back to article Intel touts tardy Broadwell Core CPUs for laptops, PCs

Intel kicked off this year's CES conference in Las Vegas by taking wraps off the much-delayed fifth generation of its Core line of processors, along with the newest generation of its Atom chips for tablets. The new Core line, codenamed "Broadwell-U," brings Chipzilla's 14-nanometer process technology to mainstream desktops, …

1. PleebSmash
    Devil

no question

Intel will delay Skylake to bolster Broadwell. I don't like it, but even I would do it.

2. Mikel

Cherry Trail

Oh wonderful. A new chip to put Tablet Windows on, for the 20th annual Windows Tablet Failure Festival.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WOT Not Quad Core CPU?

All the SKU's shown seem to be Dual Core with Hyperthreading.

Ok, I'll pass on my upgrade if this is all there is.

Come on Intel if these devices are so good let us have some with lots of cores (>8) and no silly graphics and not at XEON prices.

1. Prof Denzil Dexter

Re: WOT Not Quad Core CPU?

my thought too. Might be a nice CPU to stick in a NUC or a laptop, but i want a quad for my desktop

1. Nigel 11

My desktop is a dual-core gen 4 Celeron and is fast enough for everything I need it for. Some in family have commented that it's "very fast" -- that's because it has an SSD not an HD. CPU was chosen for fanless operation, for which purpose these new 15W parts represent a big improvement.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Ok, I'll pass on my upgrade if this is all there is.

It isn't. Like the article said, this is the mainstream/mobile version of Broadwell; Broadwell-U. Your quad (and more) core SKUs are yet to come.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks pretty medocre

~4% CPU performance gain ain't great and even worse than Intel's last two CPU/APU gigs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks pretty medocre

Increases in battery life and graphics performance are what people want. Maybe if apps were GPGPU enabled they'd see better performance.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Looks pretty medocre

~4% CPU performance gain ain't great

I'd call it "lost in the noise".

That said, how often is something like Microsoft Word CPU-bound? For most users, I'd bet even Excel spends very little time actually calculating. (People who use Excel for serious data-crunching - quants and computational scientists and the like - probably see it CPU-bound more often. But they're a minority.)

So 4% improvement for "productivity applications", while negligible, is also probably reasonable, simply because those applications spend so little time on the CPU. They spend most of their time waiting for the user, and most of the remainder in I/O.

5. Banksy
    Pint

Lenovo

The Lenovo LaVie HZ550 lappy that's just been announced at CES looks like a sexy bit of Broadwell based kit.

6. hammarbtyp

Not a high bar

Intel is particularly proud of the graphics performance upgrades of the 14nm chips. Broadwell offers up to a 22 per cent improvement in 3D graphics performance, the company said, and video conversion runs 50 per cent faster.

22 percent improvement on poor only gets you to barely adequate...

7. Dan Paul

Socket Type & Chipset??

It's wonderful to get reviews on new CPU's but I (and others) would certainly appreciate some indication of the socket type the new CPU requires and what new chipset provides all the features that the CPU provides.

A CPU without a motherboard is almost less than useless. An incompatible motherboard certainly is.

And I fully agree that typical Intel graphics are not up to snuff compared to a $300 Radeon or NVidia card, however for simple tasks like normal word processing, Browsers and Youtube videos, the Intel stuff is way better than it used to be and most motherboards have an onboard HDMI connector now. Probably quite good enough for a skinny laptop/tablet but not for 4K. Hell 8K is not that far away so they better get to work.

Much easier to diagnose a bad video card with the option of using the onboard GPU. I just wish there were more BIOS options for control of which components are on or off.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Socket Type & Chipset??

"I (and others) would certainly appreciate some indication of the socket type the new CPU requires and what new chipset provides all the features that the CPU provides."

Sure - as soon as we know, we'll let you know. You're commenting on an old story BTW.

C.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like