back to article CERN: 2015 restart causes tech rethink

Going beyond “seeing” the Higgs boson to “understanding” it is going to cause a data flood for CERN researchers, and its infrastructure services manager Tim Bell says that's pushed the outfit to increasingly look beyond its own iron. Speaking to the OpenStack summit in Paris, Bell says the challenges even of the old Large …

1. Terafirma-NZ

No problem

Didn't Microsoft just announce unlimited storage on OneDrive for enterprise customers?

Problem solved no?

1. Mark 85
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: No problem

I think you owe me a keyboard for that one. But on second thought, I wonder how MS defines "unlimited".. bwahahahaha....

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: I wonder how MS defines "unlimited"

Probably the same way AT&T does.

' "unlimited" until we arbitrarily deem it excessive and severely throttle your throughput rate'

2. roselan

Re: No problem

amusingly, a 10 Gb/s upload link should be enough capacity to transfer data produced in a year.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=30+petabytes+per+year+in+gigabits+per+second

(of course data comes in "bursts" when collisions actually occur, so you would need to cache data locally before uploading it)

3. Paul Kinsler

Re: unlimited?

Good news, that - the LHC could start keeping all the data their instruments generate, rather than just the tiny fraction of interesting collisions. Could be fun... :-)

2. roger stillick
    Pint

CERN 2015 and the X-Planes

Nice to know that the instrumentation and the Computer power can only monitor a snapshot view of the working CREN device...what is actually happening in the collider is unmeasureable and not storeable due to equipment and computer under engineering...

NASA / DARPA recently said the very same thing with their X-Plane program... instrumentation and computers were no way up to the task... most of the science was a WAG... testing consisted of kicking the tires, climbing in, strapping on, lighting the fire, and go !!... hopefully to return...eg= the X-3 was never tested - just flown and after crashing the first test plane, NASA found the second identical plane had flight control surfaces that could not allow either flight or landing= an instant Museum Piece (i's beautiful)... this went on thru the X-15 that was capable of flying to space or failing randomly due to some unknown factors ( a really expensive, dangerous WAG of a plane).

IMHO= CERN 2015 is precisely the NASA / DARPA X-Plane Program with different stuff to try and not blow up... so i asked my son the Scientist if 'not blowing things up' was any part of the scientific method, suprisingly he said as long as documented, it is... SMALL PROBLEM= CERN 2015 is neither properly instrumented or documented when running (a snapshot of a h-bomb test tells you nothing other than one occured). what is needed is a mulligan of CERN 2014 with no increas in power until 100 percent documentation of what occurs is possible... Then Just Do It, beer time (sorry NIKE)...RS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like