back to article Bloke claims someone paid him 85,000 for a web glitter bomb factory

We are all in the wrong business, it seems. An Australian man is bragging that he just bagged $85,000 by selling a new website that claims to send out packets of glitter to people. Mathew Carpenter, 22, says he sold off ShipYourEnemiesGlitter.com to an anonymous buyer, who won it in an auction on Flippa.com. As its name would …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was the best idea ever.

I'd never ever ever take sides with anyone who disagrees with that either...

... (backs slowly away from the angry mob holding all the glitter)

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: This was the best idea ever.

Bruce Schneier had an anecdote, I think in CryptoGram, along these lines:

There's a company in the US named Uncle Milton that sells ant farms - sandwiches of sand and lucite that kids put ants in, so they can see how the ants construct their tunnels. And then the kids lose interest and the ants die and life goes on.

An Uncle Milton Ant Farm includes, in the purchase price, a colony of live ants. But just sticking the ants in the box and letting them wait while it gathers dust on a store shelf until some particularly nerdy kid comes along doesn't work that well, so UM instead includes a postage-paid card with the set. You fill in your name and address and mail the card in, and you receive a tube full of live ants by return post. Lovely.

Schneier notes that it didn't take long for him, and no doubt others, to realize that for the price of an Uncle Milton Ant Farm, you could have live ants mailed (surprise!) to the US-resident victim of your choice.

And that, he said, is what it means to think like a security analyst.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tips and corrections

'that sends out packets glitter'

Missing "of" perhaps?

Why does the 'Tips and corrections' link have to be a mailto?

I don't have a mail client installed on my home PC, I use webmail.

Can't you provide a corrections link that doesn't involve me right-clicking then copy/pasting the address in to my webmail?

Given the shoddy grammar in El Reg articles in recent months it might help reduce the clutter in the comments, which I know I have just added to.

No doubt I have made some grammatical error(s) in my post which will be pointed out to me by other commentards. Go for it guys 'n' gals, I can take it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tips and corrections

Just make the correction in the comments as you have done. If it gets fixed your comment gets removed.

2. brotherelf
      Boffin

Re: Tips and corrections

Find out if your webmail provider supports "registerProtocolHandler" (https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/webappapis.html#custom-handlers) , and if not, why not – mailto: links can be handled by web pages in modern browsers.

3. skeptical i
    Devil

As one of my fellow commentards noted a while back,

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter." Perhaps that's the upgrade deluxe package? Too bad that thought hadn't occurred to John Waters when he directed _Pink Flamingos_, it would have made The Marbles' "gift" to Divine even more ... intriguing.

1. Haku

Re: As one of my fellow commentards noted a while back,

Mythbusters successfully polished a turd...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What's new?

"So pay us money, provide an address anywhere in the world & we'll send them so much glitter in an envelope that they'll be finding that shit everywhere for weeks,"

The grandchildren do something similar with angel hair every Christmas.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: What's new?

The grandchildren do something similar with angel hair every Christmas.

The pasta, or are they actually stealing hair from angels?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, not the Mariah Carey film

I don't know who said it originally, but they nailed it on the head when they called glitter "the herpes of craft materials".

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Glitter Bomb

It's surprising a site, so simple can sell for 85k. I made a similar site this weekend glitterbombenemies.info just to prove how easy it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon