back to article Assassin's Creed bugs shift setting to LSD-drenched 1960s Paris

Shares in the French games developer Ubisoft have dipped after its new game Assassin's Creed: Unity shipped with huge numbers of crippling glitches. Ubisoft's share price has dropped since the game's release on Tuesday, dropping by more than 13 per cent before rallying. Ubisoft is now frantically working on a fix for the …

1. returnmyjedi

The music in the "this one's too funny..." clip is rather excellent. Personally I've never found the Assassins Creed games to be that great. Very pretty to look at four sure, but the collectathon gameplay soon became tiresome. Glad I have this one a miss after seeing the vids.

1. Matt 21

Always difficuult to know hwo bad these things are

Games are nearly always released before they're finished nowadays. I don't like it and can only hope that things like this will help push us back to games that work as they should from day one.

On the other hand some reviewers are saying they played the game for quite some time and didn't hit any of these problems. I've seen other games slated for "terrible" problems which I didn't hit and neither did anyone else I know (I mean real people I actually know and physically meet as opposed to comments from people like me on forums which I don't consider verifiable). One such example was a game where your car could go into a sub-world where the normal rules didn't apply. Later it turned out you had to do a fairly bizarre sequence of things to achieve this, so not a huge problem in that case. Of course the videos published at the time didn't show this, just the "problem".

So, who knows if this is a bit of a storm in a teacup or a major screw-up somehow missed by some reviewers. Fortunately it's not a game which interests me.

1. mythicalduck

Re: Always difficuult to know hwo bad these things are

"Games are nearly always released before they're finished nowadays"

Especially with developers offering "early access" with alphas and betas these days

2. Ian 62

<tinfoil>

No mention of the NDA for reviewers that actually lasted beyond public release?

</tinfoil>

1. SolidSquid

There's an embargo on that until tuesday

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Extra spicey vindaloo

That hell under paris exists!

"This last video shows Arno swimming in a sub-Paris sea, which is actually a pretty cool effect. Eventually he swims too far and drops into the lethal cloud-filled void that lurks underneath Paris' subterranean sea."

That place actually exists, underneath the sewers there are the catacombs

http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en/homepage-catacombs-official-website

Glad I didn't buy the preview version, I think this time I'll wait until the price drops.

It's not much better above Paris streets either, it's a smog filled hell hole of a place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: That hell under paris exists!

I haven't been to Paris in ~15 years, and there wasn't so much smog back then as there were puddles of brown and yellow...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Well, you can get both now, plus sourly commuters pressed into Métro like SAUCISSONS, and possibly gang fights / a stolen wallet / extremely overpriced coffee / taxis shamelessly fleecing you / CRS feeling, if not beating you up because you were caught near a protest action by Force Ouvrière.

It's like Upper Volta with a Tour Eiffel.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sounds a bit nicer than New York then. Perhaps I'll visit.

4. Triggerfish

You missed the biggest bug

You have to install uplay.

5. MikeyD85
    Trollface

No way!

V1.0.x software... WITH BUGS IN IT!

It's the end of days!

1. asdf

Re: No way!

Its a good thing nobody ever plays a console without hooking it up to the internet huh?

6. EddieD

It's catching

The devs should go work for Blizzard...they'd fit in well

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Meh

Re: EddieD Re: It's catching

"The devs should go work for Blizzard...they'd fit in well" TBH, Blizz's biggest fault is not their development but their relentless drive to take good games and tarnish them with pay-to-boost systems. OK in 'freemium' games maybe, but in games where you're already p2p'ing?

1. Fibbles

Re: EddieD It's catching

I guess you haven't been following the WoD release fiasco Matt?

Two days after release and the servers are still so unstable you'll be lucky to get 20 minutes of gameplay before finding some progression breaking bug, getting stuck on a loading screen or plain old booted from the server. Blizzard's only solution so far is to reduce the server population caps so that on busy realms it now takes up to 5 hours of queuing just to get into the game. Lowering the caps has done bugger all to help stability or latency but it has made the random disconnects all the more infuriating.

Apparently the instability is "totally unexpected" as if they couldn't have foreseen that their entire subscriber base playing in the same zone all at once might stress the servers. It's not like they've had 5 previous MMO launches and 10 years of experience...

1. Rob

Re: EddieD It's catching

Sounds just like all the other expansions Blizz have done for WoW, they get them sorted eventually and usually within a couple of weeks.

Going back to earlier in the thread someone mentioned about unfinished games, I think the general rule with all games now is don't pay any premium for 'early access' and give it a couple of weeks after release before installing/playing it.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Meh

Re: Fibbles Re: EddieD It's catching

"I guess you haven't been following the WoD release fiasco Matt?...." Nope, I stopped playing WoW before Mists came out because it looked like (and turned out to be) exactly what Germans would call 'mist'. That and the fact that success meant the European servers were packed with newbs that didn't want to play the game and level up by effort, but just wanted to buy their way to top level and run raids (and sit in town bragging about their paid for items). The first crack was the introduction of Deathknights which started at level 55. IMHO, it would have been so much more interesting if Blizz had included an expansion pack that allowed you to level a DK up from 1 as a minion of the Lich King, through a separate pre-Burning timeline, then plugged your level 55 DK into the full game world through some form of 'portal' after the Lich King's control was broken.

".....Two days after release and the servers are still so unstable you'll be lucky to get 20 minutes of gameplay before finding some progression breaking bug, getting stuck on a loading screen or plain old booted from the server....." Not sure how much of that is a Blizz issue and how much is due to the lame antics of losers like the Lizard Squad and their DDoS attacks (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30079037 - about half way down the article). But, if anyone can fix it I would expect Blizzard to, they are usually pretty good with the tech stuff.

As for Assassin's Creed, it seems they have a fundamental code problem and not such an easy one to fix.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What was the fab music in the third clip "glitches", 2m35s long?

8. bpfh
    FAIL

What corrective patch?

Surely you mean DLC. Of course they take all major credit cards...

9. Stevie

Bah!

Re: first video:

Bowman falls through a star gate designed by Jack McDevitt.

"My god, it's full of fog".

10. asdf

DRM karma

In the words of Ridley Scott, Ubisoft is more EA than EA.

11. lucki bstard

Do me a favour knock off the jokes about epileptic's.

1. Dabooka

I missed the reference

Eplieptic's what?

1. lucki bstard

Re: I missed the reference

Subtitle was

'Punched into Hell through a grave by an epileptic'

Not funny.

12. TheProf
    Happy

Wrong game

Surely this it a promo for an Inception video game.

13. Vociferous

Can't wait for Birgirpall to review this.

And I just narrowly avoided being asphyxiated by his review of Surgeon Simulator.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon