back to article Sky ponders 200,000-customer MVNO 'trial'. Soft launch, anyone?

Rupert Murdoch’s Sky is looking to become a mobile network in partnership with Vodafone, which would help tout services to the telly company’s five million customers. 200,000 customers were contacted to see if they would like to take part in a “trial”, which seems like at least 100 times as many people as you’d want on a trial …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sky and Vodafone

Two companies I once had dealings with and will be more than happy to never deal with again in my entire life.......

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

As far as I am concerned....

Sky = pay to watch 25 mins of adverts per hour...

Vodaphone = pay for no coverage

Neither of these companies fill me any longing to use, but let them launch I will still watch with interest what happens...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As far as I am concerned....

Sky is fast becoming just like US TV where

Adverts are interupted by Programming.

To be avoided at all costs.(Like VM)

2. Fihart

Re: As far as I am concerned....

"Sky = pay to watch 25 mins of adverts per hour.."

Amazing that people pay a sub and then have to sit thru bloody ads. And from my small experience of watching Sky at a friend's place the programmes seemed pretty dire -- but then that may just have been her bad taste.

Some landlords have taken Sky's shilling and let them install dishes and remove terrestrial aerial wiring so that tenants have to pay to watch TV. Luckily, even the oldest Sky box (couple of quid at car boot sale) will work as a Freesat receiver offering most of the same channels as Freeview, plus a few extras.

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Coat

"200,000 customers were contacted to see if they would like to take part in a “trial”, which seems like at least 100 times as many people as you’d want on a trial and more like a soft launch."

But most people contacted will realise that both companies are absolute pants, and so the number that agree to take part will only be about 1/100 of the number you'd want for a trial.

4. king of foo

MVNO; Mischievious Vultures Need Opiates?

Initialisms confuse and anger me, especially those that are in an illogical order. Surely VMNO would make more grammatical sense; Virtual Mobile Network, um, Orangutans. You know, they're like TMNT, only less green.

1. cosymart
      WTF?

Re: MVNO; Mischievious Vultures Need Opiates?

So will someone please tell me what MVNO means as the article fails in that respect.

1. king of foo

Vegan Mutant Ninja Owls.

Vegan Mutant Ninja Owls.

Vegan Mutant Ninja Owls.

1. ZillaOfManilla

Heroes in a plume of feathers,

Owl power!

1. Michael Habel

Heroes on the Half-Wing...

Owl Power!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will they learn ?

Its been a fact that Vodafone signal sucks big time. Yet all the big boys latch on to them. CPW ( in all its iterations, TalkTalk, Talkmobile etc), Sky, and others.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the Old boys network and Govt. ministerial nudges.

Its also well known that Vodafone gives second class treatment to MVNO's over their own lot, via speed throttling and contention on top of poor Data signals. (I hear their 2G is ok for voice calls).

Having said that, both these megacorps are greedy bastards and scratching each other's backs.

1. aidanstevens

Re: When will they learn ?

What happened to the Vodafone/O2 signal sharing deal that was on the cards a year or two ago? It would actually make a Vodafone based network a viable option rather than the complete joke it is at the moment.

6. Dr_N

Voicemail

Will the voicemail service come with PINs pre-shared with other parts of Murdoch's empire?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Voicemail

How secure would your voicemail be?!

1. Wyrdness

Re: Voicemail

Depends on how famous you are.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MVNO=Mobile Virtual Network Operator? "Sky Mobile"=Vodafone network.

Rushing to the coat stand as you read.

9. eJ2095

Tesco

Isnt Tesco mobile being put up for sale........

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like