back to article Is is a Bird? Is it a Plane? NO! LOOK OUT it's an ASTEROID!

Next week, a half-kilometre chunk of rock is going to provide a show for amateur and professional astronomers alike. NASA reckons the asteroid 2004 BL86 flyby, at just three times the Earth-Moon distance, will be the nearest pass by any known object for quite some time to come. The next asteroid to pass similarly close will be …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bah!

Having shivered my butt off too many times in hope of a meteor display to rival the great shower of 1833 and generally been rewarded with "several per hour!" or "observers in clear sky locations had multiple orgasms" (then went blind...), now I refuse to get out of bed for anything that I can't see through the front door spyhole (of my basement flat...)

(to be fair one Perseid shower did have a dawn fireball with a visible smoke trail but my idea of a meteor radiant is roughly what Han Solo sees when jumping to light speed)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Thanks...

...for the advanced weather forecast. Now I know it will be cloudy, probably raining, possibly snowing on that date.

1. Mark 85

Re: Thanks...

All the above and serious fog to boot....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks...

Bigfoot to bog?

It's early in the morning...

3. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

What was I going to say?

I read the other people's comments and... errmm.. something about.. errrmmm...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Am I right in assuming that...

...when they bombard it with microwaves, it'll cook it so it glows, cause Humanity to go blind, and make man-eating plants uproot themselves to go looking for blind midnight snacks on two legs?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Am I right in assuming that...

No. When they Microwave it, it'll wake up. Then start firing it's death-rays in retaliation.

2. Peb

I was hoping for an asteroid that would turn everyone in L.A to dust, except two hot valley girls

1. Afernie

Is one the small blonde bubbly one nobody remembers, and the other Catherine Mary Stewart, by any chance? Showing my age and my fondness for cheese here.

1. Little Mouse

Cheese, yes. But damn fine cheese.

5. frank ly

Frikin' lasers

That's what they need to bombard it with, so we can see it when it goes past.

1. FunkyEric

Re: Frikin' lasers

How are you going to get the sharks onto the asteroid?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I say we send up Bruce Willis and a drilling team with nukes

Or nuke it from orbit -it's the only way to be sure.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microwave

But how will we know when it's done?

1. Alvar
      Coat

Re: Microwave

It'll go 'DING' of course

1. Mister_C
        Facepalm

Re: Microwave

In space nobody can hear you go "ding"

8. Paul Herber Silver badge

ding-dong

If it goes DING and then DONG the asteroid will have to be renamed Leslie Philips.Then we'll discover that it's not an asteroid at all but a defunct computer (Hactar).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think there is something missing from your NASA quotes - rocks 'n' stuff pass us much closer than this all the time ( one last week was ~ 100K miles away; it was much smaller though ).

10. Ogi

0300 EST eh?

So, 2000 GMT?

While I would imagine that the UK weather will do what it does best, at least thanks to the net we can now observe it somewhere where you can actually see without the clouds, smog and light pollution.

11. Tromos

The asteroid is frozen...

..so I hope they remember to microwave accordingly, breaking off half way to give the contents a good stir...

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Frozen? in that case...

let it go, let it go

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Re: Frozen? in that case...

have a beer it dizney do harm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like