nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Judge bars dead Steve Jobs from appearing on TV news FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE

Silver badge
Holmes

Hooray for common sense

The press has already got the transcript. They don't care about what is in the video, they just want to create a click frenzy / jump in viewers, because they have a "never before seen" video of a dead personality.

RIP Steve.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Nothing So Rare As Common Sense

The guy is dead, of a particularly nasty condition. You might not have agreed with his (highly successful) business practices, you might not have liked his personality and dress sense.

Nothing, short of killing, raping and maiming should ever justify not allowing someone peace.

Disgusting, vile individual. I hope nothing similar to what afflicted Jobs affects someone close to you or even yourself.

Obligatory comment to point out that I own an archaeic i-device, and despise their business practices and current crop of devices. Doesn't make them any less successful, mind you.

The guy is dead, of a particularly nasty condition. You might not have agreed with his (highly successful) business practices, you might not have liked his personality and dress sense.

^^^^ This.

I have an old iPod Nano that Apple replaced years after I stopped using it due to short battery life, for a little iPod Shuffle. That's all I have ever bought from Apple, so it's not like I'm a fanboi.

Jobs may or may not have been an asshat to work for: It's a free country so anyone not liking working for him could simply leave and join someone elses company, or start their own. He was certainly a very talented and driven individual, and I think any impartial weighing of his life would have to indicate that his contribution to the world was significantly positive.

Those wishing to malign the dead should perhaps first consider their own legacy?

Silver badge

The judge said quite clearly that if Steve Jobs had been alive and had testified in court right now, no cameras would have been allowed in the court room, so no video of his testimony could have been shown.

So please explain to me why you think that the fact that he was too ill when that testimony was taken to appear in court and therefore a video had to be taken should give the press a right that they wouldn't have had if he had been healthy? You are seriously saying that where the testimony of a healthy person cannot be shown, the testimony of a man with a life terminating illness can?

I'd say your attitude is absolutely vile and despicable, and you should have a good look at yourself.

Anonymous Coward

Mussolini got the trains running on time, Hitler got a lot of people into work, (OK it was forced work but it was work) these actions do not make me like either one. Accounts of Jobs suggest he was less than wonderful to his family, he qualifies for odium.

Mussolini got the trains running on time, Hitler got a lot of people into work

Seriously? You're going to Godwin the thread trying to compare Jobs to Hitler?

I may have this wrong, because reading his biography doesn't interest me (I've seen far too many hopeless managers flounder around trying to emulate his style), but as far as I am aware, Steve Jobs didn't kill anyone?

Jobs ability to see what was wrong with other peoples products and redesign them without the flaws, into a much slicker package, was pretty much unsurpassed in our time. Products, not just Apple products, are better for his having been.

Accounts of Jobs suggest he was less than wonderful to his family

Few of us are saints. If they forgave him, and stuck by him, then it's nobody elses business.

Thumb Down

Mussolini got one train to run on time, as a one off - that's not that impressive,

By all accounts, he was a very naughty boy (tm) otherwise. While Jobs might have been a not very nice person, it's just disgusting to draw parallels between the business practices of a fairly cynical and exploitative company and a Fascist responsible for the deaths of real people.

I'm not even going to touch the Hitler reference.

Hand in your keyboard at the door, you're clearly unfit to possess it due to being a colossal asshat.

Silver badge

Whatever was the Old Dodderer thinking ...... ?

The Law is an ass and here is some fresh evidence for support of that fact which is surely disturbing and a perversion of the course of justice ........ http://rt.com/uk/215595-g4s-impunity-manslaughter-mubengo/

And I do not remember it being widely reported in mainstream news outlets here in Blighty. :-) Is that tantamount to collusion and a dereliction of investigative journalistic duty?

Decomposition

"Apple icon's deposition won't be given to the public"

I read that as Apple icon's decomposition won't be given to the public.

A jury decides standing???

In every case I've read about in several decades of paying attention, the question of standing is one of law, to be decided by a judge, and appealed if someone doesn't like the answer.

Jurors are deciders of fact, not of how the law applies.*

----------------

* With the notable exception that if a jury decides the law is draconian, or misapplied, they can refuse to convict and there's an end on't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing