back to article Holy vintage vehicles! Earliest known official Batmobile goes on sale

A heavily-customised Oldsmobile said to be the first officially-licenced Batmobile will go to auction later in December. Created in 1963, three years before the infamously camp Batman TV show hit the airwaves, DC Comics allowed a US chap named Forrest Robinson to build a Batmobile, according to Heritage Auctions. The hammer- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He boot looks as if it could take your eye out if you got too close.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's only ONE batmobile

The modified Lincoln Futura used on the TV show.

best car ever

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Coat

Left hand drive?

Can you get a right hand drive version?

4. Chicken Marengo
    Happy

Hmm,

I quite like the look of that and coincidentally the oil pump on my bland eurobox failed at the weekend in a potentially fatal manner.

Wonder if the other half will approve a $112,000 replacement budget.

5. thomas k.

got me to wondering ...

No Batmobiles in the 40s serials? Sadly, no.

A tight wartime budget put them in a Cadillac limo for the first serial in 1945, and the low-budget 1949 serial had them in a '49 Mercury.

6. phil 27

There can be only one true batmobile!, the reworked Lincoln futura, reworked into the batmobile by ace Kustomizer George Barris. George bought the futura which was a ford concept car built in turin after a sucessful tour of the show circuits for a few years for $1. Bet that would make more than $112k now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Futura

7. Mike Moyle

At least this one doesn't have the stupid turbine engine.

Since the Barris conversion, every live-action Batmobile has had to have the honkin' big jet engine in it which was -- I suppose -- alright for the mood of the TV show, but makes absolutely NO sense if you're trying to be the movies' ninja-like urban legend.

Just sayin'.

8. Frankee Llonnygog

It's gorgeous

I'd like to see it as the centrepiece of a retro Batman movie

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon