back to article The Shock of the New: The Register redesign update 4

Readers, thanks for all the feedback. Here's a list of tweaks we rolled out today. Changed screen outside site background colour from white to grey. Top Art in stories - now editorially selectable - in response to feedback about relevance (see above). Reduced headline font size on Hero “story” at top of front page, articles …

Page:

1. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Thumb Up

Footer link

Thank you for that, that makes things much more usable. The other changes are welcome, but that's the one that tips me into the pro camp. Some of the aesthetics aren't what I'd choose - it still looks rather glaring - but hey, I'll wear shades.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
      Joke

Conspiracy theory for the weekend

"it still looks rather glaring - but hey, I'll wear shades."

Is it a coincidence that this week my spam folder has been full of adverts for dodgy Raybans or has some tracking site decided that I now need them to read El Reg?

1. Scroticus Canis

Re: Conspiracy theory for the weekend - Dodgy RayBans (off topic reply)

Remember the day RayBans used to come with a UV filtering certificate? They don't any more so won't help much with the new dazzling Reg layout.

They're all dodgy since B&L sold the brand-name to an Italian fashion house manufacturer who now make all the bling-name sunglasses. Have tried them and they just aren't optically correct any more.

2. Jim Hague
    Thumb Up

2.5 cheers!

Thank you, thank you. These changes - especially the grey sidebars - much appreciated.

Remaining on my list for Santa - shrink the front page image so I can see more story headlines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2.5 cheers!

I'd prefer the grey even darker - mid/gunmetal grey please.

1. Steven Raith

Re: 2.5 cheers!

I think anything darker would be a bit severe, but ta for the light grey - that makes it less harsh on the eyes.

I'm pretty cool with it all now :-)

Steven R

3. Joseph Eoff
    Meh

Progress

Well, I can remove my userContent.css file.

Thank you for fixing the links.

4. Shadow Systems

Still no Print link?

A Control+F to Find "Print" returns no results on this page. Does that mean you'll not be bothering to comply with the DDA as far as Accessibility is concerned either?

1. Swarthy

Re: Still no Print link?

If you can type Ctrl+F, can you type Ctrl+P? then there is no need to find a Print link.

1. matchbx
        Thumb Down

kindly explain to me how to print a 5 page article without clicking and printing each page one at a time.

2. Joseph Eoff

Actually, there is a need for the print link.

The print link isn't just to print the page. It also shows multi-page articles condensed into one page.

Handy for lots of things besides printing - like reading an article without having to flip pages and wait for the next to load and render with all the !§$$§"$%$& pictures.

You can add /print.html to the end of any article address to get the print page, so the support is still there. All that needs to be done is to replace the idiotic "social media" button with a button that does something useful.

1. matchbx
          Thumb Up

Thank you very much, I was not aware of that tidbit.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Actually, there is a need for the print link.

Agreed but the stylesheets for printing can still be improved to strip the sidebar and the navigation.

3. gloucester

@Joseph Eoff: have an up-vote.

Putting: Print/ in the URL before the 2014 (or 2015 as soon to be) also seems to do the trick FWIW.

E.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2014/12/19/the_register_redesign_update_4/

3. Shadow Systems

@Swarthy re the Print link.

For those of us whom are Totally Blind & using a Screen Reader Environment (SRE), the page that results from clicking the Print link is Accessible as far as the DDA is concerned. The SRE can read it without puking, and since all the images (which I can't see anyway) and back end code only has to be loaded once, the SRE can actually do it's job. Merely telling my computer to print the page does nothing to render the page Accessible, and since I don't have a printer, all a Control+P does is throw up an error box to install a printer first.

(What good is a printer to a blind person? We can't tell if it printed anything, can't see if the ink is going bad, and for all we know the printer is spitting out blank pages as it silently laughs at us. Printers are for folks whom can see to verify that anything got printed at all. And even if it DOES print, what am I supposed to do with it now? I can't see it to READ it either.)

