back to article AMD opens kimono on chip futures a little more

The best way to protect corporate secrets is to announce them at a tech conference in Japan, which is why word is only just arriving of AMD's February reveal of a clustering roadmap. Consumer and commercial business lead Junji Hayashi told the PC Cluster Consortium workshop in Osaka that the 2016 release CPU cores (an ARMv8 …

1. PleebSmash

*tips kimono*

headliner

I Sense Stacked DRAM And 15 Teraflops Cards In AMD's Future

1. phil dude
      Meh

Re: *tips kimono*

yeah but 15 Tflops with the current lousy software, might as well be sold as a space heater.

P.

1. Andy E
        Flame

With a 200-300 W thermal design thats some heater....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

APU = CPU + GPU These are high end APUs designed for High Performance Computing (HPC). The APUs will consume significantly lower total power than discrete CPU + GPU that provide equal performance.

2. PleebSmash

Even if all this heterogeneous computing fails to deliver, you still get a monster graphics card!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"its SkyBridge strategy, announced in May 2014, in which ARM and x86 SoCs will be pin-compatible, so motherboard-makers only need to work up a single design."

Recycling the strategy from the early Athlon days, where it borrowed (licenced) the pin bus from DEC's Alpha 21264 aka EV6?

Better luck this time chaps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You mean the Athlon that saved AMD?

1. Greg D

...And made Intel actually have to do something?

1. Tcat

ouch.

And yeah. It was like Intel and MS were having a contest to see which company could be the larger A hole.

2. MrMur

I can't imagine the m/b manufacturers getting too excited about reduced dev costs on an alpha compatible boards... whereas I can for an ARM compat board.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I can't imagine the m/b manufacturers getting too excited about reduced dev costs on an alpha compatible boards"

Samsung (an Alpha CPU licencee) quite liked it. At the time they weren't well known as a manufacturer of computer innards, but they put some nice entry(ish) level (single or dual socket) server motherboards together. E.g. UP1000, UP1100, UP1500. Ref:

http://alasir.com/articles/alpha_history/alpha_21264.html

Compatible hardware is one thing, but available software is, as noted, another thing altogether.

"I can for an ARM compat board."

Me too. And now the world and his dog has realised that ther is more to life than Window boxes. Hence, hopefully they'll have better luck this time (not that luck is anything to do with it when the opposition is Intel and MS).

1. Bob H

There is already a rumour going around about Samsung and AMD sittin' in a tree...

3. BornToWin

It's all good

The next gen AMD APUs will use Zen CPU cores and the latest graphics so they will be power houses as far as performance is concerned.

4. Stuart21551

Would they like a ∆T = 0.167°C/W CPU cooler?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like