back to article Universal Pictures told off for scaring kids with nasty vid

Universal Pictures has had its hand slapped by the Advertising Standards Authority for scaring kiddies by featuring a 15-rated horror film clip before Youtube videos of Minecraft characters. The complaint was made after an eight-year-old boy saw a Youtube ad for the film As Above, So Below and became distressed by it. Scenes …

1. phil dude
    Childcatcher

targeting children....

Perhaps money making institutions should not be allowed to market to children, at all?

Of course, this might leave the religious corporations struggling*...

P.

*religion remains the top investment amongst those with no idea.

1. SteveK

Re: targeting children....

The problem seems to be that they are allowed to assume that not logged in = over 18 since they have no way to know the age otherwise, which means that they can show the ads to anyone. The only way they can reliably not show the ads to children is to require login and require that everyone including children disclose personal information, such as age (and probably a dozen other mandatory fields for marketing purposes). Which is also something that is not encouraged nor desirable.

So perhaps the only workable solution is to ban ads altogether? Or at least ads that are not suitable for children, other than on sites that are targetting adults (and require adults to sign up to view).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The only way they can reliably not show the ads to children is to require login and require that everyone including children disclose personal information, such as age"

You've said the right solution (age-tiered ads), but a bit backwards and come to the wrong conclusion (to ban ads).

What they need to do is:

- Not signed in = family friendly ads only

- Signed in = ads suitable up to 13yrs (I believe 13 is the min age in the T&Cs)

- Signed in - supplied age in profile = ads suitable for that age

No need to ban ads. :-)

Although this is probably more for Google/YouTube to provide support for rather than something Universal Pictures can implement themselves. It may already be in there, can't say I've ever advertised online.

1. frank ly

If I remember correctly, YouTube asks you to sign-in if you're about to see a video clip that is intended for a 'mature' audience. They can determine this by the clip being reported and then moderated by them, or by the author of the clip doing a self-classification. So surely it was up to Universal Pictures to correctly classify their advert?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"If I remember correctly, YouTube asks you to sign-in if you're about to see a video clip that is intended for a 'mature' audience. They can determine this by the clip being reported and then moderated by them, or by the author of the clip doing a self-classification. So surely it was up to Universal Pictures to correctly classify their advert?"

A video clip yes, but the video clip wasn't for mature audiences, the clip was of Minecraft suitable for children. It was the ad inserted before it by Google/YouTube on behalf of Universal Pictures that was for mature audiences, so either:

- Universal Pictures didn't flag the ad as mature

- Google/YouTube don't provide age-targeted ads (I find that hard to believe)

2. solo

"..YouTube asks you to sign-in if you're about to see a video clip.."

This is true for the published content, but I doubt if they apply same logic (warning or filtering) for the ads. It seems more like the publishing site's responsibility for proper moderation of ads for which Google already has murky history.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/21/google_was_repeatedly_warned_over_illegal_drug_ads/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/13/google_potential_doj_settlement/

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Heck! That means losing prospect viewers and money! The rule is ignore anything sensible until someone complains, then say "we regret it!!" and apply some little changes until something else like that happens again....

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"ban ads altogether"

But Google would never allow that to happen since that's well over 90% of their income right there...

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"religious corporations"

Well, technically the Catholic Church is one of the largest corporations on the planet:

-Multiple offices in nearly every country in the world (Even multiple offices in prime locations)

-Just under 1.25 Billion customers

-Over 415,000 employees

-Continued operation for well over 1000 years

-Insane levels of income (No public figures available, but given their real-estate assets...)

-Unparallelled levels of political influence (No taxes, laws preventing investigation of finances...)

-Extremely low cost vs. extremely high value of produced products

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Re: "religious corporations"

"-Insane levels of income (No public figures available, but given their real-estate assets...)"

Well, as the CofE holds around the 12-14 BILLION GBP mark in stocks and shares, I think theirs will be considerably higher.

Still nothing like a multi-billion pound charity emotionally blackmailing people into giving more cash is there?

2. Snowy Silver badge

Why make it difficult.

It is not hard just cap the ad rating based on the rating of the video, assume not rated videos are suitable for all ages. So adult ads would only been seen for video that as been rated for adults.

Edit if the ad is unrated assume it is adult.

3. ratfox

What about YouTube?

I'm not sure why YouTube is not responsible for this. They do check that adult content is not viewable unless you are signed in and have indicated an age above 18. They could do the same for 15-rated horror movies… I guess there's no legal obligation on their part, though. Did Universal mislabel the video? Or did Universal somehow choose the ads for the context?

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

What measures did they take then? Mincemeat is kids game and Stampy in particular has done a lot to tailor his videos to a younger audience. I don't know whether this was careless or cynical, but it's clear that no reasonable measures were taken to stop this being seen by kids. They should have been punished for making such stupid claims.

5. harmjschoonhoven
    Paris Hilton

Also,

the ASA considered that the nonviolent and gender-neutral character of the Minecraft videos make them perfect entertainment for 8 year olds.

Paris, because she was distressed when she heared Santa Claus does not exist.

6. Test Man

It's not hard. They should have just served up children's ads regardless of signed-in status full stop. No need to segment. Considering it was content "suitable for all" they should have simply erred on the side of caution.

7. Martin Summers Silver badge

Still Happening

My kids watching Stampylongnose videos today have been presented with a trailer for "Woman in black angel of death" which is just great. That's with family safe settings switched on on the Xbox YouTube app.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still Happening

If the trailer does not have a BBFC 'U' rating then you have grounds to complain.

The guidelines clearly state that any trailers must have an equal or lower classification than that of the main feature.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google generated news

Google have stated that they want to target the kids more

Guess they'll use this as an argument.

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Same problem at the Cinema

We've seen the same thing at the Cinemas in the US - you got to a kids film and they run trailers for upcoming movies that are not age appropriate. Sure, the ratings agency may think the trailer is "safe" but it can still scare the crap out of a kid.

Case in point - went to see "The Last Mimzy" with my daughter and she had nightmares for a month after the trailer for "Taken" - where a girl her age is kidnapped by human traffickers - was shown. It was several years before she returned to the movie theaters.

In my opinion the ratings people are owned by the movie companies and their ratings are essentially worthless.

1. Swarthy

Re: Same problem at the Cinema

In the US, the Ratings People are the MPAA. They are the movie people.

10. Katie Saucey
    FAIL

Some people really believe this

"..all reasonable measures to ensure the ad had been targeted at viewers who were 18 years old or above"

But yet it was still posted online. Add this to the fat book of 'why Hollywood is woefully out of touch with reality' facts, or "Hollywood doesn't give two shits" facts, I bet they still think 8 year olds never stay up past 9:00pm as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Some people really believe this

And this "kid" was only looking at minecraft because his parents were still up and he was waiting to log in to WOW or COD Black Ops

poor boy

11. JaitcH
    WTF?

YouTube.COM is a ...

US domain that plays by US rules.

EUROland complains about the US meddling in things such as MS servers in Ireland ... they should understand this works both ways.

My web sites carry stuff that deliberately challenges UK laws - but do I care? No, I obey the laws of the land where the domains are registered and the servers are located.

The Advertising Standards Authority is manned by a bunch of ageing retards who live in the 1950's - BANNED IN BRITAIN is their rallying call. Time that community standards ruled, not old fuddy-duddies who think missionary is the ONLY way.

They are the types that censored Bloody January, Again by Flanders and Swann.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YouTube.COM is a ...

Hows Decree 72 working out for you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon