back to article Microsoft's Bing hopes to bag market share with ... search apps

Microsoft’s director of search Stefan Weitz has admitted that Bing.com probably can’t compete with Google’s search engine in a head-to-head race, but reckons Redmond's a contender in search applications. Stefan Weitz, director of search at Microsoft “The question is, where is search really going?” he said at the Web Summit …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Coat

Love-hate relationship with Bing

Bit of an odd one. On my PC, Bing is just horrible, so I use DuckDuckGo, On my Phone with WP8.1, Bing seems to make sense.

Maybe MS have something with this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love-hate relationship with Bing

Downvoted for publicly admitting in a technology forum that you use a phone with WP8.1

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a user can search in one language, such as Arabic, and have results returned from English-language sites, that are then translated into Arabic for the user.

A nice way to admit that their results are shit in languages other than English ^^

3. Tim Wolfe-Barry
    Joke

But It's No Good!

Nothing to see...

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The only good thing about Bing

is that it is not Google.

That's about it.

1. Indolent Wretch

Re: The only good thing about Bing

It's Microsoft

Think about that

2. Mikel

Yes. Bing Is Not Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bing Is Not Google.

There fixed it for you.

1. h4rm0ny

Nice. Carrying on the fine tradition of Gnu's Not Unix and Thing Without An Interesting Name.

5. Anomalous Cowshed

Any competition in this field...

...is a good thing for the perpetuation of human knowledge, because the average Western person's blind reliance on Google as a universal arbiter of all knowledge is frightening.

However, on a completely unrelated topic, doesn't it look like the gentleman in the photo loves his hair so much, that like noblemen in the 17th century, he hasn't had a shampoo in years? It looks like there's a worm crawling down the right side of his face...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Feel bad for th guy

Imagine getting up everyday and your job is take on Google with Bing.

I suspect he spends a lot of time Goggling ways to overcome depression ,,, {}:>))

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Feel bad for th guy

Looks like he found your post : {}:>))

7. zen1

I fail to understand

why Microsoft continues to piss away money on a service that either nobody wants, changes immediately after they get their pc's or openly mocks. They really need to decide on which core product lines to focus on and go after them with a vengeance, because they've lost a LOT of momentum because of Ballmer and a lot of, quite frankly, stupid mistakes. Bing being one of many.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: I fail to understand

They do it because allowing Google to control so many areas of the web leads to them being at a competitive disadvantage. Take YouTube for instance. It is by far the market dominant site for sharing video. MS wanted to build a YouTube app for Windows Phone. In fact they did, and complied with all Google's TOS and just wanted to make one feature equivalent to those on Android and iPhone. Google blocked them because YouTube is owned by Google and Google also control the mid and low-ends of the Smartphone market, where Windows Phone was trying to become a competitor. So Google were trying to squash it.

That's why MS try to establish themselves in this area and not rely on Google - because any dominant market player abuses their dominance to keep out competition in their affiliated areas. MS did it back in the day. Google are doing it now. Apple do it with their phones but aren't services orientated so it's limited in scope. It's just protecting yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's an awful lot of bleating that added up to "refused to comply with the TOS".

1. ratfox

Bing has 30% market share in the US. That's not irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Bing has 30% market share in the US. That's not irrelevant

It is when you see what they are googling... Ahem I mean binging

2. stephanh

30% of what?

Bing has almost[1] 30% of the US[2] desktop[3] market...

provided we also include Yahoo in their numbers (at approx 10%) which uses the same engine. Unfortunately for them, for the Yahoo use they get no revenue, in fact they have to pay[4] them.

[1] "Almost" is "not" spelled with six letters.

[2] Globally, Bing is "almost" as big as Yandex.

[3] So not including this newfangled "mobile" stuff.

[4] The payments accounted for 25% of Yahoo's revenue for 2013.

1. Hans 1
              Happy

Re: 30% of what?

Does this mean every time I use yahoo search I have MS pay! yahoo! money!? I'll switch to yahoo! immediately and I advise everybody to do the same ... let! MS! pay! billions!

2. Mikel

They are trying to cut off Google's air supply. It is not working out.

8. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Translation...

... is one area where Bing definitely exceeds Google. Google Translate looks like it's been abandoned, and still has a nasty habit of randomly inverting the sense of German sentences that use "es sei denn" (="unless" in English), or simply transliterating Japanese hiragana rather than translating the words written in them.

Google has a very good index, but that doesn't mean that everything else they do is equally good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Translation...

I've also found my windows phone does a much better job of speech recognition than my android did, and all that's done by web APIs, not on the device. Seems to me Microsoft are ahead of Google there. But for plain old fashioned search, I still just prefer Google.

9. Roger B

I like it

I've compared results and not seen much difference between the two, tried the Bing Vs Google tests and found the results quite similar, plus I like the daily changing photos, I use it on my Windows PCs and my windows phone. I just wish they would let us UK users have access to Bing Rewards.

