back to article Does your broadband feel faster? Akamai says it went up 20 per cent*

Broadband speeds around the world increased by 20 per cent, year on year, according to internet tentacle monster Akamai. The website-caching giant claims in its latest State of the Internet report that, during the past three months to now, connections to ISPs peaked at 26.9Mbps, on average, dropping to 4.5Mbps the rest of the …

1. nematoad
    Unhappy

Eh?

Does my broadband feel faster?

No, it bloody well does not.

Akamai says it went up 20 per cent

I think that these reports are leaking in from a parallel universe.

4.5 Mbps? I wish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

Agree. Mine has gone up - 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps, not that I notice the 'improvement'.

1. annodomini2
        Trollface

Well that's a 50% improvement, better than most!

2. jonathanb Silver badge

More people are on fibre rather than copper, so on average, speeds will be faster. On mobile internet, more people have switched from 3G to 4G. People who haven't upgraded their connection probably won't notice any difference in speeds, but some people have upgraded.

2. davefb

hmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Bulgaria

96 % on broadband ? Or . 15% ?

1. diadomraz

Re: hmm

This wikipedia article is quite old and the data it is based on might be a bit skewed. Most of the internet access in Bulgaria is over 100Mbps LANs which is now being upgraded to fiber. Until recently these networks were not classified as broadband for some reason

3. adnim
    Meh

NNTP over https

seems to be getting slower. Web pages are instant and download speeds have been pretty much consistent. BBC HD streams just fine. Perhaps Akamai are just promoting their services and El Reg fell for it.... Of course broadband speeds are slowly improving.... or does one expect technology advances to make Internet access slower?

4. John Miles

Faster

No - it actually dropped by something like 25% recently - I am hoping just BT moving things ready for Fibre, but it could just be ISP connecting/disconnecting upsetting the system

5. Blergh

Yes it is faster*

* from tomorrow

BT have got their finger out and upgraded my cabinet to infinity! I'm getting moved over tomorrow so I should have a jump from 4mb to 40mb. And yes of course who knows what I'll actually end up with, but since it is my only option I'll be happy if it works.

Actually I'm not so bothered about the download speeds going up. It's the upload speed increase from 0.3mb to 10mb that I'm looking forward to, that will make working from home much easier.

6. MondoMan
    Thumb Up

Mine DID get faster...

In the Seattle area, the local effective monopoly Comcast is finally getting some competition from gigabit installers. Coincidentally (not!), Comcast just rolled out doubled speeds at the previous prices (subject, of course, to the usual Comcast nickel and dime fee increases from year to year). My (standard level) service is now about 55M down/6M up.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While the atm link is still 14Mbps, the response became appalling earlier today over lunch. Which I take to be saturated trunks caused by millions of internet TV users. Thus demonstrating the absolutely crass stupidity of trying to run national TV services over IP.

9. elaar

Data skewed?

Isn't the "average connection speed to the ISP" partly chosen by the customer though?

For example, a lot of people might go for the BT Infinity package instead of the Infinity 2 due to costs and bandwidth requirements, or 20Mb Virgin because who really needs the 100Mb?

10. Boothy

Mine is about 25% slower :-/

I moved house a little over a year ago.

To a new build, on a new estate, that is about 30% closer to my local BT exchange than the old place was, and I am now just round the corner from the same main road that the exchange is on. (So not just physically closer, but almost a straight line down a main road to get there).

Yet, my internet (ADSL) went from around 18Mbps, and a solid speed 24/7, to around 13-14Mbps, and is noticeably slower in the evenings.

It also always seems to take a while to initiate any new connections, doesn't seem to matter if from PC or phone, to a web site, or some service accessed via an app. Fail first time, then straight through a few seconds later :-/

For example, Steam always fails its first attempt to log in, try again a few seconds later and you're in. Same with just about anything I try, v frustrating!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like