back to article Nork-ribbing flick The Interview AXED: Sony caves under hack terror 'menace'

Sony Pictures has confirmed the inevitable and cancelled the December 25 launch of The Interview after most major theater chains refused to run it. "The ability of our guests to enjoy the entertainment they choose in safety and comfort is and will continue to be a priority for theater owners," said the National Association of …

Page:

1. Ole Juul

"All eyes are now on the hacker's next move."

"The ability of our guests to enjoy the entertainment they choose in safety and comfort is and will continue to be a priority for theater owners,"

Without the Sony launch, I guess that's taken care of then. I have a feeling (and sincerely hope) that the terrorist angle is just posturing, but I'll be watching the hackers for their next move as my personal choice of entertainment. (Sorry Sony, no royalties there.)

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Thank God for the NSA's Internet surveillance program

Obviously, the NSA's tracking everything that moves over the Internet, in order to prevent terrorism (cyber included), certainly did a lot to thwart that hacking & data theft at Sony, the world's largest cyber terrorism attack if the claims that as much as 100TB was stolen are true.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank God for the NSA's Internet surveillance program

I bet that 100TB just showed up as duplicate data.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Obviously, the NSA's tracking everything that moves over the Internet, in order to prevent terrorism (cyber included), certainly did a lot to thwart that hacking & data theft at Sony, the world's largest cyber terrorism attack if the claims that as much as 100TB was stolen are true. ....The Man Who Fell To Earth

There would be a school of thought thinking of the possibility that the NSA are involved and experimenting in very deep and dark web waters of novel non-determinate consequences in a virtual strike against the airing of the notion that select political leader assassinations are a valid solution to global problems and austerity measures for the introduction and infusion of chaos into CHAOS for madness and mayhem .... for such leaders are the core drivers and architects of everyone's woes in such circumstances, are they not?

Indeed, is that not the default Western Five Eyes Way with remote killer drone target practice trying to take over Command and Control of foreign minds and alien assets in other time zones? It is though a real dumb program which unleashes countless crazy lone wolverine packs getting smarter information and more effective intelligence every day with orders and passions to server the gander as the goose. ....... for what you give, is what you get. Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am. And is that not perfectly fair and reasonable and fully to be expected and welcomed?

IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly accept it so and allow earnest arrogant fools to be the useless blunt ignorant tools that you perceive to lead and provide future guidance with chaos into CHAOS ..... Cloud Hosting Advanced Operating Systems. Are you crazy mad too and lacking SMARTR CyberIntelAIgent Service and Servers?

You do know there is always an App with Gateways which Mature and Cure for that? Yes?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly accept it so and allow earnest arrogant fools to be the useless blunt ignorant tools that you perceive to lead and provide future guidance with chaos into CHAOS"

But isn't that just *society* as a whole? There is an argument that societies are just mass delusions that people buy into to live in a certain manner with a certain amount of prediction.

Pratchett was incredibly accurate. We choose not to see.

2. Don Dumb
          Go

amanfromMars1

@amanfromMars1 - You're back, I for one have missed your incomprehensible (to me) ramblings. Glad to see you posting again.

3. Jim 59

@amanfrommars1 - thank you for that crisp summary, you mad bot.

@the bot wrangler - come on man, it was better before. 1 sentence per paragraph ? It sounds like Russel Brand now.

1. Hero Protagonist

But one @amanfrommars sentence has the strength of 10 human sentences.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Good heavens, you were nearly intelligible there for a bit! Well done that box of bits!

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wow.

What have you been drinking and can I have some?

Did I just drop into some alternative universe where paragraphs become sentences and we're all paranoid fools... Oh wait.

6. Mark 85

IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly

Points for that reference. Now to go watch it again.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ The Man who Fell to Earth

Probably another reason why cybersecurity should be moved out from under the NSA. They spend too much time figuring out how to hack everyone else, vs. protecting U.S. IT networks.

