back to article Blast-off! Boat free launch at last. Orion heads for space

NASA’s Mars-hopeful spacecraft Orion has successfully blasted off from Cape Canaveral on its first test flight, launching on time at 12.05pm GMT. Orion successfully launches on first test flight The agency’s first step towards reviving its manned space exploration programme went off without a hitch today, after a number of …

Page:

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

Shortly after takeoff

the cabin crew will pass amongst you with snacks and drinks.

1. Christoph

Re: Shortly after takeoff

But they're still waiting for the small lemon-soaked paper napkins

1. bazza Silver badge
        Happy

"But they're still waiting for the small lemon-soaked paper napkins"

So whilst we're on that topic, just why was this particular universe created?!

1. AbelSoul

Don't forget your (hot) towel.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"But they're still waiting for the small lemon-soaked paper napkins"

They serve KFC on their flights? Now THAT is proper in flight catering!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typo

That's 'on cue' not 'on queue'. And Fahrenheit? Are you seriously telling me that NASA still works in Fahrenheit these days?!

That said, well done all involved with the launch! Whilst my money's on SpaceX, it's still good to have options for putting things oop thar...

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Fahrenheit?

'fraid so, yes. Also feet and inches, except for Mars orbit insertions which are measured in London Double-decker buses.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: Fahrenheit?

So what's the official Register unit for temperature? The Hilton (1H = 37C) ?

2. D@v3
      Pint

Re: Fahrenheit

Apparently, they still work in miles so it's not all that surprising that they don't mix their measurement systems.

Anyway, to hell with that. Congratulations on a successful launch

1. PurpleMoneky
        Pint

Speaking of measurements, their pint only contains 16 fluid ounces instead of 20.

That's 5 American gallons to 4 Imperial - need to be careful when converting to liters for fuel!

1. TheRealRoland

>liters for fuel!

Litres... Litres...

2. Captain Hogwash

Re: their pint only contains 16 fluid ounces

I guess that explains why a barman in Oakland responded to my request for a pint of Newcastle Brown (only place I ever saw it on draught) by asking if I'd like a large or a small pint. It seemed rather odd at the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ha Ha. Years ago, being a dev. on a Quake2 game I was in IRC when a 'Murrican came in complaining some code he had done didn't work. I said don't use UPPERCASE - the function is case sensitive. His reply was "so I use small uppercase?".

Heh

2. kleinman

As I heard it, the american pint is actually the "wine" pint, or 1/8 of the old "wine gallon" which was a measurement used a few centuries ago. As the british standardized the pint after the revolution it makes sense that the US would stick with the older version.

1. Irony Deficient

kleinman, yes, the US gallon is really Queen Anne’s wine gallon, which was established in England and its possessions in 1707 (Scotland had its own system of measurements) and was replaced by the Imperial system there in the 1820s.

3. Irony Deficient

PurpleMoneky, the US fluid ounce is slightly larger than the Imperial fluid ounce, so a closer rule of thumb would be six US gallons to five Imperial gallons.

4. Frankee Llonnygog

Missed an opportunity to measure fuel in hogsheads (and consumption in hogsheads per league)

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Or rods to the bushel, as Abraham Simpson used to.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't mix measurement systems? I thought one of their Mars probe failures was down to one team interpreting "m" as miles and another as metres leading to descent boosters being fired at the wrong time.

1. AIBailey

"I thought one of their Mars probe failures was down to one team interpreting "m" as miles and another as metres leading to descent boosters being fired at the wrong time."

Are you sure you're not getting the Mars probe confused with Jimbo? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_and_the_Jet_Set

2. Tom 13
          Devil

Re: Don't mix measurement systems?

We don't. It was the bit we outsourced to you Europeans that got all frelled.

3. Johnr

Re: Typo

Are you seriously telling me that NASA still works in Fahrenheit these days?!

Welcome to the USA . The tea partly would never tolerate any of that sciency Celsius stuff . If Fahrenheit was good enough for my pappy and his pappy it's good enough for me. What are you some kind of commie ?

I can watch the launches from my back yard on a clear day (about 50km away) The best are the night launches because even at that distance it lights up the horizon like the sun coming up and you can follow the flame and see the boosters drop off with the naked eye.

1. GrumpyOldMan

The Americans don't have Europe to dictate what they can and can't do with their measurement systems. So they even use pounds and ounces. I still use feet and inches in preference - but at least we can still use miles. For now...

And anyway - I'm not the teensiest weeniest littlest bit jealous that you can see then from your back yard. No, really. Git!

1. Johnr

Well it's 68 Fahrenheit (16 C) now heading to 80 (26 C) . Jealous now ?

1. stuff and nonesense

Hey John,

you got your conversions wrong..

68 F .....

68 - 32 = 36

36 * (5/9) = 20C

80F

80-32=48

48 * (5/9) = 26.6C, 27 rounded correctly.

26C is 78.8F

The simple arithmetic..

C = (F-32)*0.55555556

F= (C/0.5555556)+32

1. TheRealRoland

yeah - rules of thumb I use when talking to peeps in Ye Olde Worlde are 16C = 61F; 20C = 68F; 25C = 77F; 38C = 100F

But then when it's cold - it's very simple. 0F = -18C, 12F = -11C, 32F = 0C - anything below 0F converts to 'why again did i decide to live here?'

