back to article Google's Softcard hookup: Never mind Apple Pay ... it's about beating the networks

So Google Wallet will come installed on Android handsets in the US. It is an assault on Apple Pay, but it's also end of a dream which saw operators as custodians of the electronic wallet. That dream started in 2007, when SIM manufacturers hit on the idea of embedding a secure transaction element into the SIM, connected to the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No thanks...

I'd rather have a bank know who I'm paying and how much than google !

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: No thanks...

Apple don't collect you transaction history, or share it with retailers. This hasn't pleased some big US retailers like Wallmart, which would rather you use their clunky ConnectC payment system instead.

Strange that retailers weren't mentioned in the article beyond Tescos coupons- after all, these new payment systems depend upon the adoption of Point of Sale terminals.

1. Charles 9

Re: No thanks...

Most PIN pads being installed today at least have the capability, even if it's turned off. It's up to the retailers, and they seem to be uniting on their own front that may be strong enough to resist even Apple.

BTW, speaking of Secure Elements, what of Host Card Emulation?

2. Fazal Majid

Good summary, here is some extra color

My credentials: I worked for France Telecom's R&D, hold one patent on online micropayment systems and deployed a successful one in the early days of the Internet (1997 or so).

There are 2 prizes they were all contending for: the ability to skim commissions from all mobile payments, and the ability to mine customer transaction data.

The banks (well, credit card issuers) own both in the current credit system. They have historically been extremely paranoid about telcos, and successful m-payment initiatives like M-PESA in Kenya (with which Vodafone essentially disintermediated the banks and corrupt government) certainly stoked that.

Google obviously hungers for #2, #1 being mere cherry on the icing.

The handset makers had a much weaker position, as in the US at least the telcos are their biggest customers and hold the whip hand, as demonstrated by Nokia's failure to penetrate the US market to the same extent as worldwide.

Apple never entered the fray until Apple Pay, unlike some of the Android handset makers. Apple Pay essentially implements banking industry standards on the banks' terms, for a very modest commission. In other words, they cut a deal with the banks to get an acceptable #1 and forgo #2, and in the process gave the banks a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat at the hands of Google or the carriers.

In the West, iPhone users are the choice demographic in terms of spending power, and I expect Google will have to cave to the banks' demands and implement a form of EMV tokenization similar to Apple's. It's unclear whether they will be allowed to ingest transaction data. The carriers have already bowed to the inevitable.

3. ratfox
    Go

It's also end of a dream which saw operators as custodians of the electronic wallet.

Good riddance.

4. Speltier

Insecurity

One of the major problems of many competitors of Apply Pay is the competitors avaricious desire to cumulate vast amounts of personal payment data in essentially one place. This makes a target worthy of a major cracker assault, and given corporate desire to pay the least to the workers protecting the data, inevitably the data will be stolen sooner rather than later.

MCX is even worse, they require bank account and/or debit account information in an effort to also avoid or reduce interchange fees, the net result being the huge clump of data would ALSO contain millions of bank account attack vectors. This isn't credit card vectors, this is bank account routing numbers useful for purloining the contents of checking accounts of the sheep and is potentially much harder for the wronged to right.

It appears that Google would (or should) attempt to emulate the security of Apple Pay ("see no customer data that an be used to raid said customer's pile-o-cash") but skim off the useful bits for peddling ads. It would be interesting if Google declines to monetize the payment path-- which will attract the financial players-- but only monetize the ad peddler path. This might actually work since most everyone is used to being pelted with ads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Insecurity

People are used to being pelted with ads, but with Google having access to more of people's lives at some point I think the creepiness factor will become a problem for them. If you browse the web and do Google searches on diapers, seeing ads for diapers and baby formula when you visit cnn.com (or whatever site that uses one of Google's ad companies like Doubleclick) is probably not

What happens if you buy diapers and then start seeing ads for them on your computer, even though you never searched for them or visited a baby site? People might not be too comfortable with something like that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Behind the Times

Unbelievable, it's all tangled up in self interested money grabbing. The one thing you can be sure of is that it will ultimately cost the consumer more to use it.

And what's with all the arguing? If you pop over to Japan a very large proportion of phones can do Suica (contactless payment system originally for the trains but seemingly everywhere else too now) and it's entirely normal and has been for years. How on earth have they managed to decide what to do, design it and implement so long ago with apparently very little fuss?

We're still at the arguing stage, like a bunch of ten year old kids.

1. p3ngwin1

Re: Behind the Times

yep, Japan has had contact-less payments for 15 years now, used in everything from Taxis, restaurants, hotels, vending machines, public transport, etc

Meanwhile the US only recently evolved from magnetic strips to, no not chip & PIN....chip & *SIGN* o.O

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomgroenfeldt/2014/06/23/more-secure-credit-cards-with-chips-coming-to-the-u-s/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can the banks stop Google from collecting customer purchase data?

I suppose if they put it in the contract, but what is Google's incentive to cooperate with them if that's the case? Maybe they decide they want to cut the banks/payment processors out of the loop entirely and go their own way. Google Wallet starts using "Google Credit" instead of linking to a bank card, and you pay your bill each month just like a credit card.

Google will go to any lengths to get their grubby hands on this data, it is the crown jewel for their ad pushing empire. Imagine how much more advertisers would pay to not only find out what people search, what ads they click on, and what websites they visit, but also which of those searches, clicks and visits TURN INTO PURCHASES!

They can easily get retailers to put payment terminals in that would work with Google's payment system - give them the equipment for free, and waive the interchange fees! Google would make more money mining people's purchase data given that they already have so much other data about what people do leading up to a purchase that they could eat those costs, and deal a crippling blow to banks. Well, in theory, if they get customers to use it - but that's easy, just like they got customers to use Google's payment thing a few years ago - bribe them too! Everyone used Microsoft and Google's payment system for a hot minute 10 years ago because of the freebies, and everyone quit using it the minute the freebies went away. Google can probably afford to keep up with the freebies though given how much purchase data will be worth to them.

Glad I'm watching this one on the sidelines, and won't have to worry about Google finding out what I buy!

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

What you do, right...

is you print some rectangular pieces of paper with the queen's head on one side, and a number representing a nominal 'value'. The client is issued these on demand by a 'bank' which debits his 'account', and places them in a 'wallet' to keep them safe. At the point of purchase, the client opens the 'wallet' and extracts sufficient pieces of paper to cover the required 'payment'. The retailer then aggregates all the pieces of paper which have been 'paid' through the day and takes them to the 'bank' which credits his account with their 'value'.

Let's see: it allows one to pay for anything, with good security. No one supplier can tell what else you have purchased, or which shop windows you looked in before arriving at their emporium. The exchange medium is light-weight and easy to transport; in the event of loss because it represents only a small fraction of the customer's actual worth it's annoying but does not require a complete new identity to be created, and if the customer buys a new wallet it's easy to transfer the pieces of paper without having to inform the wallet supplier, the bank, or anyone else.

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: What you do, right...

>in the event of loss because it represents only a small fraction of the customer's actual worth

Why don't you meet me in a dark alley after work to tell me more about your idea? I'm only holding this lead pipe because I wouldn't want you to trip over it.

[It should go without saying that I'm joking, and I'm not actually threatening Mr Barnes!]

Yeah, I'm generally in favour of cash, but it is not always convenient. For ordering goods and services online, it's useless. For some people, their intended purchases do represent a fair portion of their monthly income. I often do carry cash (ideally, just a little more than I feel I'll need for the day and night ahead) but some of my friends don't feel as comfortable doing the same.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: What you do, right...

Agreed - it's not always convenient. But there are also existing electronic payment schemes (e.g. debit and credit cards) and (still!) cheques for larger amounts.

My point, though, is that I feel a damn sight safer carrying around sufficient cash for the day than potentially all my life savings attached to a device which not only tracks my movements and activites but is also a target for both remote criminals and a prize for local theft too.

Money is fungible. When you start applying it to hardware, it becomes less so.

8. Champ

ISIS? Really?

>ISIS had already been forced to change its name....

No shit!

9. Naselus

Weaker side?

A little stumped as to why Google would be characterized as the 'weaker side' here - in pure market share terms, Android is massively dominant world-wide, and the iPhone's successful premium price strategy runs completely counter to Apple Pay's chances of widespread adoption..

Google is likely to win this, simply because an E-Wallet system that comes free with 85% of smartphones is going to be more used than one that comes free with 12%. ApplePay might do well in the US, where the iPhone has relatively strong market share, but internationally Google's version will be ubiquitous and anyone who happens to travel will quickly find ApplePay restrictive.

If Apple wants to make Apple Pay the go-to replacement for cash, then it either needs a low-cost, high-availability item to run it from (the Watch, perhaps, though everything presently points to it being almost as overpriced as the iPhone), or it needs to break into that massive Android marketplace (not likely when confronted with a built-in alternative).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like