back to article Doctor Who trashing the TARDIS, Clara alone, useless UNIT – Death in Heaven

Please note: THIS IS A POST-UK-BROADCAST REVIEW – THERE WILL BE SPOILERS! Brid-Aine says: The thrill is definitely gone. This finale couldn’t lift itself up from the messy morass of the rest of the season, or redeem either Peter Capaldi’s Doctor or Jenna Coleman’s Clara Oswald. All of it, down to the completely annoying and …

Page:

1. WibbleMe

Impressed with the speed of the post

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Can you actually review something while watching it? Or rather half watching it. All rather shoddy and get the feeling the reviewer wanted to hate it.

1. Steven Raith

Or maybe they get the pre-broadcast versions for review purposes, such as Den of Geek got on the 4th of November on the 'no spoilers' caveat.

Little thing called an embargo. Fairly common in review land.

1. illiad

review land generates click bait, lies...

1. TRT Silver badge

I think the typing was done whilst watching the TV screen, not the computer screen. A few mistakes in this piece!

2. Psyx

"All rather shoddy and get the feeling the reviewer wanted to hate it."

What, huh?

Did you not notice the bit where there's three reviews by three different people, verging from the 'it sucked' to the medicated optimism?

2. heyrick Silver badge

Clara as The Doctor...

I was like "OH HELL YES!", but - oh - what a let-down. Oh well.

As for the episode, bizarre. The best character (Osgood) is cruelly slaughtered, the plot is about as insane as Missy, and there are some Big Speeches and Special Moments shoehorned in, as if this is supposed to be some sort of emotional rollercoaster, but... I'm wondering if the payoff was really there. I mean, the ending. As said, Clara is broken, the Doctor is broken, Danny is dead, and Earthlings have to recover from the dead rising in cyberman form. It's no surprise that the Tardis can vanish from a city centre and nobody notices. All of humanity is broken. Great going, Moffat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clara as The Doctor...

Or to summarise your somewhat lengthy but accurate post: "A load of old shit"

1. ColonelDare

If you don't like it, don't watch it then.

I did and I did :-)

1. heyrick Silver badge

"If you don't like it, don't watch it then." - I watch in the hope that it will surprise me and come up with some stories akin to the Dr Who of my childhood instead of this touchy-feely-timey-wimey rubbish. There are some good moments, enough to keep me from entirely walking away, but ... for goodness sake, just pick an angle for the Doctor and go with it, don't keep yoyoing around. Here's a hint. Watch him-with-the-boggle-eyes-and-the-scarf or him-with-the-poncey-cricket-outfit. The stories were kinda cheesy, the effects hammy, and a certain charming innocence (Romana in Paris, anyone?) but above all the stories were (usually) watchable. They made sense. They could exist with a zany half-sci-fi and half comedy blend but didn't depend upon big friendly reset buttons or retconning entire swathes of backstory for this week's plot development...

2. illiad

it stopped the cybermen didnt it???? :)

2. 4ecks

ditto, and as for the Christmas teaser - AvP meets a Pudsey special?

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

It pains me to say this (naaah)

"So now Danny is a Cyberman, but somehow, he’s held on to his emotions. This is never properly explained"

Bollocks it was. Pay attention. He was last seen hesitating over the delete button. And his inhibitor isn't switched on. Don't know why they needed both but it's there before you

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@graeme

Agreed.

In fact, it's not a completely unknown plot twist either since it has been done before. Season 2: Army of Ghosts / Doomsday. The head of operations of Torchwood gets converted, but is later seen killing other cybermen while ranting "I did my duty for queen and country".

Not just that, we even see something like a tear coming from her eyes. Talk about a situation which doesn't add up!

Which is basically my only gripe with this new season: the heavy re-use of plots which have already been done.

btw; the only reason I remember this is because of the interesting clash between the Daleks and Cybermen in that episode arch. Both species tried to invade earth yet unknown of the others presence. And it was as funny as it was dark:

Cyberman (talking to a Dalek): "You will identify first!".

Dalek: "Daleks do not take orders!"

Cyberman: "You have identified yourself Dalek..."

That was as brilliant as it was simple. But in comparison to all that I have to agree that this season is lacking.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: @graeme

"Cyberman (talking to a Dalek): "You will identify first!".

Dalek: "Daleks do not take orders!"

Cyberman: "You have identified yourself Dalek..."

"Don't tell him, Pike."

2. David L Webb

Re: It pains me to say this (naaah)

Bollocks it was. Pay attention. He was last seen hesitating over the delete button. And his inhibitor isn't switched on. Don't know why they needed both but it's there before you

Whether he hit the delete button or not should be irrelevant since the Cybermen have never required their converts to agree to conversion and have always turned the inhibitor on.

In the past the inhibitor though was built into the Cyberman head directly attached to the human brain - this is the first time that I've ever seen controls for turning it on or off being attached to the front of the Cyberman. Why would the Cybermen want to make such controls accessible since an enemy could conceivably use those controls to turn the Cyberman's emotions on again ?

As others have mentioned other people converted have been able to rebel against the Cybermen but in those cases they did it despite the inhibitor operating.

So no I don't think it was really explained why his inhibitor was turned off.

1. illiad

"Whether he hit the delete button or not should be irrelevant since the Cybermen have never required their converts to agree to conversion and have always turned the inhibitor on."

That was missy, NOT cybermen..

3. illiad

Its that L word, saved the day plus...:)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@graeme "Bollocks it was. Pay attention...." Well its not though is it. Lets use some logic:

Danny sits pondering if he should delete his emotions (maybe a problem all wooden actors have had)

The cyber suit has a built in inhibitor anyway so as you say why was it even necessary to consider deleting his emotions before. BUT the question unanswered is WHY out of all the cyber suits was Danny the only one to have a suit that malfunctioned and not suppress his emotions regardless of pressing the button or not. Then when Clara activates the inhibitor why is Danny still in the only cyber suit that allows him to retain his emotions.

I think that this seasons scripts seemed very poor and that there are more holes than in a swiss cheese.

1. Psyx

"BUT the question unanswered is WHY out of all the cyber suits was Danny the only one to have a suit that malfunctioned and not suppress his emotions regardless of pressing the button or not. Then when Clara activates the inhibitor why is Danny still in the only cyber suit that allows him to retain his emotions."

We are supposed to believe that Danny is 'special' because he loves Clara and that the love between them steels him against his programming.

Which is clearly crap. Their 'love' is so badly portrayed in the script that it's scarcely believable. They spend more time lying to each other than showing affection. Quite why this is the tower of love that leaves all others behind and allows Danny to be himself still is not really clear.

4. Phoenix50

What a wonderful finale...

... No, not the last Doctor Who of this series, Brid-Aine's reviews of the episodes.

Kill them, kill them with fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a wonderful finale...

So what you're saying is, more junk Dr. Who needed so Ms. Parnell can churn out more world class invective?

Suits me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To me the main problem with the series is that they've trivialised the role of the doctor, which is where the original series also went wrong and never managed to recover.

Oh, and Missy was teleported not killed - the colour coding was a fairly strong hint.

1. stucs201

Yes and no

I thought the colour coding was to indicate she was shot by the Brigadier rather than the Dr.

I think you're right about the teleport though, killed just by getting shot doesn't really seem to fit with the whole regenerating timelord thing.

2. Gordon 10

You sure about that? The colour coding was for a cyber gun which were blue in this episode, rather than master death ray red.

1. Steven Raith

Since when have cyberman caused their victims to disintegrate? Pretty sure they leave bodies so they can be reprocessed into, er, more cybermen....

She was magicked away. Better have been, that's been the most fun enemy I've seen in the new series since, well, John Simm. And as I reckoned, made Simm look subtle and subdued.

More Michelle Gomez, please.

1. TRT Silver badge

That's the best thing about The Master coming back as a woman... no more John Simm.

The Master's character has definitely developed though. He used to just be a scheming megalomaniac with a desire to rule, now he/she's a screaming, babbling psychopath with schemes grander than reality could possibly allow.

1. Platelet

now he/she's a screaming, bunny boiler

6. Andrew Jones 2

Well, this isn't the first time we have a Cyberman go against it's programming because of emotion -

In Doomsday a cyberman/woman (Yvonne) goes against her programming - and disobeys orders - and a tear of oil leaks out of her eye. Potentially in both Danny and Yvonnes case - they were so determined NOT to be "upgraded" that they were able to interfere with the process.

However it still has not been explained - how exactly - the digital dead minds can "feel" what happens to their physical bodies - providing of course that wasn't just a lie.

Nor has it been explained what "missy" has to do with Clara being the impossible girl. It is explained why the Doctor and the current Clara were destined to meet - but not what that has to do with the previous 2 Clara's......

1. lorisarvendu

"Nor has it been explained what "missy" has to do with Clara being the impossible girl. It is explained why the Doctor and the current Clara were destined to meet - but not what that has to do with the previous 2 Clara's......"

Ah now, Missy had nothing to do with Clara's later jaunt into the Doctor's time stream. That was something that Clara herself decided to do on the spur of the moment in "Name of the Doctor". Whoever was the companion when they arrived on Trenzalore probably would have done the same and ended up split into the time stream. That was the reason for her appearing in the previous season, on the Dalek Asylum and Victorian London - they were two of her "rescue missions". It's a standard case of "timey-wimeyness" where cause and effect happen in the wrong order. Somebody does something in the future ("Name of the Doctor") and it affects the past ("Asylum" and "Snowmen"). Missy had nothing to do with that, and had no idea it would happen...and it didn't affect her plans anyway.

2. Jess

> how exactly - the digital dead minds can "feel" what happens to their physical bodies

> - providing of course that wasn't just a lie.

It was a lie. Presumably also used within the nethersphere to encourage people to press delete.

7. Red Bren
    FAIL

I'm with Brid-Aine on this

Her review sums up almost all my frustrations with this anti-climatic end to the series. But I'd like to add another.

Unless the whole of humanity have been burying their dead in metal coffins, how did the corpses all reanimate with full cyberman armour? I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt over the whole cyber-pollen thing, even though it's a blatant rip off of borg nanites, but I'm not having this conjuring up armour from thin air.

1. Chozo
      Terminator

Re: reanimate with full cyberman armour

If metal started mysteriously disappearing from around the graveyards with a little cgi wizardy I would of gone along with it on faith, had they showed cyberman being created like this ... http://youtu.be/YEHbl1gwuZ8 I'd be hiding behind the sofa with the kids.

2. David L Webb

Re: I'm with Brid-Aine on this

I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt over the whole cyber-pollen thing, even though it's a blatant rip off of borg nanites, but I'm not having this conjuring up armour from thin air.

And why unlike Borg nanites would it only affect the dead ? Surely a much better plan would have been to have converted the living as well - hell if the nanites colonised the brain you could even get the living to search for pieces of metal to aid in their conversion.

3. Teebow

Re: I'm with Brid-Aine on this

danny lying on a slab gets what 100lds of steel. cybertec power to run it all and fuel to fly. when ever the cybermen have upgraded people in the past they have had a a upgrade unit to put them in so now its done by magic not!!

1. stucs201

Re: in the past they have had a a upgrade unit

Not always. I've just finished watching Tomb of the Cybermen (Dr 2). The end shot is of a partially converted (one arm) person, who 2 minutes earlier was apparently flesh and blood (but had been briefly under cyber control and had his fear disabled). That to me looks more like an infection or nanotech conversion than it does a putting in a conversion unit and physically adding armour upgrade.

8. Roger B

WOW

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

1. Psyx

Re: WOW

Steven Moffat.

9. trance gemini
    Flame

I missed the end!

... so the Doctor knocks up this hyperspace projector in the old ladys living room, sets it up in the stone circle whilst K9 is chasing a glowing monolith, zaps himself into hyperspace, ends up onboard a huge (hyper)spacestation, rescues Romana, then these fizzy orb things arrive proclaiming to be transdimensional judges and the sexy lady with the big stick who's also the 4000-year-old crow-goddess reappears all painted silver and tells the Doctor and Romana it's game over ...

... and then someone came round with a knackered laptop and i missed the last five minutes so i'm assuming that's when the master and the cybermen turn up?

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: I missed the end!

Spoilers! I've not watched that yet (it's on my sky box though...) ;^D

1. illiad

Re: I missed the end!

WHAT are you doing here if you dont want spoilers????

repeated on 13 nov - set your recorder manually so you dont miss it...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Osgood and Missy are not entirely "dead"

I mean why would they kill off the Master anyway??

The get out is the Timelord tech. "Heaven", where the newly dead go. So obviously Osgood and Missy are in there (for now).

Someone watched and reviewed in a hurry - so missed/forgot a few clues.

1. a cynic writes...

Re: Osgood and Missy are not entirely "dead"

I thought the get out was that the missy being killed special effect was suspiciously similar to the missy teleporting special effect.

In other news UNIT now has a competent CO and he's bullet proof...

2. Psyx

"The get out is the Timelord tech. "Heaven", where the newly dead go. So obviously Osgood and Missy are in there (for now)."

Errr... no, because 'heaven' was a scam: a timelord hard drive which selectively uploaded dead people. All the views out of the window were part of the hoax. Missy hadn't got a city of dead people: She'd got 91.

Missy's get-out clause was the ray hitting her was blue, like the teleport ones. Although it came from a cyberman, so maybe I'm reading too much into that.

Osgood was killed in a fit of spitefully bad writing.

"Someone watched and reviewed in a hurry - so missed/forgot a few clues."

Not really. There is not really such a thing as a 'clue' in Who these days, because everything is so handwaved and badly written, then linked together so poorly that it's a chaotic mess. Plans and plots make entirely no sense.

1. FlatSpot
        IT Angle

I don't think she was there in the first place, but a hard-light hologram, hence she could slip out of the handcuffs. It would be bonkers to kill off her character so quickly after establishing it.

1. Psyx

"It would be bonkers to kill off her character so quickly after establishing it."

The death can always be fixed in a hamfitted manner, as per usual.

However, the entire point of the character was not the character itself, but to instead create canon in order to pave the way for the potential of a female Doctor in the future.

1. Badvok

"The death can always be fixed in a hamfitted [sic] manner, as per usual."

Or you know, they could use something totally off-the-wall for Dr. Who, like, I dunno, perhaps time-travel?

1. Psyx

"Or you know, they could use something totally off-the-wall for Dr. Who, like, I dunno, perhaps time-travel?"

Thus making any emotional investment pointless and tugging the audience around pointlessly, rather spoiling immersion.

Ultimately, any writer can save any character with a little adroitness and cunning. However, Moffat lacks that delicate touch and his 'twists' are pulled out of nowhere. That's not clever writing: It's like running a shell game without showing people which shell the pea is placed under in the first place or shuffling about. He lifts a random cup, goes 'ta-da' and expects us to be impressed.

Chekov's gun is not clever if it is hidden in a desk draw where nobody could see it.

3. Platelet

Osgood is dead - Moffat said so. he wanted to show Missy boiling the bunny.

Missing was left open in the same way that they always kill off the master, it simply doesn't matter

11. Fibbles

The Doctor, poised to kill the Master.

I was on the edge of my seat. Finally, some decent character development for the Doctor instead of everything resetting back to normal at the end of the episode as per usual. Before you go scrambling for the reply button; no, losing feisty female sidekick 4792 doesn't count as character development since feisty female sidekick 4793 will be along presently resulting in no meaningful change.

I could have forgiven the episode for being rather rambling and cheesy at times if the writers had let him do it and then cut to the punching console scene. It would have been a bit of a downer but probably the punch to the gut this series desperately needs. Instead we got the inevitable deus ex machina to keep the Doctor clean and kiddie friendly.

I think I'm done with this series.

NO MORE.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon