back to article Microsoft updates Outlook app security, but haters still gunna hate

Microsoft has upgraded the security controls of its mobile Outlook app to allow credentials to be kept on its servers rather than Amazon's. Security upgrades detailed in a Redmond blog include PIN lock enforcement and faster remote wiping of application data, some of which will be deployed in coming months, along with …

1. big_D Silver badge

But why are they storing the passwords on any server at all?

The standard mail client on iOS and Android can get mail without the need for a proxy, even from Exchange accounts. They have no need to store emails and passwords on a third party server, over which the user and their employer have no control...

Until there is an option to use the Outlook app without using the proxy, it cannot be taken as a serious business solution. Which is a shame, because the app itself looks fairly good.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I thought the whole point of an Exchange server was it could do push (ActiveSync). Why would credentials still need to be stored in the cloud, be it AWS or Azure?

1. big_D Silver badge

Exactly, there is no need for them to be stored on AWS or Azure...

2. Robert Grant

Why is the tagline "Amazon moving to Azure"?

Linkbait much?

3. adnim
    Holmes

Nothing is secure

if a third party has any kind of access to the data

And as electronic communication goes through a few third party routers/switches along the way, unless unbreakable encryption is used you are fucked.

A nod, a wink and a nudge, nudge out of sight of a camera/curious eye ball might be the only secure solution.

MS email and many other free email services are absolutely fine for most of the crap that most people talk about. If it is secrets you want to share then do it in private, one to one. Preferably where there is no Samsung TV or Barbie doll etc. etc. in the room.

4. ckm5

Terrible client if you have multiple accounts

Outlook is a terrible client if you have multiple email accounts and expect a universal inbox (like the default mail app). It's missing this basic piece of functionality.

5. Stefan Leslie

I just don't like th Outlook "app" on Windows 10

I tried it, but I find with the "everything appears absolutely flat" theme, visual clues are lacking. I have to read everything and hope what I am reading is also a button. The toolbar annoyingly disappears to the bottom, so I feel like I'm always searching for functionality. 'Gave up in disgust. I will probably be using Email Client software for a long time yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like