back to article Apple surges in on the BYOD wave

This article was produced in association with Jamf Software Apple has wowed consumers with its phone and tablet devices but this is not the only market to embrace its products. Enterprises are snapping up iPhones and iPads in ever increasing numbers. Last year, IDC said that the iPhone held 59 per cent of the US enterprise …

1. William Donelson
    Thumb Up

An interesting and thoughtful article. More like this would be appreciated.

2. Grikath

seriously....

I do hope this is a lead-in for one of Simon's little tales.

3. king of foo

web/servs

Gone are the days when you needed a windows PC with ie6 to interact with company systems.

And about bloody time too.

I pity anyone left with the burden of supporting hardware specific abandonware.

I like this trend towards uber simple end user experience; it means less phone calls asking where the "any" key is. "Just mash the screen with your face" works just as well.

4. johnarudkin.net

"And it is not going away because many of the people now using it are the same people that tell the IT department what to do."

If only!

11 years ago, when I joined Blackpool Council, the IT Dept had a request, and it was handed around like a poison chalice. The CEO wanted "the best computer for his use". He never looked back after I specified a Mac. The IT Dept hated that...then Macs began to spread, but IT resisted. 6 years later, after the Architects Team celebrated their Mac deployment - the only Department able to operate during a massive Conficker infection, the Head of IT said "Apple will never be allowed by B******** Council, and it will never be used in Enterprise. It was a NO to iOS "We will use Windows Mobile - and XP. Microsoft will never drop them" Well, how things change. They are still resisting BYOD, What is wrong with these people. Apple haters. The Head of IT even cited it as a "problem". I was "out of touch" highlighting the positive aspects of the Apple platform in an all-MS organisation.

So guys, who was "out-of-touch"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

bet the council tax payers are loving paying the Apple Tax for Blackpool council.

We did a comparison of leasing Apple Desktops compared to our usual DELL one's. Apple nearly twice the price the spec's were better but we don't need such high spec's that were being offered, and that was with a sh1te 1yr back to an apple store warranty compared to 3yr onsite NBD from Dell

5. Obitim
    FAIL

Depends on Restrictions

We support a number of iPads for our users in the department where I work and for the most part it works fine...until your MDM software isn't updated to be compatible with the latest version of IOS and iTunes is disallowed from being installed on laptops as the top bods think that it'll be used to listen to music all day and don't actually realise that iTunes is a necessary requirement for doing some diagnostics with an iPad...

Other than that, I can see why people in business like to use Apple products, it;s the same reason that I recommended my mum goes with Apple - it just works (most of the time)

Disclaimer:

I moved from the Apple camp to the Android camp about 3 years ago - but can still see the benefits of both OS'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Depends on Restrictions

"It Just Works" this is an Apple BS Slogan, and it's a dumb one at that.

6. Nifty Silver badge

Someone overlooked the real BYOD issue

I work at a large corporate with a BYOD policy in place.

I would estimate that 60% of eligible hardware owners have rejected the BYOD offer (including myself).

- Because they don't want to enter an 8 digit PIN every time, and that's one that must be changed every 3 months.

- Because the device has to use a VPN for all access to corporate thingies and you cannot get a statement from your employer as to when and when not traffic is routed thus.

- Because no-one else in the family is allowed to touch your phone once you've unlocked the screen.

Blackberry is the ONLY handset supplier who's recognized the issue with a SEPARATE and ENCRYPTED partition for corporate usag, apps and data and another partition for everyday.

Other Android solutions exist but would not pass the BYOD security policy AFAIK.

Even if Apple were to finally, finally play catch-up with a partitioned solution, my own iPhone at 16GB would not have the spare memory for corp stuff, even though I could sorely use the BYOD functionality.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Zap

Will Never buy Apple for Biz

Several years ago Apple brought out a bunch of Server products for the business market under the brand Xserve

We had a lot of Apple fanboys saying we should buy some, we had Dell, IBM, HP, Fujitsu and a few others.

The Apple kit was quite reasonable in price but knowing what Apple is like once you use or depend on their kit there were reservations, but it is always the management and support that matters, so we waited.

Then a Apple pulled out of that market

ww.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/08/apple_xserve_server_dead/

There were lots of comments about it being an experiment but you can't have your company IT depending on an Experiment.

Now they want to get in bed with IBM, well the same thing applies; Support and Management, I can't see any value in Apple, oh I am sure that there will be the usual fanboys that don't mind bending over and taking it hard, but no thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like