The translation function works fantastically in twitter as well, at least I assume it does, what it translates seems to make sense at least.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: I like it

2 years ago I had to search Microsoft's own website for some information. Since Bing is a Microsoft product I figured it would be best in searching a Microsoft website. Bing wasn't really doing a good job. So I tried Google with "site:microsoft.com" and I found what I needed faster every time. I eventually concluded that if Bing has trouble with Microsoft searches, it will be even worse for WWW searches. I know this was 2 years ago so I do not know if Bing has improved searching microsoft.com or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

After every Patch Tuesday I click the More Information links to go to the KB article, get 'Oops!' because Microsoft haven't put the article up yet, copy the no. into the Bing search field, select 'Downloads', and regularly get 0 results. Half the time if I then put the same KB no. into Google I get a link to the Microsoft download.

It didn't used to be like that. It used to be the links worked from 6pm (GMT). And there was no Bing.

There was Friends, though. It wasn't in Seattle, but there was a coffee shop. They could have called it 'Niles'.

Or 'Punxsutawny Phil'.

2. Ole Juul

"Ive compared results and not seen much difference between the two,"

That's not my experience. I've been doing the same searches every day these weeks because we've got municipal elections and I've got some new sites up. So, I just now did similar searches, and variations, on Bing. There's not much there compared to Google. I think part of the problem is that Bing seems to take a year to gather all the links. I say that because things that have been up for a couple of years seem to show up just fine. Google picks up new sites in a day or so without any effort on my part, and updates sometimes show up within minutes. In my opinion, and probably most people's, that's better than waiting a year when it comes to things like news and elections.

10. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

each time

I am faced with searching on Bing, I find the results missing the mark. I'm not saying Google is perfect, but on search terms it seems better.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have probably used bing thousands of times.

Yes it's true. I admit it. I've really used Bing thousands of times. I've only ever typed one word into it though: google

1. montyburns56

Re: I have probably used bing thousands of times.

It's a good job that you didn't type bing as that would have destroyed the interweb.

1. Ole Juul

It's a good job that you didn't type bing as that would have destroyed the interweb.

Is that the Big Bing theory?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's a good job that you didn't type bing as that would have destroyed the interweb."

I don't think that is a concern with Bing as it's unlikely to find iteslf (even with the lights on, and a map etc.).

2. h4rm0ny

>>"Yes it's true. I admit it. I've really used Bing thousands of times. I've only ever typed one word into it though: google"

And we should take the advice of someone who needs a search engine to find google.com because...?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

because...

Fire up IE, type in the search string whilst it's loading up and trying to render whatever crap is the homepage, hit enter and the results appear in bing. ctrl+x the search phrase and type google, click the link and ctrl+c. Ok you could fire up IE, hit stop, type google.com (but whilst you're typing IE will probably reset the URL anyway) and then do the seach but this kinda crap catches you out doesn't it?

1. Slawek

Re: because...

And you can't change the home page?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two most common Bing request

Search for Chrome/Firefox/... to relapse IE.

Search for "How set Google as default search in IE) for those times you can't replace IE.

13. CLD

Good on ya Bing

I like Bing - there I admit it... especially their beautiful photo's each day. Good to see photographers being supported in this manner.

I don't dislike Google, but I do dislike how they monitor what I search and then I get adverts popping up all over the place using those terms. Better than getting random adverts though I suppose... I use Bing by default and move to Google when I cannot find what I want... even then I am not guaranteed to find what I want.

Bing is the underdog, we all know it. I find it amusing that many of the innovations Bing has implemented to try and get market share, Google has copied (seems like they have forgotten how to innovate). Example for this is the image search and continually scrolling page.

If Microsoft supported Firefox, so that Bing became the default search engine for Firefox, it would be interesting to see how much market share they would steal... So many home users have no idea what a search engine is and use the one that was installed last time they visited a page.

Sad to see so many workplaces defaulting the search engine to Google (hell, in my current workplace, I cannot even change the search providers) and putting links on their intranets to Google (apparently staff struggle to use web browsers).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good on ya Bing

Actually, Bing has been copying Google for years (eg, hiybbprqag) - you probably see it in Bing first because you don't use Google. But I don't care who copied who, just who provides it better - being inspired by someone else, and improving on it, is good for all of us (unless you're Apple).

Microsoft paying Firefox wont make a dent in their market share. Most people who use Firefox are the types to use what's best for their needs, rather than what's pushed upon them - otherwise they wouldn't even be using FF.

The reason people make Google their default (computers now come with Bing as default) is because it's actually useful to them. Google know more about them than any other on-line provider, which lets them serve the better search results. For those who don't base their opinions on what they read on IT forums, that is a feature.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Natural language search

Frankly the mind boggles. Bing is appalling enough as it is, and I dread to imagine what it would spit out with natural language. If MS are true to form they'll merely move the goalposts and change the language to suit bings 'talents' and expect the rest of us to adopt as a national language -

"Microsoft Enhanced English*, especially re-engineered for the 21st century, and now containing 95 percent fewer words and incredible MS SimpleGrammar! So simple even an MS exec can use it! (*Note - may be incompatible with non-MS versions of English. WARNING: do not use when instructing others to use heavy machinery or where safety of life is an issue!!)"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like