Unfortunately, we will probably now see other hacker collectives/state-sponsored hackers trying to stifle free speech and thought, now that The Interview has been forced out of the theaters.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Devil

Unfortunately, we will probably now see other hacker collectives/state-sponsored hackers trying to stifle free speech and thought, now that The Interview has been forced out of the theaters.

I expect as much once the sequel to Erin Brockovich is slated for release.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

*snerk*

Upvoted.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: "All eyes are now on the hacker's next move."

The only way to stand up to a bully is hit him as hard as you can in the mush. You might get some bruises, but keep it up and he'll go away eventually.

Caving to these morons will only make things worse over time and the stolen info will be released.

Grow a pair Sony. You might have made a few Bob releasing after all the free publicity. Now? Doubt it.

1. Charles 9

"The only way to stand up to a bully is hit him as hard as you can in the mush. You might get some bruises, but keep it up and he'll go away eventually."

Except when it backfires, he and his gang beat you into the hospital and rear-door you while they're at it and then escape prosecution because the leader's dad is the mayor and they know secrets that can topple several members of city council.

2. Cynic_999

So, would you send your wife & kids to see the film at a high-profile cinema knowing that the threat has been made?

3. swschrad

nah, all eyes are on Sony's next move

they DO have one. the most likely, considering one of the papers dislodged by the Nut Koreans referred to a MafIAA plan to freak the DNS servers as a piracy retort, would be to seed The Interview direct to torrents.

the Nut Koreans, wild and kicking out walls, would then wage war on the torrents.

so Sony wins in the end in their phantom war against the wrong guys, and the MafIAA would let them back in the club for liquid lunches.

2. InfiniteApathy

Very disappointed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In who?

Yourself for being a pawn in the terrorists Sony hating game?

Man up, see that YOU (and the media) have all been played for fools. Sony is no different to any other corporate, this could just as easilly been ANY large US corporate.

All this has done has shown how embarrassingly naieve and manipulatable most Americans are.

3. Thorne

If I was Sony I'd release it free to download. If they think they can keep people from seeing it with threats, a world wide release free stops them dead in their tracks and has the opposite effect they were hoping to get.

1. P. Lee
      Joke

>If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Didn't they already do that?

Sorry, I know its old already.

1. IglooDude

Re: >If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Yeah, but they embedded DRM in it and so no one would touch it.

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II

Much capitulation, such disappointment

I am disappointed that theaters would fold and not show it. I am more disappointed that Sony are folding. Indeed, the cyber-terrorists have won and this sets a dangerous precedent.

What happened to my America where we would thumb our noses at such threats and go forth in full force just to spite the bastards? What would our countrymen on flight 93 say, who stood up and saved so many with their own sacrifice? How disappointed my grandfathers would be, who collectively fought in every war since the Revolution. What happened to our balls?

Anyway, initially, I was not going to see this movie but I decided that if Sony and my local theater would stand up for Right I would plonk down my $8.25 plus snacks to partake.

Well, if Sony is going to lose money by not showing it, maybe it will release to torrent.

1. Salts

Re: Much capitulation, such disappointment

If I was to make a guess, this is not Sony or the Theaters, it will be the insurance companies, they don't care about the threat as such, just the loss and they will have pulled all insurance, making it impossible for a business to show the movie :-(

1. swschrad

Sony could lease a theater and show the darn thing

take on all responsiblity, etc.

or it could be shown at National Guard armories.

considering it got mixed reviews at best in the California premiere, I'm betting they use the movie to sacrifice the torrents to the wildmen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While I agree with your overall sentiment, and think what the Flight 93 people did was heroic, they didn't risk their lives doing so. They acted because they knew they were going to die anyway, so they felt they had nothing to lose at that point.

Seems the majority of Americans are happy to hide in their houses if they're warned against sticking their noses outside. The Americans of a hundred years ago would have nearly to a one stuck their noses outside to thumb it at those making threats, and not let anyone tell them where they can go or what they can do. Guess our borders have been too safe for too long.

Don't remember who wrote it (probably Heinlein or Asimov) but I remember long ago reading a book about a future world where mankind had basically cured all disease, including old age, so the only way you could die was an accident or murder. The people became completely isolated from one another, since everyone was afraid of taking even the slightest risk of an accident and didn't want to take the risk of being around another person, since they might have harm done to them. Those sci-fi greats could be really on the mark sometimes...

1. James Micallef Silver badge

+1 DougS

That was Asimov's Spacers, who also had tons of robots to do everything for them. Live for 400-odd extremely boring years

1. mike2R

@Salts If that was true, surely the theatres could have appealed to the government. Or gone public with the reason and tried to shame the insurers into changing the decision.

I don't want to American-bash here - I'm not entirely sure that Britain is any better - but especially coming on top of the farcical panic over Ebola, it is creating the impression that modern America is pretty gutless. Not perhaps the best image for a superpower.

1. g e

Except their policies probably have clauses saying you will not defame or otherwise impune the good character of the insurer.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
                Headmaster

or otherwise impune

It's "impugn". A bit of an oddball spelling and one of only a few words with "ugn" in it. My /usr/share/dict/words also lists "pugnacious", "repugnant" and "smugness", along with variants.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Oninoshiko
        Joke

Look at the bright side, we now know if we don't like a film we just need to make threats against theaters to shut it down.

In unrelated news they are doing another bad Star Wars film.

3. Andy Gates

See, I'd agree with that, but Sony? It'll be a cold day in Pyongyang before they release something free when they could monetize it. It's not so much "free speech" as "valuable product", y'see.

I'd love to watch the exec's faces when some intern suggests that they put it up for torrent. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It also angers GOP, and means a prolonged campaign against Sony, which is really good if you are a buthurt Xbox fanboy, the press, or some other braindead Sony hating pawn.

1. swschrad

we can make more Sony haters right now...

(whispers) ROOT... KIT... (glass globe rolls down stairs and breaks)

5. harmjschoonhoven
      Unhappy

>If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Indeed. Sony gets old and has forgotten their Judo lessons.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One reason why Sony has lost it's bottle, Japan is in range of the Fat Dictators rockets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F*ck the terrorists.

I'd watch it just as a gesture, whether it was good or bad.

1. Mark 85

I'd go only if were good. Why reward Sony out of defiance with profit for a bad film.

1. Thorne
        Pirate

"I'd go only if were good. Why reward Sony out of defiance with profit for a bad film."

How about we pirate it and f#$k Sony and the terrorist at the same time?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> How about we pirate it and f#$k Sony and the terrorist at the same time?

I like your thinking.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Pirate

Torrents are available

I for one will be downloading and reseeding as many as I can find, just for the hell of it. Probably won't watch it, mind you, it sounds like shite.

GJC

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Torrents are available

Interestingly, I've yet find a genuine torrent. Looks like the malware-mongers are having a field day with this one.

GJC

3. Mark 85

So why pirate a bad movie? I, personally, have better things to do that fiddle with bad movies. Well, there are exceptions such as a certain Ed Wood space movie that Bela Lugosi got top billing for even though he was dead when most of the film was made.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
            Go

Why?

Just to make a point that thugs and threats cannot win the day. It's a little thing, but if we all did little things from time to time, perhaps the world would be a better place.

I am not in any way claiming that this action will make the world a better place, mind you. Just a bit of passing whimsy on my part.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err... You are pointing your sexual desires in the wrong direction

I think you should be more interested in insurers.

3. druck Silver badge
      Mushroom

And lets have a re-release of Team America too.

5. kainp121

Stinker

Is the film that bad ? It looks like they are looking for an excuse not release it.

1. Sooty

Re: Stinker

It's possible it's a clever marketing ploy, and now the Barbera Streisand effect will mean that loads of people will get it on DVD just to see what all the fuss was about.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like