nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
RIP Sir Terry Pratchett: Discworld author finally gets to meet DEATH

Oookk. OOK.

Oookkk oook ook.

Ook.

Re: Oookk. OOK.

I couldn't have expressed it better myself.

or possibly

SQUEAK

Silver badge
Unhappy

SQUEAK? (twich whiskers)

YES, I'M AFRAID SO.

Silver badge

HELLO.

You?

YES.

Ah, I've been expecting you.

YES?

Well, of course, I created you!

NO YOU DIDN'T, I'VE ALWAYS EXISTED.

Whatever, let's get on with it shall we.

YES.

Do you have any questions...

I didn't mean that you should swing that thing, I thought you were going to ask me some questions.

NO. COME ON NOW, WE STILL HAVE A LOT TO DO TONIGHT.

Oh, brother!

RIP!

Silver badge

Sad to hear, his books provided a lot of entetainment over the years :(

But at least they still will for many years to come.

Silver badge

Well damn. That's put a dampener on my day. My condolences to his family and friends, and I hope that one of them will nurture the Discworld - and that this won't see the end of his amazing creation. I also hope that Death, for Terry, is everything he hoped he would be.

"I hope that one of them will nurture the Discworld"

Got to say my instinctive reaction to that is not positive. I love the world as much as the next fan, and I did truly want to know where he was taking it, and Ankh-Morpork in particular. I'd be very interested in reading any collections of notes and/or conversations from those who knew him on the subject.

But the reason I love the world so much isn't anything to do with that, it was due to his brilliant writing and wit. Without that, there isn't any point. Any continuation by another author would almost certainly be a pallid imitation. If there is another author who truly does have the ability to write a Discworld novel worthy of the name, I think I'd much prefer to read their own original work, without all the constraints of imitating the style and backstory of Sir Terry's.

Silver badge

This, exactly. Any author sufficiently talented to continue Pterry's work on the Disc, is also sufficiently talented to make their own setting without all the baggage.

Apart from the odd tribute story, I don't want to see any more Discworld.

Silver badge

I heard rumours

That Rhianna was going to take over the reins of Discworld. She is a fun storyteller in her own right, and anyone who has played Overlord, and Overlord 2, should be more than familiar with her sense of humour being a chip off the old block.

Farewell, Sir Pterry. Your books could lighten the darkest, dreariest day, and brought smiles to millions worldwide. You will be missed greatly.

:(

The last books and testament

Sad to say that his last books showed how badly Altzheimer's can maul you. Obviously the people he wrote with shouldered most of those books, I hope to god his daughter doesn't do worse:

"Rhianna's father chose Rhianna to be the 'custodian' of the Discworld before he died. Rhianna has clarified that she will 'hold the reins' of the Discworld, rather than actively participate in the series, and that she will most likely not be writing any 'new' Discworld novels."

I would rather them mustruming on the shelves of the great unseen than that.

Silver badge

Re: The last books and testament

Like Japanese TV series, try to end on a high. Don't drag it out, eeking every ounce of nostalgia out of it until the series is over half junk. Let it go, let it finish, and then enjoy what it was forever. Rather than wishing for what it could have been "if only".

Some things OUGHT to come to an end. I'm sure Sir Terry had at least one thing he wanted to see end, himself. Let it finish, be magnificent and the work of a genius front-to-back forever more, not some watered-down sequelled-to-death money-grab.

But, to be honest, I couldn't even stand the TV adaptations.

Some things should just stay in books. And some books should come to an end. Hell, some books shouldn't ever finish completely (good and bad).

Let it die with Sir Terry, and be his.

"I heard rumours that Rhianna was going to take over the reins of Discworld."

They're not rumours. Pterry announced three years ago that he was leaving the reins to her. However, she doesn't feel that she could do his work justice in the form of novels and will be restricting herself to Discworld projects In other media: scripts for the Watch TV series and a Wee Free Men movie are in development.

(Given her background in computer games ... how about a Discworld MMO?)

The turtle has stoped

but in our hearts the disc will still turn.

Silver badge

Re: The turtle has stoped

Nope, the turtle still moves.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The turtle has stoped

The turtle moves, but no chelonian descends with high velocity on the collective heads of our many Vorbises. Indeed there is no justice, there is only HIM.

MJI
Silver badge

Was a shock

Saw it as headlines on BBC news site.

Great writer, sadly gone.

It's sad but also not sad

because of the Alzheimer's.

As it turned out, he never lost his marbles entirely and he didn't end up in a depressing hotel in Switzerland, far from a home that denies people their final release from pain and misery. He died in his own bed, with his family on a pleasant-ish* spring day in Wiltshire.

That's called "winning".

* ie - perfect for Terry.

Gold badge

Re: It's sad but also not sad

Good post. With which I whole-heartedly agree.

I'm still sad though. I'm not normally one to feel this way when someone famous dies. I didn't know them, after all. So I wouldn't normally post. But I've loved his books for years, and also really admired his programs on the Dignitas clinic and the one on possibly Alzheimers treatment.

But as you say, it cannot be counted anything but a success to die with your loved ones around you in your own bed, after a good life, having made some mark on the world and had a positive effect on many peoples' lives.

Sniff sniff... I appear to have something in my eye...

Anonymous Coward

Sad that he has passed away, but its good that he didn't have to slowly waste away and live in a nursing home for years.

Silver badge

>I'm still sad though. I'm not normally one to feel this way when someone famous dies.

The same here - it's only been Terry Pratchett, Iain Banks and John Peel whose deaths have brought a lump to the throat... the common denominator seems to be humour. And beards.

Anonymous Coward

IN OTHER NEWS

TWITTER EXPLODES UNDER CRITICAL MASS OF ALL CAPITALS POSTS.

Bronze badge

Re: IN OTHER NEWS

Does Death bother with twitter - other than anticipating applying a scythe in due course?

Re: DEATH DOES NOT TWEET

HE CHANGES REALITY SO THE TWEET HAPPENED.

Silver badge

Death bothers with everything.

Everyone and everything will come to an end eventually, and the oldest, kindest member of the Discworld cast will be there for them.

Silver badge

Heart breaking

I, like I am sure, a lot of others here did, started reading his books from the very first time they appeared.

I loved his wit and the way he could spin a pun was quite literally second to none.

I looked forward to every one of his books and will genuinely miss his work.

RIP Sir Terry. You will be sadly missed

Influence on El Reg

I have long suspected may authors here at El Reg were heavily influenced by his style! It's why I am a loyal paying customer :)

RIP Terry

Pint

A most terminal embuggerance

RIP Sir Terry. He was a thoroughly splendid chap the time I met him - happy to spend time with the avid readers of an enchanting universe. I'll be raising one to him and his skeletal chaperone tonight

Unhappy

:(

... and Dick Cheney lives on. Truly this world is f'cked.

Silver badge

"... and Dick Cheney lives on."

Here's a thought; Put aside your partisan obsessions for just one moment while the rest of us mark the passing of an exceptional human being.

> Here's a thought; Put aside your partisan obsessions for just one moment while the rest of us mark the passing of an exceptional human being.

Here is another thought. We have at least one death we can all really look forward to.

Seriously, yesterday I was contemplating that arse of a book he wrote last and reminded of two even worse ones that he jointly wrote with another loser. At least he won't tarnish any further than that. Thinking that at least there are some scumbags I will enjoy news of the nomoreness of is a balm for a sad day.

Silver badge

"Seriously, yesterday I was contemplating that arse of a book he wrote last and reminded of two even worse ones that he jointly wrote..."

So have you read all three? Or are you just parroting the opinion of others who also wish death for 'Darth' Cheney? And if you have read them, did that harrowing experience so scar you that only his death can bring a smile to your lips once more?"

Gold badge

I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects,

No man is an island,

Entire of itself,

Every man is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were:

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind,

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee.

I thought of this yesterday, because I was musing on the fact that Terry Pratchett's death has affected me, even though I never knew the man. And normally I wouldn't say that about someone I didn't know. It might be sad, but I rarely feel it personally. Anyway it didn't seem to quite fit, so I didn't bother.

However it's appropriate here I think.

Whereas I'm not sure your sentiments were. I didn't know Sir Terry, but after reading 40-odd books of his (maybe 8,000 pages or a couple of million words) - I think I can safely say that he wouldn't agree.

Silver badge
Pint

ONE IS SAD

Need say no more

Have one on me...

J

Re: ONE IS SAD

It's a good thing you're buying. As many, many afpers* will tell you, he never once bought a round.

*if you have to ask, you aren't one. You weren't there, man, you weren't...

Pint

@dogged - Re: ONE IS SAD

> he never once bought a round.

He never needed to, people at Discworld Cons were practically queueing up to buy him drinks!

- Affordable Graham :-/

Happy

Re: @dogged - ONE IS SAD

> - Affordable Graham :-/

Hi. Bryan here. I remember you, and your dodgy website.

Early on when we started doing that stuff, before any Conventions happened at all, he used to just show up in pubs where some of us were meeting up. Sometimes there'd only be 7 or 8 people there and then suddenly there was a Hat that wasn't Alan Bellingham. Never bought a round.

Despite somebody once saying "who's round is it? Well, which one of us is a millionaire?"

Happy

Re: @dogged - ONE IS SAD

What's dodgy about it? Pterry even asked for a signed copy of my catalogue!!

(Where do you think he got the idea for that cupboard full of "interesting" toys in Making Money?!)

I recently made it my mission to try and find a replacement for my utterly knackered AFP t-shirt. I failed.

Indeed - I will disinter mine for a very rare outing today. A reminder of a beloved old friend that is no longer with us.

Silver badge

No Black Arm Bands

Wearing my Octarine arm band. Respect.

Silver badge

His embuggerance caught up with him.

RIP Sir Terry

Silver badge
Unhappy

Something...

of an embuggeration.

Pint

Sad news

A glass will be raised

Silver badge

Turtles all the way down

At first glance, one would think Terry had little relevance to an IT tech site, but I, and so many, many more of you are long time fans and followers, I know.

A truly great story teller, and an irreplaceable character, has gone from us today.

R.I.P. Sir PTerry.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Turtles all the way down

one would think Terry had little relevance to an IT tech site

The inventor of Hex had (sad having to write in the past tense) a great deal of relevance to an IT tech site. And for someone who was not a scientist, his explanation of the scientific mentality was spot on. (I guess that was being a journalist who actually did the job properly.) As someone who recognises in myself a great deal of Ponder Stibbons, I can only say how saddened I am to learn that it is indeed Big Red Lever time.

I haven't read Raising Steam because I was afraid it wouldn't be as good as the earlier books, so there is that to look forward to.

Gold badge
Happy

How can any man whose writing desk had 6 monitors on it, not be relevant to an IT site?

I remember being quite impressed by that setup. Although I don't know how he ever got any actual writing done...

@ Arnaut the less - I can, without any hesitation, recommend that you read Raising Steam. The satire is as biting as ever, and the wit and charm are all there in the usual abundance. Whatever else the disease did to him, it did nothing to impede his ability to tell a story.

You do need to have read Thud and Snuff first though.

Silver badge

i quite enjoyed his science of the Discworld book, and I remember him turning up on a game show in a red dwarf t shirt. He was more than sufficiently geeky enough to be liked by Tech types his humour certainly seemed to work, know plenty of engineers and science types who have all of his books. Mine are the ones with Josh Kirby on the cover.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing