nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Even China's Academy of Science thinks wearables are privacy problem

Silver badge
Trollface

Privacy problem

Is there a "house arrest ankle bracelet" app? I smell an opportunity here.

FAIL

Research?

How about reading decade old news papers or even fiction novels or reading the forum posts here?

I guess 'research' has to find a new word for itself.

Silver badge

"h Dakota State University"? New one on me.

The rest? No street cred at all. (China? Australia? Really?)

Most folks with any security sense have pooh-poohed the entire concept of "IoT" since it's very conception.

Non-story, at least from my perspective.

Anonymous Coward

Ya think?

Thankfully wearable's are being banned in many places already. It's amazing just how ignorant and sheeple like some clueless people can be to buy this crap.

Silver badge

Not so fast

It's Google Glass that's being banned (where that is happening, and not all that common) because - surprise - people don't like being filmed by people they don't know. Wrist thingys for cardio measurement and such are on the uptake and I see no reason for those things to be banned.

Sounds like a great reason to NOT have an exercise monitor, he says lazily. ;-)

Silver badge

Hmm, What?

None of the people I talk to who are not directly involved with IT ( and a few who are) have any clue of what I am talking about when I mention privacy issues with such technology as the IoT or anything else for that matter.

So it really doesn't matter ( according to them).

Nothing will be taken seriously by the supporters of the IoT until there is significant public awareness and concern, I think that may be a long time coming.

I read somewhere that the ignorant are blessed with blissful lives.

Other People's Privacy

The real can of worms here is that wearable tech is starting to infringe on other, completely unsuspecting, people. Who knows what is inadvertently being filmed, collected or whatever by techno-geeks that are incapable of exisitng without clutching some sort of electronic device. The more that video and NFC come into this, the greater the risk to the unsuspecting population as a whole.

Trouble is that at the moment there is no way of knowing it is in use around you or stopping it.

It is the same old thing where very clever boffins, who are completely out of touch with reality design/invent/discover something. The knock-on of that is then completely out of control as commercial of policitical motives take over and mindless idiots jump on the next must-have bandwaggon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing