where too thin and too light leads to them becoming too weak and thus, bendy. I put mine in a Otterbox Commuter case to thicken it up so that too thin/too light/too slippery phone doesn't slip out of my hand, fall, and break. If I get a 6+ at my next phone upgrade, it will go into a big, thick, ruggedized case. +

1. Mike Bell

Re: Bendy phones? Bendy phablets?

Bent iPhones: never really happened, did it? There's little point in over-engineering a gadget to cater for edge cases where lard-arses stuff it down their pants, or try to kill it in novel ways for the benefit of a few YouTube clicks.

9. Alan Denman

a case of the bends

" HTC One M9 has a higher bending point than the iPhone, "

""Instead of a bent phone," say researchers from SquareTrade, "they may have a pocket full of glass.""

Stating the bleeding obvious, or do I just need to come up for more hot air ?

10. Alan Denman

re 'realised it was all a bit pointless and the thin calculators were not as good to use..'

'....might be something Mr Ive and other mobile phone designs might want to think about."

Tim Cook says 'don't tell them Pike';

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why didn't they test a normal S6, its fairly obvious an S6 edge will be weaker due to the design of the glass. It's almost as if this test was sponsored by apple

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another case of Apple being ahead of the curve

How many times has Apple done something, had everybody complain about it bitterly at the time, and then a few years later the whole industry realizes that what Apple did was ultimately pretty inevitable and that Apple actually did a fairly good job of whatever it was.

13. Alan Denman

Yours is as shite as mine = it is all downhill now !

So Apple, now caught using near enough the cheapest grade of aluminium allow known to man will obviously now not use the same cheap aluminium come September.

Great marketing really does mean that Apple turns lead into gold. It is good while it lasts and boy, they had one hell of a run with this one.

Next !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yours is as shite as mine = it is all downhill now !

What makes you think the AL is bad instead of just thin?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

/me

*falls asleep with 10-yr-old Nokia 6030 in back pocket, the keypad is locked

*sleeps like a baby

*gets stabbed in the leg by #0 phillips left in front pocket

Oh, no, how did this happen! Better call it screwdrivergate or something equally as thoughtful

15. keithtae

I am for once happy for samsung, this will definitely make the s6 and samsung more popular no matter in a good or bad way. Laugh everyone, share to everywhere you want, make this viral, and I’m sure this will make the s6 launch even more popular. :D hahaha

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like