2. Johnr

Hey John,

you got your conversions wrong..

Why thank you professor. That will teach me to take the readings off my stupid cell phone switching from F to C .

You nit with the pickiest

3. Vic

The simple arithmetic..

C = (F-32)*0.55555556

F= (C/0.5555556)+32

It's a lot simpler to use the reciprocal of that constant :-

F = (C*1.8) + 32

C = (F-32) / 1.8

Vic.

2. Dr Paul Taylor

I now have to translate from Fahrenheit phrasebook-style, so I happen to know that 68F=20C. I haven't got a clue what 40000F means, I just divide by 2. Negative F temps leave me completely flummoxed. Completely unsuitable for scientific or engineering use.

1. Irony Deficient

Dr Taylor, another handy °F-to-°C phrasebook-style scale translation is -40 °F = -40 °C. Combined with knowledge of the proportion of nine degrees Fahrenheit to five kelvin, deflummoxation is certainly within reach.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Canada doesn't have Europe telling us what we can't and can't do either. In fact, we usually have America trying to do that.

We still chose the metric system, like rational people.

2. Hud Dunlap
        FAIL

@Johnr Stupid slam on the Tea Party

The fight against metic has been going on since the seventies at least. Some money was spent on road signs in MPH and KMH. Huge reluctance to switch. The Union people ( absolutely not members of the Tea Party) are just as adamant against it. I was installing some equipment years ago and the Union Rigger asked me what height the feet needed to be set at. I said 50mm and he got his tools and left.

As a practical matter just think of the cost to change everything in the NASA data bases. It is just not cost effective. I am sure at some point it will have to be done but that is a long way off and it will be a huge and expensive project.

1. Johnr

Re: @Johnr Stupid slam on the Tea Party

Don't have your snark radar on today do we? Go pound sand . Regardless of how long 'mericans have been fighting metric , the Tea party and the Republicans are vehemently anti science ...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/most-anti-science-lawmakers-running-office

2. Frankee Llonnygog

I'm willing to bet that he agreed to be paid in metric US dollars

3. Tom 7

Only an idiot would do the conversion - or a simple piece of code. It shouldn't matter a toss which system you use - or both.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typo? No, they use Farhenheit

and other "english" measurements because we were not stupid enough to fall for your "metric" ruse. The take up of metric is a conspiracy foisted on the rest of the world to gain a competitive advantage by forcing US manufacturers to change all their tooling. This would have cost the US trillions, and had no other benefit besides "similarity" of units.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>This would have cost the US trillions

Wrong way round, it would generate trillions in new business.

1. pseudonymous blowhard

>>This would have cost the US trillions

>Wrong way round, it would generate trillions in new business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

2. PNGuinn
        Mushroom

Quite right. Its cost us a fortune here in Blighty too.

And the trouble is, to satisfy political correctness or whatever none of the kids at school get to learn anything about imperial units, let alone that a very substantial part of the world still uses them.

Including an awful lot of stuff here in the uk.

Still, working in tens is much easier. Or so I'm told. But don't tell the kids that. They still think they can add up (in tens) but usually can't. As for eights and sixteenths....

...RANT... splutter....

Anyways, you Merkins are heretics as well, with your mertic dollar. Years ago, when I was a lad, we had REAL money, pounds shillings and pence, but things like furniture, fridges and cars were sold in guineas. Used to confuse you lot no end.

1. Martin 47

You do know that the metric system has far more advantages than just counting in 10's don't you?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Great post - my first (and only dog) cost 21 guineas - and race horses today are still sold using them.

Reminds me of that old quiz thing in the '70s that had questions relating to old money that added up to a total... i.e. pluto, neptune and saturn = 3 farthings etc.

3. Irony Deficient

Re: Typo? No, they use Fahrenheit

PNGuinn, the reason we became monetarily heretical was because by the time the Treaty of Paris was signed, we had five different £sd systems in place among the states — as with regional measurement systems in many European countries, it was easier to adopt a new system than to reconcile all of the old ones. There were still $-to-£sd tables published into the 1850s, as people even then still tended to reckon in their state’s particular £sd system, and new states often adopted the system where their earliest anglophone colonists came from; Texas was the newest state that I’d seen with a $-to-£sd conversion rate (it followed the system of Virginia and New England).

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What about the farthings? How else would you buy candy and ale?

5. Vic
          Joke

As for eights and sixteenths....

A surprising number of teenagers are really quite good with eighths and sixteenths...

Vic.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

and other "english" measurements

Fahrenheit was German...

5. PNGuinn
      Coat

ok wiseguy.

So whats the temperature of a sheep in a vacuum then?

In el Reg units if you please.

1. VinceH
        Coat

What type of vacuum?

Upright? Bagless? Cyclone?

Does the brand matter? Hoover? Electrolux? Dyson?

Not enough detail!

1. PNGuinn
          FAIL

Those are NOT el REG units, are they???

2. Frankee Llonnygog

I always wondered why a certain brand of vacuum has a smiley face on the front ...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like