back to article Is it humanly possible to watch Gigli and Battlefield Earth back-to-back?

Our piece earlier this week on a study which proved The Wizard of Oz is the "most significant" movie ever – by dint of being the flick most referenced in subsequent works – provoked some interesting comments from our ever-lively readers. It goes without saying that a lot of your output centred on the researchers' possibly …

Page:

1. Dramoth

I reckon that I have something...

that beats all three of those movies in the unwatchable stakes. A movie so bad that Stephan King successfully sued to have his name removed from the original title.

The Lawnmower Man... enough said

1. Lionel Baden

Re: I reckon that I have something...

Hey !!!

I really enjoyed that film as a kid ... I was probably a bit young to be watching it but, HEY !!! all the same

1. Fungus Bob

I reckon you do have something, Lionel.

Perhaps you could get a soothing unguent from an apothecary....

2. dogged

Oh, I can beat that.

Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie

1. DragonLord

How about Hercules in new york starring Arnold Schwarzenegger

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Hercules in New York is a very watchable film. It's laughable, yes, the acting is terrible, and the background traffic noise on Mount Olympus destroys any sense of realism. However, it does have a plot, and is actually enjoyable despite being a terrible film.

2. asdf

I guess one edge to some of the European readers is they probably have never heard of Larry the Cable Guy (voice of Mater in movie Cars) and his total garbage movies (think the Ernest movies but mean spirited and with a lot more toilet humor). I can't imagine anyone would waste time dubbing those pieces of shit into any other language.

3. Amorous Cowherder
      WTF?

You've obviously never watched JET ( also known as Ground Control ) starring Keither Sutherland!

OH GOD IT'S BLOODY AWFUL! The set must have cost about £5 to build/rent out of hours. Sutherland seems to have taken his inspiration from Ted Striker in Airplane! It's shot at night for the external shots which consist of our hero having flashbacks and chain smoking while standing in a stairwell! The interior set must have been about 10 foot square max. The worst bit is the fact that when the plane safely lands it's daylight AND the shots were taken from another movie! Train wreck? It's a full on train-carrying-nuclear-warhead-hitting-a-city wreck!

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Boffin

JET? it can't be as bad as Dark City.

Can it?

Noooooo!

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
          Devil

Dark City? Not sure you understood the question...

However, one movie I gave up on within 30 minutes was Avatar. Star Wars gets a pass from most people despite its awful dialogue, but all the special effects in the world couldn't save Avatar's.

1. stuartnz

I heartily endorse your view, of the film, but one good thing did come out of Avatar: One of my favourite movie reviews ever

http://io9.com/5576076/m-night-shyamalan-finally-made-a-comedy

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
              Pint

Hah, brilliant.

(Although I was referring to the movie called simply "Avatar")

2. JW 1

Seriously, Dark City? That is actually a masterpiece so probably too deep for you. Ebert would get many film professionals and review it frame by frame for the extraordinary elements in it. Read his reviews and enlighten yourself.

1. dan1980

Dark City?

Whatever you think of the plot, the design, the morality or anything else, it has Jennifer Connelly in it. And no movie with Jennifer Connelly in it can be justly called unwatchable

Not even Inkheart or Noah* and especially not pre-2000 Jennifer Connelly, when she still qualified as 'voluptuous'. Winter's Tale has received particularly poor reviews but, with not only Jennifer Connelly but Jessica Brown Findlay in it, I can't imagine it even approaches unwatchable, however bad it is.

Wash your mouth out, sir. (Or perhaps your eyes.)

* - I still have next to no idea what was going on there.

2. AlanS

I like "Jet" and have watched it several times (Kelly McGillis doesn't hurt). I've never watched it stone cold sober, though, and the DVD came free with the player.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. asdf

Monster A Go-Go and Manos: The Hands of Fate back to back

Don't try this at home, EVER! Even the robots from MST 3000 cried in agony watching.

6. cray74

"The Lawnmower Man... enough said"

Lawnmower Man (theatrical release) wasn't bad for the era and I enjoyed it, although I was quite into cyberpunk at the time and hence biased. I even liked little touches like having Lawnmower man's wife walk out on him, never to return. Movies just don't leave loose ends like that. I thought it was bold for a mainstream movie.

Then I got a chance to watch the director's cut and found that that the pieces cut out of the theatrical release really helped the movie. In the director's cut, the wife returned to be mind-controlled into a mindless, cornball zombie that hurt the movie. A lot of the extra bits did not help at all. If you saw the unabridged director's cut, I'm sorry, you're seeing the worse movie.

I walked out Lawnmower Man II. It's one of two movies I've walked out of. Battlefield Earth would've been a third, but I was paralyzed like a deer in headlights by its horribleness. The only other movie that's been so painful to watch (for me) was Dragon Wars.

7. The Packrat

Nukie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107715/

Oh God, the flashbacks are starting up again...

2. Sokolik
    Thumb Up

Hmmmm...

...once again, wondering if such superlatives and lists are generated merely to attract attention and generate flame wars so as to pile-up the advert revenue.

Oh well. Doesn't matter. I still want to put in my $20.00 (that's $.02 adjusted for inflation since my birth) worth. I'm as opinionated and mouthy as the next guy.

In defense-- however slight-- of "Pearl Harbor": for a military-history and aircraft buff, it may be worth the price of admission just for the five or ten minutes of FX of the B-25's marshalling aboard and then launching from "Hornet" for the Doolittle Raid. Sure had me convinced. Of course, to connect anybody in England or at Pearl with the Doolittle Raid is just plain silly. But that's what movies are for.

ElReg ed's: completely agree with your judgements. Dramoth: completely agree with your judgement.

However, I can't be the only one also thinking of "Ishtar", "Water World", "Howard the Duck", and "Heaven's Gate".

Let the flame wars begin...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Hmmmm...

I didn't think Waterworld was that terrible. It was slow, and could have done with some jokes, and fun goodies, but it had a few bonkers action sequences and cheerfully nasty baddies. And as a bit of lazy TV, where you can visit the kettle during the boring bits, it's better than quite a lot of other stuff I've seen. Of course I didn't pay to see it at the cinema...

I assume there are good action sequences in Pearl Harbour, but it seems to go on for ever, and whenever I've come across it on TV, it's been in some interminable bar scene, or just dull conversation - so I've never managed to stick around long enough to see if there are any good bits. Or even interesting characters.

I've never seen Gigli and only vaguely remember switching Battlefield Earth off after a couple of minutes - so can't comment. Although my memories of the Phantom Menace are pretty dire - and whatever the 3rd one was called when Haden Christensen's total inability to act and George Lucas' appalling ear for dialogue combined into a bumb-numbing crescendo of awfulness.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

take a downvote for attempting to defend 'waterworld'!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

OK. Downvote accepted.

It was surely better than Robin Hood Prince of Thieves though - apart from anything due to not having that bloody song. Another awful film only slightly redeemed by the baddie.

1. Tim Jenkins

Ah, yes, Prince of Thieves. Where the opening montage has them landing under the White Cliffs of Dover, announcing that they will be in Nottingham by nightfall (170 miles), and then travelling there via a slight detour of 120 miles further north to Hadrian's Wall. Outstanding!

(but totally redeemed by Alan Rickman, of course. There must be a 'Costner-free' edit around somewhere...)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"You, my room. You, my room in 10 minutes. Bring a friend"

----------

"Cut his heart out, with a spoon".

"Why a spoon?"

"Because it'll hurt more you idiot"

2. Tim Jenkins

"...landing under the White Cliffs of Dover*..."

*actually filmed at the Seven Sisters cliffs in Sussex, which Wikipedia notes a being "a stand-in for the more famous White Cliffs of Dover, since they are relatively free of anachronistic modern development and are also allowed to erode naturally". The film makers probably wanted to imply that they were part of the well-known Nottinghamshire coastline...

1. BongoJoe

Upvote for the "well known Nottinghamshire coastline".

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I'm quite fond of Howard the Duck, which has a good cast and a number of funny lines.

Water World I just thought was terribly boring. It had all the stupid of, say, Tank Girl but none of the cheesy joy. Costner is convinced he's god's gift to cinema (just read an interview where he blathers on about his latest Great White Father flick and confirms the diagnosis), and can't lighten up enough to play "web-footed messiah" as any way other than completely straight.

I've never seen more than bits and pieces of the other two.

3. Mark 85

Two on the list are the worst.. one, maybe not.

This list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst doesn't include "Pearl Harbor" for some reason so that might <rolls eyes> be the saving grace of the whole experiment. Or not...

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Two on the list are the worst.. one, maybe not.

Phew... I watched only one film on that list but I've seen some real shit, where in comparison Highlander 2* could be considered "good". Now I can only guess how bad the rest of those worst must be...

*Renegade Version

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dear Evil Auditor

If you are going to include less savoury titles in the worst movies ever, the selection process will become much harder....

Fnarr Fnarr.

2. James O'Shea

Feh. Neither Barbarella nor Galexina were on the 'worst' list, which shows that it couldn't possibly be a list of the real worst films ever.

1. itzman

Barbarella was so bad it was genius. Imagine two teenage kids rolling around the floor laughing the whole way through...

I believe Plan 9 from outer space is generally reckoned to be the worst scifi of all time.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I believe Plan 9 from outer space is generally reckoned to be the worst scifi of all time.

If we include the excremental Uwe Boll disaster Alone in the Dark, then Plan 9 is far from the worst. But Alone is really horror / fantasy, not SF. I don't know if Boll has ever made a film that could comfortably labeled SF.

I'm sure I've seen SF films on MST3K that are comfortably worse than Plan 9 by pretty much any measure. Certainly less entertaining.

If we include made-for-TV movies shown on the SyFy cable channel, then Plan 9 is closer to Oscar territory than "worst ever".

1. The Packrat

Has Boll actually made anything that qualifies as a movie?

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

What?

No Highlander 2 and 3?

<Meldrew Mode>

I can't believe it

</Meldrew Mode>

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: What?

Well obviously not, Voland... there can only be one!

2. Kevin Fairhurst
      Headmaster

Pedant mode... Meldrew's catchphrase was "I DON'T believe it"

3. auburnman

Re: Victor Meldrew

As a completely off topic aside, I liked my first mobile phone number because it ended in 4291 and was thus much easier to memorise.

4. It'sa Mea... Mario

'No Highlander 2 and 3?'

Thought 3 was okay if you ignore the fact that 2 exists however it has been years since I watched it.

IIRC 2 seemed to be a victim of the 'global warming' media circus that predated the 'climate change' media circus.

5. Greg J Preece

Don't forget Highlander 4 and 5. Yes, I am 100% serious. In fact, Highlander: The Source is far far worse in sheer concept alone than Highlander 2.

1. JEDIDIAH

Oh god. They managed to take a better executed cast of characters (from the TV show) and managed to trash the thing beyond all recognition. It (The Source) was like some horrible fan fiction brought to life.

1. Greg J Preece

That fucking super-speed attack thing at the end where he literally makes the villain spin around so fast he drills into the ground like a fucking Looney Tunes cartoon... When the guy started singing "Who Wants to Live Forever" I wanted to reach through the screen and get me some quickening.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope that the damage is not permanent

Note that there are potentially serious health and safety issues with such combinations. Like mixing wine and vodka in the same night. Your taste may not recover. Ever.

1. tony2heads

Re: Hope that the damage is not permanent

I think that you would lose the will to live

6. Sokolik
    Alert

I resemble(d) that remark.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Dumb lists

I like Battlefield Earth, so there.

And anyway, why isn't Last Tango in Paris in the 'Most Dreadful' list?

1. BongoJoe

Re: Dumb lists

Because it is 'art' and the inclusion of Brando made it a 'great film' according to the beardies at the Grauniad or someplace.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Methinks you're right.

I'm not too picky when it comes to films - if I enjoy a film I don't care what others think of it. But Last Tango - that is one film I regret seeing.

2. Tim Jenkins

Brando and that butter. The horror, the horror....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon