back to article Google Chrome on Windows 'completely unusable', gripe users

Google's Chrome browser promises "speed, simplicity and security", but for a significant number of Windows users you can strike "speed" from that list. A thread on Google’s Chrome forum titled: “Chrome has become completely unusable, in almost every imaginable way” has attracted over 375 posts since the problem was raised in …

Page:

1. Jonathan 27

How Widespread?

Hmm... I use a wide variety of computers and I haven't had any problems with Chrome recently. Maybe it only affects systems with really esoteric hardware or running unsupported versions of Windows like XP.

1. Slacker@work

Re: How Widespread?

I think it's very hit and miss.

Works PC = i5, Win 8.1, reasonable amount of RAM and Chrome works fine.

Home PC = i7, Win 8.1, shit-loads of RAM and Chrome is bloody awful

Maybe it's all those extra resources slowing it down?!

1. Jay108

Same here. Wonder if it's a caching issue with users with lots of RAM. Except running Windows 7.

Might remove a stick or two to see if the performance improves.

2. 142

MacBook pro - i7, OSX mavericks, shit-loads of RAM and Chrome is bloody awful recently

Memory leaks everywhere, page rendering bugs (have to resize the window occasionally to display a new page)

I wouldn't be the first time in comouting history that more resources have made a program run worse...

1. Decade
          Gimp

MacBook Pro - i5, OSX Yosemite, plenty of RAM.

I've taken to launching Chrome only rarely as needed. I find that Chrome makes the system less stable; for example, randomly, control panels that require password input would not unlock until I quit Chrome. Why does Chrome interfere with System Preferences? I don't know. It's frustrating. And playing video in Chrome runs both cores at 100%, draining the battery very quickly and making the UI very unresponsive.

On the other hand, right now, Chrome in fullscreen on a rotated screen on Mac does correct subpixel antialiasing. No other program does this. Chrome in desktop on the rotated screen also doesn't do correct subpixel antialiasing. WTH, Apple?

I've had bad experiences with Chrome on Windows, too. My favorite period was back in May, when Google Drive crashed Google Chrome. I had to use Chrome for Flash and Firefox for Google Drive. (I also no longer install Adobe's Flash Player separately. Flash sucks.)

2. sandman

Yep - just had the page rendering problem start to occur on the same setup - bloody, hindering awkward, We've had to put up a help notice on our eLearning courses telling the users to resize the page if they're using Chrome on a Mac.

3. Bloakey1

"I think it's very hit and miss."

<snip>

Try this;

Settings, Advanced, turn off hardware acceleration, then restart.

It helps but chrome is crap at the minute. I get far faster connections on Linux and on a Mac not running Chrome.

4. Captain Obvious

Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8.1, Fedora, Ubuntu - ALL crash since about version 35 and it is getting much worse. All my machines have at least 16 to 64 GB ram and NVIDIA 760 or higher cards.

It crashes when I try to grade on eCollege

It crashes on plenty of other websites

I suspect major coding changes under the hood are causing this. I am using the default 32 bit versions. I also see Chrome sucking up plenty of CPU and RAM as well. In the process of going back to Firefox. I do see them update all the time - now on version 39 and it takes forever to apply updates.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Pint

Maybe it's all those extra resources slowing it down?!

The Gühgle-Mycrosôwt theorem: WIth increasing resources, programs experience polynomial slowdown.

6. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I can say with about 75% certainty it's a problem with chrome's flash player. Right click on the "new tab" button and select "task manager' in chrome. You'll see what tabs are eating the CPU. In every case where Chrome turned to crap for me, it's been tabs with flash. Even though I have flashblock on, the fact that there's a flash element somewhere in the source makes those tabs go nuts.

But it's not consistent. It can go days without a problem. Then one day, I take the notebook out of sleep mode, and *bam*, problem's there. Exit Chrome, restart, let all the tabs reload, and 50/50 the problem will recurr. Reboot the system, restart Chrome, problem's gone again for a few days.

But always, it is the flash tabs that start this chain.

2. zebthecat

It happens quite a lot to me (use it for javascript debugging and css work) and have learnt to live with it as the dev tools are good. Two things are really irritating though.

