back to article Siri, are you afraid of Facebook's new speech recognition tech?

Facebook is buying speech recognition startup Wit.ai, in an apparent bid to counter rival chatterbox tech from the likes of Apple, Google, and Microsoft. "Facebook's mission is to connect everyone and build amazing experiences for the over 1.3 billion people on the platform – technology that understands natural language is a …

1. Teiwaz

Wit.ai to become drivel.ai in facebook snapup.

Another potentially cool company snapped up.

Of course it's service will still remain free, the cows can eat as much grass as they wish (would have said sheep, but that's a tired old metaphor).

And linux, couple of good projects recently, palaver, google2ubuntu, but they use the google api. Simon-lisitens has been around for a while, but last time I tried it, it was still in much the same state.

The most important point, however, is that all these speech recognition systesm, seem to be marketed on the cool/mostly useless factors. How good are they from the accessibility point of view. Do they help the visually or movement impaired to operate their devices?

2. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

Why?

Isn't speech recognition something that belongs with the OS? Are Facebook going to create one?

Not sure I see the point.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because Facebook must crush the world

With their, erm, social media platform.

1. Crisp

Re: Because Facebook must crush the world

With their, erm, social media platform. content free advertising platform.

FTFY

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Mushroom

I'm on the freeway

"The engine can even learn as users send in more input from a given application, offering new possible phrasings for given intents. If the engine guesses wrong, developers can go in and retrain it or add new intents as necessary."

Will the engine learn to associate "AAAAARRRGGH!" with "I'm crashing my car"?

FB internal status update: Target the friends of <user> with adverts for flowers.

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Hi Facebook!

I have two words for you to learn...

1. N2

Re: Hi Facebook!

Fornicate elsewhere?

1. Graham Lockley

Re: Hi Facebook!

I'm sorry Dave....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like