back to article The Voices: A horror-comedy that’s as schizophrenic as its protagonist

Horror comedy is not an easy genre-mishmash to pull off, although when it’s done right (Shaun of the Dead, The Faculty), it’s usually brilliant. Unfortunately, The Voices doesn’t quite manage it. Things start promisingly enough, with Ryan Reynolds as Jerry, the apparently aw-shucks hometown boy who works in the bathtub factory …

1. James 51

You had me at Ryan Reynolds. That's one to avoid.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Excellent

Another entry for the Psychotronic Video Guide!

3. Mark 85

From the sound of this...

It seems to be like "Joe and the Volcano"... the first 5 minutes were the best..

4. TheProf
    Devil

What?

But but but Scottish accents are hilarious.

Such as Shrek.

And Frankie Bolye.

1. Tom 7

Re: What?

Real scottish accents are - but the film industries best are found on Scooby Doo and are normally voiced by US citizens who think scortlend is part of NJ.

5. Martin Maloney
    Thumb Up

This is one of those...

..."Did he see the same movie that I did?" moments. And one of his criticisms was the accent of the evil loquatious feline?

Although the main character is a total whack job, he is not a deliberate serial murderer. Rather, circumstances force him to kill, to keep his insanity from being discovered.

After the first killing and dismemberment, he places the head on a table and feeds it. Then he sticks it into his refrigerator, and -- you guessed it -- he has coversations with it. The heads of the next two victims also end up in the refrigerator, also talking. It's a hoot!

Where the reviewer went wrong was in regarding "The Voices" as a horror-comedy. It's not; instead, it's a farce, and a very well, er, executed one.

1. Robin

Re: This is one of those...

Yeah I just watched the trailer after reading this, and thought it looked alright.

Cat's accent wasn't too bad either, I thought.

2. Havin_it
      Facepalm

Re: This is one of those...

"Did he/she not see the author's profile?" moments.

You're lucky we don't have a Moderatrix any more!

6. eJ2095

More like a Comedy

Daft film but have seen worse. (Matrix 3rd film) lol

I needed the Bots from "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"

7. Whiskers

Dissociation

I feel that I must dissociate myself and all other bearers of the honourable name of Whiskers, from any words or deeds of the entirely fictional character depicted in this entertainment.

1. tony2heads

Re: Dissociation

It'a a movie, so SUE!

1. Whiskers

Re: Dissociation

Wouldn't I have to watch the film if I wanted to sue them?

8. Zot

It could be weirder, and better...

... But I guess they were too timid to do that.

You get the joke quite early on and they play on that all the way through.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That’s 107 bewildering minutes of my life I’ll never get back

And that's five minutes of my life I won't have back, reading a fairly cr@p film review in search of some interest or relevance to the Reg and its (perhaps former) demographic.

You could at least have told us if anybody got their kit off.

1. Havin_it
      Thumb Up

Re: That’s 107 bewildering minutes of my life I’ll never get back

Gosh, you're right: Brid-aine's reviews have been strangely devoid of "phwoooar"-ratings. What's the matter with her?

You're right, the demographic is definitely shifting. You could do your bit to stop the rot by leaving.

Icon: closest to the gesture I'm making right now.

10. thomas k.

... why the cat is Scottish

Well, it *is* a ginger.

11. Katie Saucey
    Pint

Since when did the reg do movie reviews? meh it's the weekend I guess. Also, at least the movie has some aspect of realism, cats are always evil etc..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon