back to article Something Coming Through – aliens, LA noir, techno-thriller, dystopia ALL in the mix

Something Coming Through is a story that manages to be all over the genre map but still somehow work. We’re in clear sci-fi territory in one way – humanity has made first contact with aliens known as the Jackaroo, we’re now living on alien worlds and it’s a short hop into the future in Earth time. But otherwise, the book has …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

The next Alastair Reynolds?

2. x 7

jackaroo???

so the first aliens we meet are going to be a bunch of trainee "sheep" herders ?

so who are the "sheep" and who gets to eat them?

3. Kurgan

Bought it

Nice to see an affordable price for the ebook edition. Just bought it.

1. Pedigree-Pete

Re: Bought it

Me too> Enjoy.

4. oldcoder

Aliens that refuse to show their faces is new?

I think the reviewer missed Clarks "Childhoods End".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Aliens that refuse to show their faces is new?

+1. And at least a few others I've read over the years.

On the other hand, a story which doesn't start by explaining the way of the world over the first few chapters but assumes the reader is intelligent enough to pick it as they go along is an ok author in my book :-)

2. beep54

Or Gene Wolfe's 'Book of the New Sun".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or Janusz Zajdel's "Out of the Shadows" - in which the aliens had more than one excellent reason not to show their faces... Yeah yeah, I know one of the commentards has already said "a few others" - but I am rather partial to Zajdel and his works deserve being mentioned as frequently as possible. Wish someone would finally translate Zajdel into English.

5. James 51

£2 for the ebook? If correct +1 sale on the back of this review.

6. Martin Gregorie

Could this saga turn out to be a longer version of Damon Knight's short story "To Serve Man".

1. Zot
      Mushroom

Damn it!

I'm not buying a blooming cookery book!

7. Pedigree-Pete
    Happy

In the reading queue...

@ 2 quid who wouldn't.

8. Paw Bokenfohr

Purchased - it's the right price for an ebook.

+1 purchase for the ebook version - at £2 it's the right price that I'm willing to give it a go without any personal recommendations, which I usually need if I'm actually buying books (rather than using the library) because books are so expensive, even ebooks normally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon