back to article SkyProwler VTOL transformo-drone set to darken skies

Joe Public's appetite for new UAV tech must surely have a limit, but that's still some way off if the case of the SkyProwler "Multi-Mission VTOL Transformer Drone" is any indication. Having soared past its $100,000 Kickstarter goal in a matter of days, Arizona-based Krossblade Aerospace Systems is set to unleash the vehicle …

1. Camilla Smythe

Look straight down as well as straight up.

Conquered Japan then... until they legislate against it.

2. Pen-y-gors

Not coming to airspace near you

at least not anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, it looks and sounds amazing, but 65mph, and a range of 43 miles, with a payload of 550g of semtex - I think our definitely-not-friends the jihadis will be queueing up to bulk buy them.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. IDoNotThinkSo

Re: Not coming to airspace near you

There are plenty of better options if you really wanted something like this for nefarious use. 550g is quite a low payload as far as some UAVs / multicopters / model aircraft go.

However, the most recent incidents seem to involve people with no regard for their own safety, so why go to all that trouble?

Besides, almost everything can be used for ill. You can deliver a lot more than 550g with a car or a truck (ask the IRA) but we haven't banned them yet. Mobile phones make excellent triggers but we haven't banned those either.

I'm more interested in doing useful things with new technology than worrying about what anyone else might do with it.

3. Graham Marsden
      Facepalm

Re: Not coming to airspace near you

And, of course, paedophiles will use them for spying on kids' playgrounds and drug dealers will use them to deliver their packets of smack and...

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Meh.

if I am understanding the design correctly, the VTOL blades just fold away on arms when in normal flight in the Blade mode whilst seperate pusher props and motor(s) provide the forward impetus. Which seems an awful waste of space and weight. I'd be much more impressed if the design had pivoting rotors ala V-22 Osprey.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh.

In addition, what about the new rules (in the US at least) requiring that all personal drones not leave the unaided eyesight of the operator? This whizzer will leave that space PDQ if you don't constantly turn.

4. Montague Wanktrollop

Is it just me?

Or was anyone else waiting for him to say 'I'll be back'?

1. tony2heads
      Black Helicopters

Re: Is it just me?

Yes, and it reminded me of the Whispercraft in 'The 6th Day'

Icon - what else!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a toy. There are companies that sell small fixed-wing drones to military and law-enforcement, and they don't faff about with retractable rotors or wheels. Hand-launch works just fine, and they can skid-land almost anywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like