back to article $1.3 million survelliance systems fights Logan bogans

Queensland's Logan City Council has opened a $1.3 million CCTV surveillance centre using facial recognition technology to track drunks, criminals, and burst water mains. The monitoring program has grown over the last decade from nine CCTVs to more than 300, and runs on the Teleste platform used in Paris, Sweden and in Austria' …

1. Steven Roper

Bananas one day, police state the next

I've long considered Queensland to be Australia's answer to North Korea, ever since the Bjelke-Petersen days. What with his gerrymandering, their barely-shy-of-death-penalty marijuana laws, then their draconian if-you-know-a-bikie-you're-also-guilty laws, and now this, I have a sackful of very good reasons why I would never cross South Australia's northeastern border!

2. Magani
    Pint

Huh?

"... using facial recognition technology to track drunks, criminals, and burst water mains. "

I must contact the Logan City Council to find out what part of facial recognition technology is used to recognise a burst water main.

Wonder if it's the same section that deals with a drunk doing a Number One down a dark alley after too many of the icon on the right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More "policing for revenue" instead for safety

I wonder if police are starting to worry about how places where police have gone mostly on strike (NYC) and completely on strike (Acapulco) have seen no increase in crime and traffic improved markedly in Acapulco!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like