back to article $10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

Got £6,899 (US$10,500) to spare and worried that a Cat-6 Ethernet cable is keeping you from hearing the very best of your NAS-stored collection of MP3s? Fear not, your moment has come, with this work of wonder from Audio Quest. El Reg notes that the advertisement indicates the age of Audio Quest's engineers. Since the super- …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: So Stupid

I wholeheartedly agree.

1. SalemTheRat
        Pint

I'm certainly not going to comment.

1. Shades

Neither am I.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

... and neither is my wife.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Happy

Even more stupid would be to reply to a comment about not commenting.

I'm certainly not going to do that.

3. BillG
          Coat

And who gets the stupid hat when not-a-single-person buys it?

C'mon, people will buy this. Poor stupid people buy pet rocks, rich stupid people buy $10,000 ethernet cables.

Remember, there's one born every minute!

2. big_D Silver badge

We bought 50M CAT-.7 last week for under 40€, zero packet loss.

1. Pookietoo
        Boffin

Re: zero packet loss.

But ... but ... jitter ...

2. AndrewDH

Ahh but did you get it delivered for free!! Audio Quest very kindly supply these cables with "Free Delivery"

I am feeling the love already.

3. 0laf

I've checked and even the cat refuses to comment

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cats 1-4 wouldn't comment. Cat5 hid under the sofa and Cat6 hasn't been seen since yesterday.

1. launcap Silver badge
          Happy

> Cat6 hasn't been seen since yesterday

That's because she (and cat 6 in my house is indeed a she - nominally) has bought 10 of these cables on your credit card, resold them down the market from scrap silver value and is now living it large on a mountain of tuna cans..

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OMG you do all realize that you all commented !!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Posting Stupid?

Post anonymously!

2. fruitoftheloon

@Ac: Re: So Stupid

Dear AC ,

I didn't (yet).

J.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

This is not stupid.

A fool and his money will soon be parted. The one who is providing for the needs of unhealthy paranoia and complexes in people is usually not stupid. Immoral - yes. Stupid - no.

Stupid is the one who is _BUYING IT_

1. nuked

"Stupid is the one who is _BUYING IT_"

And who gets the stupid hat when not-a-single-person buys it?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've always found binary value 100101111010111110100001000111 is less reliably transmitted through ordinary Ethernet cable. And this value is often found in classical music encodings. You lose the tips of the 1's. It's more reliably transmitted if coded first using Courier New though.

Yours truly, Stephen Fry

7. Stoneshop

I've already commented, though not on not commenting. Should I consider doing so?

2. Sinick

Anyone who would fall for this load of old bollocks...

...is so bloody dense they'd undergo gravitational collapse and become a black hole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone who would fall for this load of old bollocks...

You do have to admit it does start the week off with a good laugh - ideal for a cold Monday morning.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just try your average audio forum. The snake oil vendors trying to tell you that the really expensive HDMI cables will give you 'better ones and zeros' then the cheap ones abound...Unfortunately it seems that there is no shortage of gullible suckers. This also explains why we still have religions I guess...

1. Preston Munchensonton
        Pint

"This also explains why we still have religions I guess..."

The only constant is change. It was bound to happen, since we've long laid to rest the religious wars over Ethernet v. Token Ring and PC v. Mac.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Speaking of HDMI....

Isn´t there a HDMI to ethernet converter? I need a 40 ft. cable HDMI, or I can just use a spare roll or two of cat5e.

3. Kanhef
    Paris Hilton

One born every minute

There's at least some plausible basis for fancy audio cables for analog connections, where noise or interference can affect the output. (Whether or not that effect is noticeable or not is beside the point.) Once things are digitized, though, all the ridiculously expensive materials become irrelevant; as long as it still resolves to the same sequence of 1s and 0s, it doesn't matter how much noise there is in the signal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One born every minute

But but but....signal quality is always important to get superior audio quality. Without this cable your signal could degrade and the 0s and 1s might end up as 0.15s and 0.96s just imagine the effect on the quality.

1. Tom 35

I'm sure it produces warmer sound, with better clarity, smoother something or other.

1. dan1980

@Tom 35

Warmer?

"Warmer" is dangerously close to something one might be able to quantify objectively.

No, things like cables upgrades and hard drive swaps and CD beveling must bring only the unquantifiable and thus should be described in ambiguous words that can never reflect anything one might be able to test.

Thus, swapping to a more expensive cable will make instruments 'float' in the air yet still, somehow, display far better stereo imagine and separation. They will increase the 'punch' and 'weight' of the bass but never anything quite so crude and pedestrian as increasing the actual amount of bass.

Likewise, no increase in treble but more 'air' for certain. Though yes, it will be 'smother' and with better clarity, Also something about transients.

2. hplasm
          Facepalm

The 1s are straighter and more defined, the 0s are rounder and smoother...

1. Mpeler
            Paris Hilton

"the 0s are rounder and smoother..."

So round, so firm, so fully packed. Lucky Strike means fine tobacco fidelity...

Paris, well, because...

3. Ian Johnston Silver badge

I think the phrase you're looking for is "It opens up the sound stage".

2. Charles 9

That's the thing. I know some cables can be so messed up that signals get flip-flopped (1's become 0's and vice versa) or just plain cut off, resulting in signal loss. Just how crappy do the cables have to be to reach that point?

Another point I'm wondering. I recall electrons can move at different speeds through different solids. How much an effect would silver have on the speed of electrons vs. copper? And how would that translate into a lag savings?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Speed of electrons

In a good conductor electrons travel millimeters per second. A semiconductor has far fewer electrons (or holes) that can move, so given the same current density, the electrons travel much faster. If they want fast electrons, silver is a really bad choice.

When one electron moves, it leaves behind an excess of positive charge that attracts electrons. The place it arrives at gets an excess negative charge that repels electrons. Although the electrons themselves barely move, regions with extra or missing electrons move fast - like a ripple on a pond moves far more than individual water molecules.

An excess of charge in one place is a voltage. A change in voltage moves along a pair of wires at the speed of light in the insulator between them. Light travels through popular insulators at between one half and one third the speed of light in vacuum. High frequency traders have already switched to air to reduce latency.

I can just imagine audiophools listening to their music with vacuum spaced ethernet cables while a pump chugs away to maintain the vacuum.

1. 's water music

Re: Speed of electrons

In a good conductor electrons travel millimeters per second. A semiconductor has far fewer electrons (or holes) that can move, so given the same current density, the electrons travel much faster. If they want fast electrons, silver is a really bad choice.

IME really fast electrons give a clinical listening experience. You really loose the warmth of slower conducting media. I couldn't believe the difference when I swapped from 1.5 metre silver interconnects to 50 metre cables. The increased propagation delay allowed the pre-amp time to really open up the sound-stage. Honestly I think it even beats liquid nitrogen cooled granite speaker stands I bought last year.

1. lotus49

I used to know someone who really talked like this. He has plenty of money so £10k on a pair of speaker cables wasn't that big a deal to him. I pointed out that measuring equipment was not able to discern any difference between his solid silver interconnects and £50 copper cables. He did indeed resort to the audiophile nonsense of talking about "warmth", which, according to him, couldn't be measured. He genuinely believed that there was a difference so, to him, the £10k was worth it.

Clearly, he was a fuckwit of the first order but he really thought his money was well-spent. Truly, high end (i.e. high price) audio equipment is the alchemy de nos jours.

1. AlbertH

You're STILL being suckered at £50 speaker cables. Nice mains twin flex (25 - 50p / metre) works perfectly well as speaker cable - and there is NO measurable difference to the £50 or even £500 cables frequently bought by audiophools.

2. picturethis

This reminds me of my youth, (carbon)-dating myself here. Back in the mid-70's during the Citizen's Band radio craze (here in the US) I once had a guy open up his trunk (boot?) and proclaim that he had a stronger mobile signal than anyone else. He made this bold statement because he had 200' feet of coax rolled up in there connected between his rig and the antenna - and at 3db / 100 ft he was getting 6 db of gain (4x) the power. I just said "cool" and walked away... I didn't know where to begin... and even if I had he wouldn't have believed me.

1. earl grey
              Devil

maybe if he had a linear amplifier (which was popular at the time). I still have mine around here somewhere...

1. Gartal

No, not in this digital age. a linear amplifier would not do the trick, he wants a massively parallel token ring powered starnet clustercon exuberance extatisising malifluence incredulating widget grumplising wallet deflator, something like the cable being talked about.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

are you still using electrons?

I use positrons for all my interconnects - of course you have to reverse the 1s and 0s

3. jeffdyer

"lose"

2. TheOtherHobbes

Er - actually...

Vacuum Reference Cable

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

"Vacuum Reference Cable"

We have quite a complex compressor and liquid helium to maintain our vacuum. How do they do that in a cable?

3. Peter Simpson 1
          Holmes

In a good conductor electrons travel millimeters per second.

Anyone who had attended one of the late RADM Grace Hopper's lectures knows that electricity travels about a foot in a nanosecond.

1. John 62

The electromagnetic wave travels about a foot in a nanosecond, but the electrons themselves don't go nearly so fast.

2. ew100

Er, no. The electric field wavefront moves at the speed of light in the medium, the electrons themselves just rattle around a little and drift gently along. If you had relativistic electrons bouncing around in your cable i) your cable probably wouldn't last long and ii) you really wouldn't want to be within a few feet of it!

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But it's the signal speed we're really interested in, not the drift velocity.

5. Gartal
          Paris Hilton

Except that Silver is a far better conductor than copper, in fact the best room temperature metallic conductor on the planet. The problem is not conduction or reluctance in copper or silver, it is in the use of silver as contacts. The silver will eventually tarnish unless coated with something meaning that all of those poor little electrons will become neurotic or tied up with ennui because of the presence of oxides. Then your piece of Benjamin Britain conducting Handles Fireworks music will come out as Sid Vicious on banjo with the violin parts played by Doug on the drums.

6. Fatman

I can just imagine audiophools listening to their music with vacuum spaced ethernet cables while a pump chugs away to maintain the vacuum while connected to their vacuum tube (i.e. 'valve' for you Brits) amplifier.

FOOLS and their money are quickly parted!!!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon