back to article Iranian CLEAVER hacks through airport security, Cisco boxen

An alleged Iranian hacking group whose existence is denied by the state is turning up the heat on its two-year global campaign to pop critical infrastructure systems, Cylance researchers say. The group was tied to Iran by the local infrastructure it was alleged to use in the attacks and appeared to have formed as a response to …

1. P. Lee

If you fight with force

You become like that which you fight

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you fight with force

How could you fight any other way? What a tool...I assume you have never served in any forces.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: If you fight with force

You can fight with diplomacy, logic, rationality and compassion. With the exception of the most extreme of extremists it usually works.

2. Mark 85

Really.. photos????

From the article: The report was stripped of attackers' personal information including any 'party photos' uploaded to Facebook.

The attackers are getting a bit bold there aren't they? This would seem to make a mockery of denials IF the photos and personal info are legitimate. But, it could all be misdirection.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

Interesting

For years now, the West (US in particular) has been portraying Iranians as technologically primitive and unsophisiticated. They might want to review that opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

I'm unconvinced by the blaming of Iran.

The complete lack of UK instances seems most unlikely, because as the former colonial power, as a serial meddler in the Middle East, and as the 51st state, the UK is invariably being insulted and attacked by the Iranians. Add to that the combination of technical expertise, accompanied by signposts that are supposed to point to Iran, and this looks like a run of the mill false flag activity to me. Considering that this was an infrastructure attack, was allegedly so clever, is nobody astounded that other than files (supposedly) stolen, no worthwhile damage was done? We're always being warned that our critical infrastructure is vulnerable, so why weren't cities gridlocked? Why wasn't the water network turned off? What didn't the lights go out?

4. frank ly

This is why ...

... my fridge and my central heating system will never be connected to the internet.

Why does an airport security gate need to be accessible from the internet anyway?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      FAIL

Re: This is why ...

Why does an airport security gate need to be accessible from the internet anyway?

To make it easier for admins to work from home... and for hackers to pwn them.

Icon not directed toward my fellow commentard ==>

2. Bloakey1

Re: This is why ...

Because it is the default gateway?

T'is bloody madness the things that are getting connected.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Isn't it wonderful ?

Even viruses and hacker groups have PR firms designing logos for them.

The world is truly a beautiful place.

6. GordonD

I'm also unimpressed by the lack of detail on who CyLance are, both here and on Ars. Both stories seem little more than an uncritical precise of CyLance's allegations.

We're supposed to believe that this white hat organisation can follow everything that these hackers are doing, including acquiring the source they use at their home base. I can see backtracking an individual intrusion is possible with cooperation from the targeted organisation, but to trace all these intrusions they would need either global network access or to have owned 'Cleaver's network.

Similarly, how can CyLance by manipulating DNS on third party networks unless they're pretty black themselves, or did all these hacked organisations around the world happen to pick the same obscure company to investigate these intrusions they didn't know about.

The only organisations I would suspect of being able to do this level of monitoring, are exactly the ones mostly likely to be doing a false flag operation with Iran as the target.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like