back to article REVEALED: Apple fanbois are 'MENTALLY UNSTABLE' - iShop staff

Apple iSlaves have joined together to publish a scathing indictment of customers who graze at the fruity firm's retail stores. A number of embittered Apple employees have contributed to a Reddit thread called Confessions of an Apple Store Worker, which was started by an anonymous employee called FruitStandSlave. Apple …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be nice to shop workers

However difficult it is to keep a straight face when dealing with a shop worker with a job title of "genius", remember bill and ted "be excellent to each other" however pretentious the store you find yourself in.

1. Obitim

Re: Be nice to shop workers

And restaurant staff...

It's the only way to avoid trouser food

2. Andrew Moore

Be nice to people, full stop.

It's a long time since I did customer support, but I do remember going out of the way to look after the people who treated me decently. And thankfully I didn't have to work in an entitlement culture which rewarded arseholes.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

It's a long time since I did customer support, but I do remember going out of the way to look after the people who treated me decently.

Did you spot the inconsistency there?

1. Tapeador

@ Ian Johnston Re: Be nice to shop workers

I think he means if you're nice to junior customer service workers, they may go out of their way to try to help you, whereas if you're not nice to them, they may treat you at best with merely the contractually required minima of 'niceness'.

2. Number6

That's always a good starting point. It is highly unlikely that the person you are talking to is personally to blame for your problem, and being polite is the best chance you've got of getting things fixed quickly and painlessly. If there's been a big corporate screw-up then chances are the person has been dealing with irate customers all day, so being polite will be a refreshing change for them and you'll get good service.

However, if you start by being polite and the support person is a jerk despite that, I don't mind a bit of escalation but it's important that the other person started it. If we all did that, we'd all get along really well because we'd all be waiting for the other person to start the jerk circle.

3. proud2bgrumpy

Always remember that it's not the shop workers fault if the product you bought is crap - you can either a) get them on side to help or b) vent your frustrations at the crap product at them and try to intimidate. I'd suggest that starting at (b) will exclude (a) from ever being a possibility.

Of course, I also find that being decent to people also leaves me getting screwed over and scumbags with no sense of decency and incapable of feelings of guilt usually get their own way.

So it's your choice, be a decent person who gets screwed over, or be a scumbag who gets their own way - it's a matter of conscientious ie do you have one v does the person you're talking to have one. (honestly, sometimes I wish I didn't)

3. dogged

> However difficult it is to keep a straight face when dealing with a shop worker with a job title of "genius"

Not a problem. Just don't buy iThings and you'll never have to endure them.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No worse than consultant or analyst and the myriad of other terms people like to use.

5. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

The Apple Store is weird

Wander in, look around for any sign of a queue, line up, or a Take-A-Number system. Nothing.

Stand there looking like an idiot for three minutes. Nothing. Staff all busy doing something.

Wander around randomly unplugging things, hoping to attract attention. Nothing.

Drop trousers around ankles. Suddenly it's all "Can I help you sir?" Reinstall trousers.

Works every time.

(joke alert)

They're weird.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: The Apple Store is weird

Drop trousers around ankles. Suddenly it's all "Can I help you sir?" Reinstall trousers.

Hmm... are you sure you weren't at the airport?

6. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

This "mentally unstable" condition - is it brought on by too much Thinking Different? Like wanting a phone which keeps its shape under normal use, to throw in a recent example.

2. Semtex451

Out of idle curiosity

Are these US iSlaves or a mix, or what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Out of idle curiosity

Or could they just work for a competitor / their PR company...?

1. h4rm0ny

Yes - we have no proof that this is genuine. We will only know if it is genuine if and when someone gets fired by Apple for being the blogger.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Were their IPs traced to South Korea <haha>

3. Ossi

To be fair, we all moan about our jobs.

No pun intended.

1. Guus Leeuw

To be fair, we don't... For one, I don't!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wow so you never have bad days, unreasonable colleagues / customers and nothing ever goes wrong. I'll have what he's smoking ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> To be fair, we all moan about our jobs.

I'm a prostitute, it's expected of me

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Feeling a bit hormonal today, are we?

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

I see you were downvoted by someone who didn't find that very punny

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Alan Denman

How to deal with customers with perception problems...

'that is no a bend, it becoming the new style.

think positive customer, you are one of those 9.'

(don't tell him you meant 9th today)

1. MrZoolook
      Trollface

Re: How to deal with customers with perception problems...

In customer services, there are no such things as problems, merely "opportunities for solutions."

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

I have nothing constructive to say about this article. It just shows Apple's focus on maintaining a brand relationship over having a working device in the hands of their end user.

Makes me ill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Confirmation bias anyone?

Even if they are actually Apple staff I'm sure it's possible you are going to get a few bad Apples if you pardon the pun ;-) The Apple staff I have dealt with have been polite / friendly but YMMV and I'm sure if you go in all guns blazing you might get someones back up - we're all human in that respect - probably the same if you charge into a Mercedes garage and start shouting at the staff.

1. Tom 35

The Apple staff I have dealt with have been polite / friendly

Until the door swings shut behind you then they could be pointing and making vomiting noises behind your back.

2. southen bastard

WTF is YMMV

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How do you maintain a relationship if you shaft the customer?

1. Naughtyhorse

How do you maintain a relationship if you shaft the customer?

work for apple... duhh!

2. Mark 85
        Coat

Generally speaking.... if one is being screwed, one likes to be kissed. The basis of any relationship.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have nothing constructive to say about this article. It just shows Apple's focus on maintaining a brand relationship over having a working device in the hands of their end user.

And, of course, you (a) believe everything you read and (b) think that this only happens at Apple. I note with interest that the entire content of the ramblings are what this person thinks of their job and their world, not what Apple asks them to do - I have seen people like that in all areas of sales. You don't need to be in tech either to come across them, so it's not what I would call, errm, "news".

Personally, if I had someone like that working for me I would strive to make them feel happier by asking them to take their dissatisfaction elsewhere.

Given how it singles out one brand and the very nature of the article, it almost got me thinking that I now know what Jasper's other job is.

4. fruitoftheloon
      FAIL

NoneSuch,

err no it doesn't, it suggests that [potentially] some Apple store staff in [some] Apple stores [sometimes] have a problem with [some of] their customers.

So not a tangible amount of evidence from which to draw a valid conclusion eh?

J

7. Frankee Llonnygog

Hold the presses...

Shop staff pissed off by customers!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Hold the presses...

Roll up, roll up, read all about it

Another Anti-Apple rant from Jasper.

Yawn.

1. Kebablog

I saw the click bait headline and already knew the 'author'.

2. dogged

Keep going, Jasper.

Two reasons -

1. It really irritates Steve Davies 3 which can only be good

2. We need you on point to balance out Orlowski's loathing of Google and Gavin Clark's hatred of Microsoft*.

(*To judge from podcasts, this is basically down to an inability to pronounce "Microsoft" or indeed, understand anything about software. I have no idea what Google did to Orlowski).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Yes it irritates me. For the reason that the rant seems to get in the way of producing some half decent articles. It would be nice for JH to break the mould once in a while and write something thought provoking.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

2. We need you on point to balance out Orlowski's loathing of Google and Gavin Clark's hatred of Microsoft*.

(*To judge from podcasts, this is basically down to an inability to pronounce "Microsoft" or indeed, understand anything about software. I have no idea what Google did to Orlowski).

1 - loathing Google is demonstrating insight into what they are really doing, and not falling for the "don't be evil" meme.

2 - it takes a special kind of person to insult someone for pronunciation. That is so seriously weak, characterless and below par that you've just fallen of the scale, even if you weren't already cheerleading for Google and Microsoft.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have no idea what Google did to Orlowski

It's popular amongst the masses. From what I can tell, if it's good for - or liked by - the majority of people, Orlowski is firmly against it. Elites uber alles with that one.

1. fruitoftheloon
            Joke

Does Alice mind?

2. theModge

Certainly as a teenager working in a supermarket, or later a bar populated by a)stockbrokers and b)pseudo gangsters there was no one I held in great contempt than the customers. Apart from possibly the management, depending on who had screwed up most egregiously that day.

I've since discovered academia to be the way and the light way; neither management nor customers!

1. Alistair
        Coat

You profess to teach?

"I've since discovered academia to be the way and the light way; neither management nor customers!"

I wouldn't want you as a teacher if I wasn't your *custom*er.

2. chris lively

So, you prefer to be with a bunch of freeloaders that couldn't make it in the real world? ;)

1. LaeMing
          Joke

He said he found academia, not middle-management!

1. englishr

"He said he found academia, not middle-management!"

Uh oh. I'm middle management in academia :-(

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The premium paid for Apple products is often on the quality of service.

Obviously some people seem to think this premium covers washing their phone and dropping it too.

9. AbelSoul
    Black Helicopters

"Do you know the real identity of FruitStandSlave? Get in touch and let us know."

You want someone to grass on him?

Why?

So you can expose him and perhaps get him sacked?

Or just to invite him round for a cup of tea and shoot-the-genius-shit about all things fruity?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Do you know the real identity of FruitStandSlave? Get in touch and let us know."

Perhaps his or her name is Sam Sung or Sonya Beech?

</rotfl>

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like