back to article NXT: The first SPAAAACE cryptocurrency

It's fair to say that our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission has attracted a broad spectrum of sponsors, and among those who've climbed aboard is NXT, which aims to be the first cryptocurrency into space, or at least the stratosphere. NXT is a Bitcoin rival launched in 2013, "currently positioned at #5 by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Well, no, it's not.

NXT is a LEGO Robotics Microcontroller. A real thing that actually exists and is actually worth something.

(Well, alright, it's been superceded by EV3, but I haven't opened mine yet; there's still 34 days to go...)

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

light crypocurrency trading from the comfort of our spaceplane's cockpit.

Does the mean that LOHAN is (briefly) becoming an offshore tax haven? I hope the playmonaut's got a good accountant!

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

Theme tune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2HVYwQzrmU

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
  4. EvilDave
    Happy

NXT

Well, yes, it is. And there's a wrestling NXT as well, just to add to the confusion.

Heres the crypto-currency NXT:

http://nxter.org/

http://coinmarketcap.com/

5. Sir Sham Cad

Acceptable Receptacle

I like how the Playmonaut is quaffing his champagne from a finely crafted LOHAN mug. Or is it Shax's LOHAN V2 mead?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Acceptable Receptacle

I believe our Playmonaut may be an ale and mead man.

6. Captain DaFt

A query

So is this changing the layout of Vulture II?

If it is, I'd suggest the chest up front, (with a suitable rack) and the booty in the rear.

(Just to keep things balanced, mind.)

7. Grave

nxt = ponzi scamcoin

1. "developer" insta-mined all coins - basically gave himself ALL of the coins out of thin air (forget fair and honest distribution), whereas bitcoin/real crypto coin miners have to spend a lot of investment to get coins by mining.

2. then a portion of these was distributed amongst his friends, family and cronies under the promise not to sell immediately but wait and create artificial scarcity to increase value

3. then the nxt value was inflated even more by a huge pump and dump fraud several times

4. and now you have a shitcoin on life support, full of bagholders while the ponzi group already cashed out most of their fraudulent profits.

1. Brangdon

Re: nxt = ponzi scamcoin

Nxt is a proof of stake coin. There is no mining, hence no "insta-mine". The initial development was funded by crowd-sourcing, which anyone in the public could contribute to in exchange for an early stake. 73 people did. That was roughly a year ago. Since then the coin has had massive development, with many innovative "2.0" features being added, including messaging (with/without encryption), an asset exchange and a marketplace that runs trust-free. More features are on the way. As such it in no way matches the profile of a ponzi-coin, which are generally clones of Bitcoin or similar with no innovation or serious effort put into them.

8. Tom 7

Space Crypto Currency

Orbit Coin anyone?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Space Crypto Currency

Star Bucks, obviously.

(BSG, not coffee, obviously)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like