So I'll UpVote you for being silly, but also make this reply to point out that there was a valid legal & technical reason for the return of the Print link. Cheers!

1. keithpeter Silver badge
          Windows

Re: @Swarthy re the Print link.

"What good is a printer to a blind person? We can't tell if it printed anything, can't see if the ink is going bad, and for all we know the printer is spitting out blank pages as it silently laughs at us."

I hope you are successful in getting The Register to restore the Print page link.

Does your screen reader recognise the 'skip to content' link at the top of each page? That link is set so as to be invisible to those using a visual brower by using a style sheet property, but is supposed to be recognised by screen readers and text-only browsers.

PS: I teach in a College in the UK. About 15 years ago I had a blind Braille reading student show up on a course. I was able to access a braille printer and a tactile image printer for providing him with lesson notes at a (very) local University. I changed the set textbook that year to one that the RNIB had available in Braille. It worked for him... perhaps try a local University should you want hard copy to refer to generally?

2. Swarthy

Re: @Swarthy re the Print link.

I did not know that their print page was that robust. In which case I will update my previous feelings of "Meh" regarding the print button, to "Seriously Reg, you took out Accessability function? That's a worse idea than the all-white background was!"

5. ld0614

Update 3

Is it just me or is update 3 missing? What happened to it?

While the site change was a bit of a shock kudos for the way your listening, I'm definitely coming around to it now

1. adrianww

Re: Update 3

Not just you - I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they don't like us and have only shown update 3 to the El Reg Illuminati. (The El-luminati?)

2. T. F. M. Reader

I was wondering the same thing, too. Some guesses:

* El Reg only operates in powers of 2...

* Like Microsoft's OS versions, every other one is so awful that it should better remain unmentioned...

* Like Intel's tick-tock, a bona fide update consists of two steps, of which the first one is merely shrinking of the headline font...

* They were going to Interview Update 3 designers and then they were planning to assassinate them, but North Korea objected...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have nothing to say about update 3... OK, OK I was confused.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Did you not get the singing cuddly vulture delivered by UPS yesterday? It explains the corporate rationale for the redesign, sings we wish you a Merry Christmas, and then updates you on version 3.

I thought everyone had got it.

6. ehoffman

Thanks!

The visited links color makes my day! Thanks to have put that back to high contrast. It was difficult to see the difference on a LCD screen (who still own a CRT anyway?) for someone with normal vision. Imagine for someone with even a slight level of vision impairment like daltonism (color blindness) or with lower contrast sensitivity.

Regards

1. Chris Miller

Re: Thanks!

Concur. Though in Chrome links from 'The Channel' don't show as visited (the same problem existed on the 'old' web site) - works in IE, I imagine it's something to do with the different web site (channelregister.co.uk).

7. Jeroen Braamhaar

THANK YOU SO MUCH for changing the color of the 'read' links to red from the "did I read that or did I not" off-blackish grey from before!

Keep up the good work !!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you.

Much better, thank you for the changes.

I've still yet to see an integer value filling the white space to the right of the g+ icon in the social media links though.

Is that a bug or is nobody using g+? Rhetorical question, just my feeble attempt at humour...

9. Zog_but_not_the_first

Something familar here

There's something vaguely familiar about web pages with grey backgrounds, but I can't recall the details. So long ago...

Where's the spinning globe icon?

{Seriously - a great improvement. I've taken my shades off}

10. Alistair
    Pint

Noticed that stuffs --

Much lighter on the eyes with the outer border being grey - (see caveat below)

Nice to see the visited contrast -- I've relied on that in the past since I rarely note the headline -

Framing lines are better - but could still be darker - again - thats me.

I still like the idea of the subhead background being a slightly offset shade -- it will help with the overall "whiteness".

The font size change on the hero pic is good but personally I still find the image too large. I get that mucking it down much farther will play hell with the overall layup of top of column, but I really really really do think it can shrink a bit... perhaps stuffing the subhead for the top article into column 3 of the header in finer print???? dunno - but thats just a thought.

The banner -- the christmas one is *much* easier on the eyes. Please keep this in mind, that large swath of red was a bit much for me - please also consider .... something ... to break up that large block of red with nothing but the title to break it up - black trim on the lettering or the vulture? dunno - but its a mite too much on its own.

Forward progress is good progress -- please keep working on things.

Beer 'cause yer workin on the last friday before christmas, and you don't have a chocolate and candycane icon

11. Bloodbeastterror

Better

Grey sides less harsh on the eyes. Red read article links easy to see.

I may even bookmark you again...

1. Bloodbeastterror

Re: Better

But why the ridiculously oversized full-screen pictures at the top of every article? When I click a link I want to start reading, not have to page down first before I reach the text. It's a benefit to you as well in not wasting time looking for vaguely-relevant images, so you can concentrate on the writing.

Come on, people, put a bit more thought into usability instead of pointless glitz...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it might be more manageable to give us your feedback directly via this article

but in the true spirit of commentardness, we shall continue to populate the feedback section of the other article, thankyouverymuch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it might be more manageable to give us your feedback directly via this article

No we won't! (Just arguing for the sake of it...).

:)

13. bill 36

It's much better

One more tweak?

How about NOT black writing on white or grey for the headlines?

Red or dare i say it BBC blue?

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the beer!

14. eddystone82

Back to the future?

Seems to me that most of the changes are slowly taking it back to how it was before?

1. Bloodbeastterror

Re: Back to the future?

I certainly hope so. But humble pie tastes really bad, you know? So I'm not holding my breath...

15. Salts

Much Easier on the Eyes

Also like the link at the bottom being back, it is a commentard friendly feature:-)

Thank you

16. matchbx
    Facepalm

either do one of two things.... stop posting articles with multiple pages or bring back the print button.

17. Doctor Evil

Better!

Definitely an improvement!

Now restore the Print icon and lose the clip art site decoration and you've nailed it.

18. timcroydon

Whitespace above masthead

Much prefer the grey sidebars, although could possibly use a smidge of El Reg red so it's not pure monochrome? Say #eeeaea?

There's a white bar between the #topbar and the masthead that could be removed to save a few pixels (remove margin + border.bottom?)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much appreciated, thanks.

20. Len Goddard

Three steps back, two steps forward.

Well, it is an improvement. Having the read links red is a sensible move. They grey sidebars are less obnoxious but I would still prefer they were used for something useful. If I maximise the web browser when displaying the register I end up with a 2x3 application window inside of a 16x10 screen. Not a sensible use of real estate.

Keep going, another couple of weeks and you may be back to something almost as good as what you started with. Meanwhile I'll stay with www.thregister.co.uk/Week because I still can't stand the homepage layout.

21. Bill M

Any chance of a daily BOFH ?

1. Alistair

@Bill M

I think everyone here wishes for that.

But, I suppose allowing him the time to refine his work to its usual biting and poignant result is more than worth the wait.

22. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

Thank you++

The site is much more usable and nicer to the eyes now. Tops!

23. frank ly

The masthead is depressing

I don't like Christmas. I'm patient; I'll wait.

24. lawndart

says:

We're getting there.

The giant picture and vast font of the headliner is still a pain if you are looking for new stories from your Opera Speed Dial or other browser equivalent, because the headline story is all you get.

The way the headlines are done in each of the categories is much better. Yes, it is pretty much how it was before, but that worked.

Probably very much a long shot, but since we have to log in to comment, would it be possible to include some settings in the user profile so we can select how The Register looks for ourselves?

This would also give you feedback.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: says:

Try using the RSS feeds. No need to visit main site to look for new articles.

Works for me anyway :-)

25. web_bod
    Thumb Up

Better

That looks a lot better - the grey border is a lot easier on the eye and the visited link colour makes the site a lot easier to use - thanks!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can't polish a turd!

But you can roll it in glitter...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

*ahem*

You can, apparently.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon