back to article AT LAST: Australia gets its very own malware

Australians are being targeted by a new variant of the Carberp malware under what appears to be renewed criminal interest in the antipodes. The modified trojan, Carberp.C, was spread through a spam operation masquerading as a payment invoice. Virus writers pushed the malware out a day after coding it, Symantec researcher …

1. mr. deadlift

Silver lining.

... due to their insanely piss weak internet infrastructure, the rate of infection is relatively low compared to other more advanced nations.

Yay - tick one up for team Abbott!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Silver lining.

Nah, its the internet filtering from labor that saved us. They now have all the sus web sites you visit logged in their database. When they eventually get back in power they are coming for you

2. poopypants

Yet another advantage

to using a Chromebox for most of my recreational computing stuff. (Except games, of course. So far that's been the only reason for me to occasionally wake up my big desktop PC.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big companies are being targeted too

It's not just the little guy. All those old browsers and archaic versions of Java that big businesses in Oz still rely on to run all their mission critical operations are biting hard with this one...

4. Elton van Maanen

Australia Tax

Do we have to pay more than other countries for the decryption key?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like