back to article UK watchdog grills big biz: So HOW do you use their 'consumer data'?

The UK's main competition regulator is looking to build its knowledge of how consumer data is collected, used and traded by businesses. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has asked businesses, trade bodies and other stakeholders to provide it with information about the commercial use of UK consumer data (10-page/262KB …

1. vagabondo

enforcement action

So is this "consultation" just an excuse to avoid/procrastinate on the previous decision to take action against the unfair use of fonsumers' data?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: enforcement action

Perhaps it is just procrastination. The cynic in me, though, wonders whether it is a sign that the government wants a piece of the action.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: enforcement action

"an excuse to avoid/procrastinate...to take action against the unfair use"

Far from it. One of the objectives seems to be "how the CMA may promote competition in this area". It looks like they're out to make things worse.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"This has a positive side, in that it helps us ... to receive more targeted advertising"

Don't these muppets realise that some of us just don't want to receive any advertising, let alone more targeted?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't bode well for the outcome that he apparently dwells entirely in a particularly nasty kool-aid induced la-la land where ads really are fun. Sadly, this suggestion of targeted ads as a positive thing appears more and more often, and not always spouted by marketing weasels, although often its along the lines of 'at least its better than random ads'; personally I find them more irritating.

I'd bet their 'better understanding' doesn't extend to the consumers point of view, just the creation of a better fig leaf for data grabbing.

3. Chronos
    Facepalm

Slurp it, trade it, sell it, swap it...

...store it, mine it, monetise it?

Damn you, now I'm going to have that tune in my head all day, along with images of the animatronic Chuckie with his face peeled off.

To keep it on topic, if you don't want it mined, don't give it out in the first place. Think before you fill in that form, "do these people really need this information? Can these people validate this information?" If the answer is no to either, simply don't fill it in or falsify. Honesty may be the best policy but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. If you drop a dead cow down the well of your digital footprint they're going to have to stop slurping the water from it eventually.

4. CaptainBanjax

Steady on...

Advertising and data slurping dont have to be the same thing.

Id much rather watch ads than pay for stuff. Im astonished theres no movie streaming service like netflix that isnt already doing it without a sub fee.

Collecting data and selling it is fine as well...as long as it is anonymous and after a certain period of time it gets published and made available to everyone.

Im sure marketing data has a useful shelf life. So once its reached a certain age and is less useful it should be published.

The only way to help cut down on taking the piss with data collection is make the fuckers publish it in its entirety. They can be caught out then.

Plus everyone gets to benefit from the knowledge then to some extent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Steady on...

Sadly, it doesn't take much to deanonymize with just a few data-sets: www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/30/a_docket_tweet_and_selfie_can_reveal_your_identity_boffins_find/

5. Little Mouse
    Happy

The real question is this

Can you patent new pasta shapes?

"Buttarelli". Yeah.

6. Teiwaz

I'm seeing a lot of 'walk in shower' ads today.

Starting to make me feel paranoid. If this is targeted advertising, how old do they think I am anyway?

As the day went on, and I got progressively tired, they started to look tempting though

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like