back to article Australian online voting system may have FREAK bug

Next weekend, voters in the Australian State of New South Wales go to the polls to elect a new government. Some have already cast their votes online, with a system that may be running the FREAK bug. So say Vanessa Teague and J. Alex Halderman, respectively a research fellow in the Department of Computing and Information …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ah, political speak...

'but we are yielding the outcome we set out to achieve'

What the fuck does that actually mean?

1. -tim
      Facepalm

Re: Ah, political speak...

It means your brown envelope campaign contributions are best delivered to hackers rather than the politicians.

2. Irongut

It means they decided the outcome of this election months ago and the party chosen will be elected in due course whether hackers have changed the pre-programmed counts or not.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

What does it mean? Probably about as much as "mitigate against".

2. Mark 85

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to change one ballot. To be meaningful, thousands would have to be changed. There's attacks for kicks and grins and attacks for greed. I think this would fall under the kicks and grins part... unless a candidate is paying off the hackers. Wouldn't bringing in the "dead vote" give a greater return?

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed, just got kind of an "meh" feeling about their reasoning given all the ways the voting system can be gamed.

1. Chris 244

Did you miss the part where...

"attackers could target the system from anywhere in the world and with sufficient but not tremendous levels of skill could automate the hacking."

1. Mark 85

Re: Did you miss the part where...

No, didn't miss it at all. There's lots of ways to game the system as Chicago has proved in the past. If suddenly enough ballots popped up to change the election and from the same location, I think they would be noticed. Or at least I would hope they would be noticed that something was amiss.

1. dan1980

@Mark 85

When it comes to our political systems, I hope a lot of things . . .

(But am always disappointed.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"and from the same location"

Why would they be from the same location? Automating this properly wouldn't have that problem.

4. dan1980

And yet every cycle (at least Federal) we get noise about voter 'fraud', even though, as Malcolm Turnbull admitted, that is often people voting on behalf of a family member or friends who couldn't make it or was too lazy.

The amount of such fraud is truly tiny and no one has ever suggested it has made the slightest jot of difference. But yet we keep getting pushes for more automated solutions to fix this non-existent problem.

Online voting is certainly hand for people in more remote locations so I am not suggesting it is pointless but any politician or civil servant who wishes to push electronic voting into wider use should take note of issues like this.

1. mathew42

One thing I appreciate about voting in Australia is the simplicity. Turn up at any polling booth within your electorate on polling day, grab a sausage or steak sandwich, queue for ~30 minutes take 5 minutes to vote and leave. If you happen to be a reasonable distance from your electorate, then you can cast an absentee vote. If you don't feel like voting on the day, submit a postal vote.

I also like preferential voting, because it makes it easy to cast a protest vote or single issue vote and use your preferences to support the candidates you prefer.

1. dan1980

Would you believe that our local station has been sans snags the last four elections in a row? People spout off about 'un-Australian' this that and the other but not being able to burn your mouth on processed meat while slowly roasting in the sun and feeling vaguely uncomfortable about being back in a school ground is about as low as this country can go.

That said, we live in a really safe seat which, though unfortunate in terms of the political process, is good because the usual party volunteers handing out flyers are pretty laid-back as they know that no amount of cheaply-printed how-to-vote pamphlets will make a lick of difference.

5. kain preacher

diebold

Awhile back California was flirting with the idea of electronic voting. They asked the university of Standford to look at code that ran on the machine. Die bold said no and that was the end of electronic voting .

1. dan1980

Re: diebold

Damn straight.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: diebold

Is this the same Diebold whose CEO promised to deliver Ohio to GW Bush ahead of the 2004 election?

6. mathew42

Corporate firewalls?

When you consider that many corporate networks have firewalls which perform man in the middle "attacks" so that SSL traffic can be inspected, this does offer some interesting possibilities.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Corporate firewalls?

...many corporate networks have firewalls which perform man in the middle "attacks"...

I would think this is also true of government networks, in general. Same opportunity for abuse with added incentive.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Online Voting Systems...

... Ah! That's where the current encumbants get to choose their successors.

8. David Roberts
    WTF?

Man in the middle?

By definition the man has to be between you and the target system.

If you think of the online voting world as a massive star network centred on the Australian servers then to have any noticeable effect your man would have to be very near the middle of the star.

The assumption is that you have to connect via a compromised network server, probably an Internet cafe or coffee shop, I would guess.

That would be an intersting challenge - compromise enough network architecture globally (or even in rural Australia) to be able to specifically target Oz voters.

If this has been achieved then I would guess the problems are far more seriousn than subverting a small percentage of the vote.

However I now wonder how many PCs owned by Oz voters are also owned by malware.

This might be a more effective attack - does it still count as MITM if you own the browser?

1. Mark 65

Re: Man in the middle?

ASIO, now there's someone that could MITM this. What, don't you think they would if it suited them?

9. Bob Dole (tm)

Alrighty.

To do a man in the middle secured with TLS requires quite a bit. You have to have fake certificates, the devices need to trust the fake certificate authority, etc.

Or are they saying the voting stuff site doesn't even bother with all that security bit?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's NSW

The place was founded and built on corruption.

Nothing to see here.

Vic

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely they can just look at everyone's metadata in NSW and reach and interpretive conclusion about who they want to vote for?

1. Truckle The Uncivil

Actually they probably could do just that. Even if you are "non-political". People do not realise how much information they give away nor what can be concluded from that information.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like