1. It appears to be impossible to clear the file cache - clearing the cache manually rarely works entirely and the options to stop caching while the dev tools are open is flaky too. Incognito also caches files. This is bloody annoying if you are debugging js includes and Chrome is keeping hold of stale files.

2. Whoever thought "Aw Snap!" was amusing needs a knee in the nads.

1. Stuart 22

Whoever thought "Aw Snap!" was amusing needs a knee in the nads.

Just had that whilst submitting my VAT return. Not amused*.

Not even using Chrome - but Chromium on Linux. IMHO its just the bloat that all good software gets destroyed with. Chrome/Chromium had it made, swift and minimal display taken from what you actually want to see. Why can't they just keep it simple?

* Re-done successfully with Firefox.

2. Bloakey1

<snip>

"1. It appears to be impossible to clear the file cache - clearing the cache manually rarely works entirely and the options to stop caching while the dev tools are open is flaky too. Incognito also caches files. This is bloody annoying if you are debugging js includes and Chrome is keeping hold of stale files."

<snip>

I have noticed that and it has lots of knock on effects, e.g. I can't logon to my Easyjet account butcause of a load of old outdated crap being stored. The dreaded Inertnet Exploder works fine as do the others but Chrome will not let go of old crap run when it last successfully logged in.

As a frequent traveler this sub optimal as one might say.

3. Daggerchild Silver badge

Ditto. Still nippy here. I can easily believe it's scraping at the graphics drivers tho. Little trouble on my recent Nvidia. More data needed.

I do find crashed ad-heavy pages after prolonged inactivity near recent heavy MMOFPS usage every now and then though. Used the internal bug reporter.

Wonder if there's something out there worming in.

4. Shady
      Flame

My (very) old core i3 laptop (Win 7, 64 bit) - with a duff battery - lasts for nearly three hours using Firefox, and well under two using Chrome.

If I let my son stay up all evening watching Minecraft videos or playing Roblox (browser based game) on my i7 desktop PC (Win 8 Pro, 64 bit), the fans max out (and the bedroom turns into a sauna) using Chrome but remains relatively cool'n'quiet using Firefox.

Two different machines, two different configs, two different OS's two different browsers. The only component causing trouble is Chrome.

1. Steve Evans

Odd... i7 Win 8.1 laptop with Nvidia 12gig, Chrome fine.

i7 Win 7 desktop with ATI 16gig, Chrome fine

Recent firefox on both, diabolical JS performance.

5. Chris 244

Had to dump Chrome from my old Sammie netbook (Win7 32 bit 2GB) recently as it started to crash frequently. Previously had been stable. Thought it was just my system.

No issues with FF.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here I am, on chrome, no probs, I was surprised to see this article even.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The thing is, it doesn't just affect Chrome - everything runs poorly on Windows!

8. oldcoder

With all the rather specific complaints...

"Windows isn't done till Chrome doesn't run"

:)

9. goldcd

Indeed

I've been using Chrome since it came out, piling more and more plugins on it - and never been anything less than faultless and butter-off-the-back-of-a-lubed-dolphin-smooth.

Not for one moment saying there can't be problems - but entirely disingenuous to state there's a major problem with Chrome.

I've asked for, voted for and even got features in the Chrome forums - I can only suggest if you think there's a problem you tell Google - and I've complete confidence they'll do their best to fix the issues.

10. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been having a lot of extension crashes on Win7. But it's dev-m Chrome, so I just assumed it was the risk of running it.

These users could probably speed up the browser a lot by adding Adblock and Privacy Badger. As long as they don't crash every 5 minutes.

Edit: what happens is that an extension will start taking up 25% of the CPU (1 of 4 cores), and new tabs won't load. So I go to Chrome task manager, end the process, and click the box that immediately A pops up, allowing me to rerun the extension. Any unloaded content immediately starts working. Repeat frequently... the type of extension doesn't seem to matter. Adblock+, Privacy Badger, and RSS Live Links all do it.

11. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Maybe it only affects systems with really esoteric hardware or running unsupported versions of Windows like XP.'

Two desktop machines at work, one running XP and the other Win 7.

Over the past couple of weeks, Chrome on the XP box has been exhibiting all sorts of random weirdness, from massive memory leaks (with no tabs open) through to being selective which web sites it opens.

The Win 7 box is fine.

Interestingly, the version of Chrome on my Linux box@work has been acting up over the past couple of weeks (memory leaks etc, but I've not had the time to have a good look at it)..then again, there was the recent fubar they had with the 32bit linux version and Debian which took about a week to sort out..

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

64 bit browser

Never really understood the necessity for a 64 bit browser - just how many tabs do you need open before memory becomes a limitation?

Anyway, all the browsers go through cycles of crappiness. Firefox had problems a couple of years ago. Still might happen if they go ahead poking an email client into the browser.

Latest builds of IE look pretty good, but not sure I'm allowed to say that on The Register.

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Devil

Re: 64 bit browser

Quote: "Latest builds of IE look pretty good, but not sure I'm allowed to say that on The Register."

Heretic! Burn him! ;-)

2. Badvok

There are other advantages to 64-bit but the key point here is that 64-bit Chrome is still Beta level software so far as I'm aware. I wonder how many of the complainers are the same as the one sampled in the article, i.e. they are just too dumb to realise that the beta 64-bit software is not going to be as reliable as the old 32-bit version they are used to.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IE itself is OK, but Bing Search returns poisoned domains at the top of the tree for some quite ordinary terms; also that silly little box in the top left is too small to be the main interaction with the browser. Microsoft need to fix their search returns and get rid of the truly awful, horrible MSN default page; commonest question I get asked about it is "how do I get rid of it?". Most of my users do not want to know about Kim Kardashian.

3. Velv

It's not just memory it hogs, it fairly hammers the CPU.

I first noticed on a laptop when the fan would kick in if I opened Chrome, pumping out heat across the desk. Close Chrome and it would immediately return to a quiet cool state. Investigations in the simple Task Manager showed Chrome using 30% just as the only app open (and on a single blank page).

1. techcafe

"hammers the CPU"

try enabling 'hardware acceleration' in Chrome, then restart the browser. some tasks will be offloaded to the GPU, instead of the CPU, which may help.

1. Bloakey1

"try enabling 'hardware acceleration' in Chrome, then restart the browser. some tasks will be offloaded to the GPU, instead of the CPU, which may help."

It is on by default. Disabling it does wonders but it is still shite.

4. Aoyagi Aichou

That's why you use Chropera.

5. Rabbit80

Sounds like there is a common cause..

Perhaps some software running in the background interfering with it..

Antivirus?

Trusteer Rapport? (I see this cause issues frequently)

Bad drivers?

The last major issue I had with Chrome was due to the error reporting module.. Would stop virtual machines from being able to allocate enough memory.

1. Blitterbug
      Unhappy

Re: Antivirus? Trusteer Rapport?

Both. Hideous performance on client browsers (Chrome and IE) often down to Norton / Avast toolbar and / or Trusteer Crapport. I always ditch them, then no worries. As regards ad-heavy sites, I often employ various popular HOSTS builds (to avoid malware rather than ads), but boy does it improve performance better than ad-blocking BHOs (apologies - kind of said something similar elsewhere today but it's relevant to the topic)

6. AndrueC Silver badge

It also seems like every update makes the omnibar less and less useful. I still don't know how to remove unwanted entries from its suggestion list. Time was when typing 'th' would bring up 'theregister'. Now I have to type 'ther' before it offers that as the default. I've seen articles saying that some combination of shift keys with delete will remove items but it's never worked for me.

And yes, I've had multi-core CPU machines jam up while Chrome fannies around doing who knows what. It's still mostly okay but over the past year or two it does seem to have gone down hill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It will depend on how much history you have that starts with 'th' already. I pops up for me when I just type 't'. To delete an entry use the keyboard arrow keys to scroll down to the entry you want and then press shift+delete, don't hover over it with the mouse.

To clear all omnibox data just press ctrl+shift+del while in Chrome and clear browsing history from the beginning of time.

2. hitmouse

Omnibox has been appallingly random in its use of my history for ages. It seems to look for the most remote in time, infrequently used sites first over anything I have visit regularly or recently.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I use Chrome, as it's still the best browser.

but every morning when I come into work after resuming my laptop from standby, it's hung up, used up all my windows socket handles and I need to end all the Chrome processes and start again.

Something has definately gone badly wrong since about Chrome 36 on Windows.

1. Howard Hanek

Re: I use Chrome, as it's still the best browser.

With the addition of the 'background' programs now loaded by default the probability of system instability increases dramatically. I've noticed a degradation in performance even after blocking all the background nonsense I never wanted or needed. Comparing the code to something like Opera you can literally see the differences in architecture.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. JamesThorpe

Font issues

A recent update (thankfully now fixed) killed the ability for it to render certain fonts on a colleague's machine...

Verdana? Nope, Times New Roman for you

9. Howard Hanek

Spying is complicated. They'll ask for another 100K H1B Visas. That should solve the problem.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmmm

one has to wonder about a company that doesn't properly develop their product for the most widely used desktop OS's in the World.

Odd just odd

1. hitmouse

Re: hmmmm

Rather like Apple's treatment of the 90% of its iTunes users on Windows where the temple of UI doesn't respect the UI conventions of the host platform.

11. thomas k.

not noticed it myself

on my win7 32-bit machine but I basically only use it to visit 1 pr0n site.

12. Peter 26

Google Sync

I find it's Google Sync that's the problem. I go into my google settings on their web page and it says I'm syncing something ridiculous like 64,000 bookmarks. I clear it and it keeps gradually increasing even though I have added no new bookmarks.

Windows is nothing compared to Chrome on Android though, it'd freeze for 20 seconds every time I opened it. In the end I just disabled Chrome sync and that fixed it.

13. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    WTF?

Always found Chrome a bit hit and miss. One Mac, it's smooth as silk. The other it's never taken less than a minute to open a page. Oh, and the one where it works is the old, slow one with the smaller drive and less memory.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heading to Firefox territory...

Only takes so long before X browser ( indeed any type of app ) has more and more bolt ons made and the original source tree is expanded and expanded with stuff is was never originally designed to have attached. The compiled software just gets slower and more bogged down. Witness Firefox, lightning fast and the best browser when it first arrived, these days it's tired and need to go on a serious diet.

I still prefer Chrome over the others, never had an serious problems and indeed found it to be to usually the best browser for getting nasty bloated web apps working properly, where IE or FF would collapse. I think Google need to stop tinkering and leave it alone.

1. bazza Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Heading to Firefox territory...

"Only takes so long before X browser ( indeed any type of app ) has more and more bolt ons made and the original source tree is expanded and expanded with stuff is was never originally designed to have attached. The compiled software just gets slower and more bogged down. Witness Firefox, lightning fast and the best browser when it first arrived, these days it's tired and need to go on a serious diet.

I still prefer Chrome over the others, never had an serious problems and indeed found it to be to usually the best browser for getting nasty bloated web apps working properly, where IE or FF would collapse. I think Google need to stop tinkering and leave it alone."

I think you've hit several nails well and truly on the head there. The effort to turn a browser into an app execution environment is really screwing up the whole basic idea of a browser. At the same time the user experience of web apps is awful; they're the worst ever for stupid things (unmovable 'dialog' boxes, no such thing as two apps in view at the same time, etc), and they're slow and often buggy as hell.

Windows 8's Metro environment is arguably akin to a polished up web app look and feel (one app in view at any one time, big clunky unmoveable things, a restricted GUI widget set, etc). That's not done so great. What makes anyone think that a web apps are ever going to be as good as that, let alone better? One of the better web apps I've seen it the web view dished up by modern Exchange servers. It's OK at best, but it's certainly no where near as nice to use as Outlook.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"The effort to turn a browser into an app execution environment is really screwing up the whole basic idea of a browser."

bazza, you have just won the Internets for life.

The emperor is indeed wearing no clothes.

2. 142

Which raise as question. Firefox lead the field in its early days, then chrome took over when it came out of left-field.

So who's the new boy on the market these days?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like