back to article Euro iTunes customers get 14 DAY refund option

Apple iTunes customers in the European Union have received a small gift from the fruity firm this holiday season - a new policy that allows up to 14 days for users to cancel their purchases. The company has issued the new policy for customers in the 28-member-state bloc. The change, not announced by Apple, was spotted by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChrisB 2
    Trollface

The Library of Apple?

Whilst welcome, I can see an issue with this if it applies to the iBook Store - those people who are, shall we say, less than scrupulous, now have access to a pretty impressive and free lending library. I can read quite quickly and could easily read any book within 14 days. Except Stella Rimmington's "novel" - I wish I had been able to return that for a refund!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Library of Apple?

While I think you're right about the potential for abuse, back in the real world the scale of exploitation is going to be very low.

The unscrupulous probably already download their ebooks for free, and the scrupulous with a little research will already have found the legal free lending libraries (e.g. my local council already runs an ebook lending service based on Overdrive).

Of course, nobody ever backs up their files, do they, so Apple deleting them is really going to stop the unscrupulous, isn't it...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That'd only work up to the point where- after several returns in a row for no obvious good reason- Apple thanks the customer for their past custom but politely informs them that they're no longer willing to accept any future business from them.

3. Annihilator

"now have access to a pretty impressive and free lending library"

Much like I've got today already? Not to mention I could already abuse amazon in similar ways with physical books.

https://www.gov.uk/local-library-services

You could also abuse it by re-encoding music that comes from iTunes now, given it's all unlocked these days, but I doubt the majority of people will bother.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple might want to publicise this a bit more

Since, according to the referenced directive (2011/83/EC):

« When a seller hasn’t clearly informed the customer about the withdrawal right, the return period will be extended to a year. »

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: Apple might want to publicise this a bit more

But they have - it's there in grey and white in the Ts&Cs. Never mind if it's the online equivalent of being in a locked filing cabinet, in a disused lavatory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Also never mind if the Ts&Cs are so long and tediously legalese that no-one can stay awake long enough to read them.

1. DavCrav

Re: Apple might want to publicise this a bit more

"But they have - it's there in grey and white in the Ts&Cs. Never mind if it's the online equivalent of being in a locked filing cabinet, in a disused lavatory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Also never mind if the Ts&Cs are so long and tediously legalese that no-one can stay awake long enough to read them."

That's the "clearly" part of "clearly informed". That sort of shit doesn't fly any more.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Apple finally and grudgingly complies with Eu Law

News at 10.

4. Buzzword

Free movie rental!

What's stopping me from "buying" a film on iTunes, watching it a few times, then taking it back to the shop for a refund?

1. RISC OS

Re: Free movie rental!

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... 14 days is a longtime to copy an mp3 or soemthing. I can't see how this will work. Everybody will be returning everything!

2. Sensi

Read the new terms linked in the article...

"Exception to the right of cancellation: You cannot cancel your order for the supply of digital content if the delivery has started upon your request and acknowledgement that you thereby lose your cancellation right."

So if you use/listen/stream/download your digital content you probably won't be able to return it.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

With that wording, it seems that every time you buy a song it won't just start downloading, but there will be an alert box like "Download now: If you press the "Download" button, the song will download immediately and you will lose your right to cancel your order within 14 days. "

Depends how people abuse this thing.

1. RISC OS

Yeah, but I can't cancel anything that isn't ordered... so I can't see how they are giving people a right to cancel as in order to buy you have to agree not to cancel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> What's stopping me from "buying" a film

If you had read the previous comments before posting, you would know.

5. Sensi

Applying the law is not making you a "gift", the "gift" if any was made by those voting the law there the European parliament...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> the "gift" if any was made by those voting the law there the European parliament...

This directive passed with a majority of 600-something against 16 or so. I wonder who were the sad bastards¹ who voted against it?

¹ Or not. Maybe they had good reason to oppose it. I still wonder who they were though.

6. Lee D Silver badge

"Apple finally (and belatedly) complies with law" is a news story now?

1. Vince Lewis 1

Yes, in the same way killer bought to justice is news

Now if only valve will comply with EU law my children will be able to play my games

7. Alan Denman

Silent recalls, silent upgrades

Figures in the wacky begrudging way of doing that 14 day cancellation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like